Vegetation Draw Distance Fix

Third Reminder to keep this topic on topic and refrain from discussing further what contributions others are prepared to make to the community, free or otherwise or this topic will be closed. Also reminder of Code of Conduct.

1 Like

Have you noticed that all the tall buildings at bigger cities comes visible as far as 20 nautical miles! Iā€™am using the Blog mod and it is amazing how smooth and stutter-free the sim now is even there are a lot more stuff to render. My Terrain LOD is 125. No need for Terrain LOD 200 anymore due to blurry Bing Maps imagery is now filled with trees and bushes.

After installing this mod I was struggling to tell the difference in flight, but holy ā– ā– ā– ā– , comparing my screenshots, this really does this business! Click on the before image and use the arrows to go to the after.

Before:

After:

I am noticing some stuttering now but canā€™t confirm or not whether that is this mod or not. Needs further testing.

Great mod, thanks!

3 Likes

I think Paco mentions a good point about why this mod should be even needed to begin with. This should be incorporated into the game, or at least add a slider in the video options for tree LOD.

Asobo, please.

1 Like

LIkely they donā€™t give us that option to ā€œsave us from ourselvesā€. I mean, they gave us a render scaling slider, and look at how many people are whining like little b***hes that they canā€™t get playable frame rates when running at 4K Ultra with 200% scaling. lol

1 Like

They should have implemented a builtin Benchmark tool, ala Forza Horizon/ Gears of War

Would have helped a lot

1 Like

That I get but many of us have incorporated the mod and have not had issues with frame rates so Asobo could have given us an 8 mile draw distance for trees quite easily and it would have been fine.

2 Likes

Not only that but it makes a huge difference to visuals. If the visual difference was minimal, and the performance impact was significant, then I would understand them trying ā€œto save us from ourselvesā€ but not the case with this particular setting.

2 Likes

I looked at your comparison pics and itā€™s not clear which is better. The second shot has way more trees, but it appears they are covering up some rivers and roads. I guess we need a google earth shot to add to the comparison.

Covering roads and rivers - thatā€™s exactly what trees do IRL when you look at the landscape from no too high above. They make VFR flying more difficult.
I remember looking from a hill of some 150 m into the forested lowland region of Lusatia where large open pit mining lakes are mixed with some villages, roads and railway inbetween - and saw nothing but trees to the horizon, just here and there a comms transmitter or some high voltage masts.

1 Like

I mean Iā€™m pretty sure its not adding trees, just rendering them at a further distance so not fault of the mod really.

A big difference I saw was that by default a lot of the trees appear melted or spikey. This mod helps with that a lot. Check the left side trees on my shots.

Yep, its completely unnatural the way the sim shows rivers with no trees whatsoever. Look at any Google image and in many places we cannot see water for tree cover.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the LOD setting for your drone?

Itā€™s a real drone, not from MSFS. :wink:

Yes I know. You said it was IRL. So whatā€™s the LOD setting?

I think MSFS over does it sometimes. My home airport, KPNE in Philadelphia, has a runway 33 that goes right over route 1, an 8 lane highway. You can barely see it in Msfs because of all the trees covering the highway. I looked at in google maps and you can see the highway easily. Iā€™ll try to take a screenshot from MSFS. The screenshot of google maps I took is too large to upload.

What does it look like in Bing maps? Bing is used for MSFS. Same trees?
Whatā€™s interesting where I live, Googleā€™s map is almost 10 years old and some trees are young. Bing image is 4 years old - trees a bit more mature.

Bing shows Almost the same image. Philadelphia is a large city with current maps and route 1 is a major 8 lane highway with areas between the roads. There is almost no tree cover. It is a really wide open area.

I see that now looking at Route 1 on both Google & Bing.

Blog mod updated: ā€œVersion 1.7.2 includes minor optimizations.ā€

https://www.flightsimulator.blog/2021/01/02/increase-trees-draw-distance/