Velocity One Trim Wheel Randomly Pegs full nose down

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No (Xbox version so no mods)

Brief description of the issue:

While in flight the trim will just suddenly go full nose down. There seems to be no rhyme or reason it just happens. I’d say on more occurrences it happens after flying around for +30min or so. So I can do several attempts at pattern work with no issue. The only time it happened shortly after take-off was when I quit a flight and started a new flight. Happens in all aircraft I’ve tried flying in. And has happened every flight unless I just do a few touch-n-go’s and quit. No relation to autopilot either. Was in the 152 just last night doing some power on stalls, headed back to the airport and on base it happened, so no autopilot engagement and disengagement. And it does not happen when touching the trim wheel either.
I’ve made sure no other buttons are binded to elevator trim on either the keyboard, mouse or yoke.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

It’s random

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Unsure. It’s the latest whatever it is since xbox keeps my games updated.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Like OP states, the occurences are random. It happens with any plane, any weather, any location and you just have to pray that it doesn’t happen. Because when it does, it is violent.

All of it has been explained. The trim will go -100% and force the nose down.

1 Like

I have experienced the same issue. Usually the problem occurs during final approach to an airport. I disengage the autopilot and get the aircraft configured for landing, I.e. gear down and full landing flaps deployed. Suddenly the plane will nose dive into the ground.

I believe there is a bug in the TB V1 software that is causing the elevator trim to go full forward causing the aircraft to nosedive.

I have no screenshot or video.

This is a known conflict betweeen the VelocityOne hardware and the MSFS software. The problem lies in the fact that the VelocityOne HW saves the trim wheel position localy in its own memory. If you leave the physical trim wheel in a certain position and then engage autopilot for a while, the autopilot will change the trimwheel position during the flight. When you disengage the autopilot the trimwheel in the sim is likely in a very different position compared to what VelocityOne has stored in the memory, and as soon as you change the physical wheel slightly you will jump back to that VelocityOne position very abruptly, with a very big step.

Thats why this issue only appears after disengaging the autopilot. If you don’t use the autopilot this will never happen. From that perspective this issue is very predictable (it’s not random as the title suggests).

Not sure if the issue can be fixed by Asobo alone. It might require a collaboration with Turtle Beach, which makes a fix very unlikely. We probably will have to live with it, at least in the foreseeable future.

My issues are not due to autopilot. My issues occur when never even using autopilot. Therefore it is quite random for me. One thing ive been experimenting with is going to the training menu on the yoke and running the trim wheel through its full range before a flight as if I was calibrating it. It seems when I do this I dont always get the problem. But my sample size is too small to say for certain.

3 Likes

I also have this issue, it is not autopilot related. Has an example I can be flying along usually this happens to me on an approach, so I’ll have been using the trim wheel to adjust the trim of the aircraft and not using autopilot. I will be making my approach and all of a sudden as the original poster has indicated the trim goes to full nose down without even touching the trim wheel. It happens in an instant from, without touching the trim wheel, trim goes to full nose down. Not autopilot vs
cached trim position related and definitely an issue.

4 Likes

I see, then its a different issue from what I described, which reminds me about a similar problem I have had with the VelocityOne when I think about it. I have also experienced random button presses with this yoke, not affecting the trim wheel in my case, but other button assignments on the throttle quadrant e.g. the landing gear and such. My preliminary conclusion has been that this product must be very sensitive to EMC disturbances, and if so, it’s a pure hardware weakness that can’t be fixed with sim updates.

Another occurrence that makes me believe this is the case is that the yoke has sometimes turned on my xbox by itself from sleeping by just staying plugged in but I haven’t physically touched it. A couple of times it happened exactly when I plugged in my phone charger in very close vicinity, and this is why I think it’s a EMC problem, at least in my case. Now I always unplug the USB after finishing a sim session to avoid at least this latter problem.

I don’t know, I guess the only way to fix this is to wrap the yoke in aluminium foil and put a ferrite on the USB cord :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I personally haven’t had any other issues recently, but now you mention it I do have a nagging feeling that this was an issue with the Velocityone yoke back when it was released (I picked it up straight away).

I suspect it is something for turtle beach to iron out on a firmware update.

I noticed the same thing, where it would just randomly turn on my xbox if I didnt unplug it right away.

Turtle Beach wants to rma my yoke and replace it, but I dont know if thats going to solve anything. Then Im just without a yoke for weeks for nothing.

Why are you being rude? I’m trying to help to pinpoint the problem based on my experience. I might be wrong, I might be right. What do you suggest as the root cause?

I have the same issue with the trim. I have also had it happen with the Turtle Beach Flight Stick.

1 Like

I agree it’s probably hardware related issue. A while back there was an issue with yoke causing a hard right turn. At the time it was said that it was probably a flight sim bug but it turned out this only happened when chronometer was turned on. Also the random button presses. Also was getting random buttons getting activated on the quadrant and yoke itself. Eventually firmware fixed it.

After the latest firmware update they also messed up headphone jack. With headphones connected, any button press or control movements would result in static while headphones were connected. And ofcourse full forward trim causing the plane to dive with rudder pedals. Particularly frustrating when you’re about to land and end up crashing. Only way to fix this was to remove trim wheel assignment and use buttons for trim.

Now when I use the yoke I connect the rudder pedals through the flightstick (with control profile just for rudders), I have not had any trim issues when using it this way.
They should have released pedals that plugin directly to the xbox instead of through the yoke.

I don’t get the trim issue when I’m just using the flightstick and the throttle quadrant (connected via yoke). So if you also own a flightstick connect the pedals to it while using the yoke.

3 Likes

I’ve had this issue since getting the TB rudder and adding it to the TB yoke control. Like the OP says, it seems random, though it sometimes is connected with making small trim adjustments, like when getting ready to land. In the past few days, it’s been more common and always occurs as a peg to -100% that if I’m lucky I can recover from and the about two minutes later a peg +100% that I haven’t been able to recover from.

I’m also playing on Xbox. I’ve seen this reported multiple times, in multiple places, so I’m really ready to see a fix. I suspect cable issues, which are probably causing the other common failures with the TB rudder … brake controls not working until cycling the rudder controls, sudden loss of power to both TB controls, etc.

I also have the same nose-down dive occurence, usually on approach. My situation has nothing to do with autopilot and is very random. I also check my elevator trim position through the V1F training option on the yoke screen to make sure each flight is started with a “0” degree trim. This is very frustrating. I am using XBox X and the TB V1F.

same. Random when changing screens / views

usually happens when landing

I have never had the nose pitch down issue. I have a few profiles set up and one thing I don’t do, is select single or multi engine profile within the yoke itself. I find that it doesn’t matter at all.

Exact same problem here. I used the yoke and quadrant for about 3 weeks and think it happened a few times then. But since adding the rudders it is definitely happening more often. At least twice in a 3 hour session with various planes tonight. Even on final in a Zin Cub that doesn’t even have an auto pilot. I set trim to zero on that plane efore the flight and never touch the trim wheel. On final, bam -100% trim straight into a stall.

2 Likes

So just figured id come back and update my findings after all this time. First off, I followed Turtle Beach’s suggestion to RMA the yoke. Waste of time. Was not an issue with my Yoke. Dont RMA your yoke.

What I have found to work for me is when I load into the airplane I bring up the training menu on the yoke and I run the trim wheel through the full range of motion. Obviously this only works if your loading into a flight on the ground. This seems to have solved the issue. I havent had a nose down trim issue since but my flights have all been 20min or less. Curious if this helps anybody else.

3 Likes

I had five flights in a row without any issue with trim wheel and nose dives. I tried your suggestion of going into the Training Mode on the V1 and running the wheel through its full range of motion. I did this after loading a flight plan and the plane was sitting on the tarmac. Half way through the flight at cruising altitude, (10,000’) I had two short nose drops. The autopilot recovered and I made it to my destination. I wonder if I had not moved the trim wheel through its full range of motion before takeoff if I would have had any issue. Was this just a coincidence? Just thought I would pass this on to you.

This issue is so interesting. It seems so many people have such different results yet the same issue. At first I thought I was alone in my issues. Then I find out more people have similar issues. But there seems to be no right solution that works for all. I really wish msfs witers would help get involved to finding the solution. Its no fun planning a flight only to have it ruined by some unexpected full nose down trim issue at unrecoverable height.

The only time I have issues is when i dont touch my trim wheel until the first time i need it. Each time i do the full range of motion i have no issues. Coincidence, maybe, but the sample size is too small to say for sure. If i get a nose dive issue ill report back for sure.