Very abrupt weather (wind) transition. Erratic wind behavior (Still present after AAU 1)

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

The wind at high ALT seems very erratic in certain location, extremely high frequency updates (Video linked), the wind ranges from 10 knots - 17 knots, but it updates like 10 times a second on the flight display, causing plane to constantly experience turbulence, but then transition to smooth wind in the location indicated (Screenshot), with constant 25 knots wind. And the transition upsetting the plane and disconnecting the AP.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Red crossed sections are where I experienced erratic wind.

Provide coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

11397.154841m
11398.829003m
11398.186920m

Provide time & date of the observed Weather issue

17:00 Zulu, July 8th

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Live weather, flying at high altitude

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

N/A

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

No

anywahere, any altitude, live weather winds are simply hectic

https://youtube.com/shorts/dfK65Vk-vTo?feature=share

14.22933 -61.16960

15/07 13:40Z

just fly in this area at any altitude and watch the wind

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Also found another similar open thread: Regression: upper winds incorrect + harsh changes 17:00z, 0800z, 0900z
@Moderator: Not sure if they could be merged ?

No.

The upper winds are incorrect and seem to be displaying outdated data in regards to both their direction and their speed. Today my flight for example I observed the direction off from around 30-60 degrees and the speed also incorrect by a range from around 25-40 knots. What I observe though is that at exactly 17:00z, the winds momentarily switch to the correct data. Before switching back again to the incorrect data.

Here you can see passing the point ‘BALAN’ where the winds for FL370 should be 294/48. See here the abrupt change at 1700z where the winds become 296/47, within the tolerance of where they should be.

Now see only 4 seconds later, where they switch back to they were before to being incorrect, the same as they were before the change at 1700z

10th July 2022 @ 17:00z

Fly with live weather and see the abrupt change at 17:00z and also observe incorrect upper wind speed/direction before and after the change.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

1 Like

My whole weather changed at 06:00Z, sounds like it happens every hour or something?

From this

To this.

And the wind changed at the same time. Hope they can fix those hard transitions in weather soon. I know this is not a new issue in su10 but feels like a really important thing to fix soon. The clouds are a bit better in su10 but whats the point with that if we get those hard transitions.

4 Likes

I think is matter of handling transition, it shouldnt be abrubt (that remains me old FSX weather or even Flight Simulator 2000 where suddenly you got a new metar and everything suddenly changes(

1 Like

Transitions from what though? When it’s doing these harsh switches with the upper winds, it seems to be switching from old data, to current data. So seems it is more of a data feed issue I think.

Transition from old data to new data. For example, if you have winds from 200 at 30 and the next data package comes from 360 at 20 the sim should start transitioning from 200 to 360 and from 30 to 20 knots. Not rocket science from programming perspective, just put a timer (lets say 1 min) and start changing the wind parameters, simple solution to avoid hard changes. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

The thing is though, why should it ever have old data in the first place? Often it seems the upper wind data can be 24 hours old, which suggests to me something is going wrong with the wind data and then it seems to eventually update to the current winds.

They need to find a way to stop it reverting from injecting old data.

Experienced this again today, once again exactly at 1700z followed by a further abrupt change at 1720Z

Experienced two harsh upper wind changes on the flight so far, one at exactly 0800z and 0900z. Moreover, the speed and direction of the upper winds is incorrect once again.

Now again at 0902z. But whatever winds it’s switching between, it’s not the correct data.

Another update at 0927z and now the winds seem to be accurate.

I’m regulalry experiencing chaotic winds in live weather around South East - UK (Dover area). Seems like every time I try to fly but latest is 13:30BST. Wind direction veers by as much as 20 or 30 degrees , speed is more stable. (Currently wind is swinging between 110 and 130 degrees / 5 - 11 kts varying by the second). This is at low levels (circa 2500ft). Aircraft seem to be affected very differently AH Chipmunk quite bad jerks in yaw axis in response, Asobob Cub much less so.

How much does direction veer and how much does the wind varies IRL at that location?

Tried again this a.m. and the effect is much reduced and more believable (+/- 10 degrees / 5 knots). Out of EGBK this morning 10:00BST winds resemble the MeteoBlue data closeley and gusting is much less extreme.

1 Like

I’ll also add to this thread and say that I’m experiencing the same abrupt upper-level wind changes as SU9. Usually these are abrupt changes that happen only a few times a flight, but some of these can be rather violent. For example, to go from a 20 kt crosswind to a +30 knt tailwind is rather violent and results in the plane rocking back and forth for a few seconds, sometimes even shooting the plane up +1000 ft before AP disconnects.

I get the wind data can be inconsistent, especially when going between METAR and forecasted winds, but I’m quite certain a wind transition can be easily implemented to prevent this from happening. For example, it would be ideal to implement a significant wind change over 2 minutes rather than instantly, as the current sim seems to be doing.

2 Likes

Yes

Cruising above Italy at FL340 (near Milano). At exactly 1700Z a sudden wind shift occured, headwind changed to tailwind. 3 minutes later the wind changed again

1 Like

And again at 1723Z:

2 Likes

We had that yesterday on a group flight over Spain northwest of Madrid. We are all on SU9.
Changed from 30kt crosswind to 50kt tailwind and then ten minutes later back.

The wind change was also accompanied by a sudden pressure change both times, so my altimeter went from 34.000ft to 33.000ft which the AP corrected for and then from 34.000ft to 35.600ft.

The wind change caused overspeed and and the pressure change caused altitude alert to sound. AP disconnected.

What’s interesting was that these sudden changes were not at the same time for all of us but they were all at the same location. So those flying behind experienced the same changes a bit later.
So it seems not to be related to data updates, there just seem to be “spots” with wrong or outdated data.

It’s no Beta regression for sure, just wanted to add to that feedback that it’s the same on release version.

6 Likes

Same thing for me. At 17:00Z the wind changed from 11kts to 47KTS at flightlevel 310. The pressure changed and indicated altitude 2000Ft lower at the same time. Then 5 minutes later it switched back to normal and then back to wrong again.

1 Like

@admins is there anyway to get this issue to the devs? From what I can see this has never been bug logged or anything and is not featured in any ‘known issues’ list.

3 Likes