Very abrupt weather (wind) transition. Erratic wind behavior (Still present after AAU 1)

Dear Asobo,

Thanks to your appalling weather transitions I now have a method by which to check the accuracy of my watch every hour…

2 Likes

Turbulence is good, but thunderstorms needs an complete overhaul ( animations & texturing ), rain & snow also. We also miss in cloud turbulence and momentarily due ro incorrect winds ( aprubt transitions) makes landing impossible / banking left to right during ils final approach, no matter what kind of plane.

It is so buggy these days. Please fix this annoying issue, but do not remove turbulence and „ natural“ gusts of wind. Momentarily mostly unplayable with this issue.

7 Likes

The wind in certain situation is overdosed and reflects not nearly how it is in real life. After two years, it could and must be better done. Weather is the basic in a flight sim. I know how it is in real life flying, but i don’t know how it shoud be in a sim to have the mix between desktop flying and real life feelings.

1 Like

This issue now crashed the last two flights I did with Live Weather in the 737.

The wind shifts from 70kn tailwind to 40kn headwind in a second causing the plane to overspeed and destroying it within seconds.

Please fix the live weather! Flying with a weather preset is boring.

2 Likes

I find the live weather transitions really dramatically weird. Flying along in CAVOK wind from the East, and then next minute there’s a miraculous cloud bank and stronger westerlies…

There are other threads for that issue: METAR keeps disrupting the weather/ bugged weather/Cumulus/CB clouds only/no medium to high cloud coverage
Haze Layer Still shows up Abruptly

yes, thanks, but the wind change was why I pointed it out

2 Likes

I think the solution btw IRL conditions and “desktop” conditions could hopefully be solved with a respective switch similar to the assists. People not wanting real life weather sim would just switch it off or setting it to “easy”. Both sides win.
Personally I am also for a more correct weather sim and can concur with many of the above mentioned issues.

I think the point is that there is currently no correct weather in the sim.

The wind switching from 70kn tailwind to 40tn headwind in a second that happens in the sim does not happen in reality.

4 Likes

Nearly fell out of the sky today as wind changed from 57 kts on the nose to 114 kts from the right, then back to 62 from the front and again up to 117 kts from the right, which it remained and gradually reduced in the approach. Vicinity of EKDAP in FL400.

1 Like

I have done a few flights. Most of them with airliners like PMDG or FBW. What the heck is going on, esspecially near the ground. Wildest windfluctations in all directions and very very fast between 10kts. Wherever in this world. And at the end not reported in the METAR, for sure because it is a big Bug…AGAIN AND AGAIN.

2 Likes

I am also still seeing these abrupt transitions as described by several others. Like @SkipTalbot mentioned, the abrupt shift is usually followed by a second abrupt shift back to the previous wind within a couple of minutes. I usually only see this on long cross-country flights. Maybe if I’m flying short hops in a small local area, I’m not moving between adjacent tiles of weather data stored on the server?

I wonder if these abrupt shifts are the “violent” gusts that Robert from PMDG has been talking about in his development updates. When I compare the affect of wind gusts in the sim to real-world videos of airplanes, the turbulence in the sim actually looks less intense than reality. But these abrupt wind shifts are definitely enough to overstress an airframe in real life and completely unrealistic.

Take note of time and report the time when it is happening. I reporting that this happening every day at 17:00Z.

1 Like

I get it on the hour probably every hour, and again I just really notice it because of my balloon flights. The balloon doesn’t really cover much ground unless I get up in the jetstream, but I still see the 2-minute wind shift bug even a few minutes into and a couple miles from where I launched, as long as it’s right on the top of the hour.

Maybe you don’t see the bug on a short hop because this isn’t affecting METAR based weather and you’re still within the METAR’s influence? I’m usually away from weather reporting airports on these balloon flights, but I’ve seen the bug globally, from Newfoundland to the South Pacific. Or maybe your flight is completed within the hour?

I get a two minute wind shift every single hour. There may indeed be additional data bugs. 17z sounds like it could be about the time the 12z NEMs model gets loaded in Flight Simulator as it can take several hours for the run to complete and the data published for use by the sim. It might switch to the new model run without transitioning the data properly.

3 Likes

Agree, but i found it as a bug anyway because Asobo should know when this happening and could add a smoothing at that specific time. Maybe add variable that says that winds can’t increase or decrease more than 1 kts between 16:45z-17:15z. Then between that time we will not notice those changes much. Because the winds will only inrease by 1 kts until it gets to the new updated winds. Now it can change from 50KTS to 80KTS instantly. The new updated winds are unknown, but the time of day it’s happening is known.

Interesting details. My average flight is somewhere between 1 and 2.5 hours long. Lately, I’ve been flying the Milviz/Blackbird 310R almost exclusively on cross-country flights between 150 and 250 nm long. Normal cruising altitude has been between 6,000 and 9,000 ft. Most of my flying has been in Hawaii. In that setting, I have never run into an abrupt wind shift. I haven’t paid attention to when the top of the hour is approaching, but I usually keep a close eye on the flight and the cockpit instruments, so I would expect to see the abrupt shifts if they occur.

Two days ago, I tried a long cross-country flight from Wisconsin to Texas in the 310R cruising at 8,500 ft. I let the plane fly on autopilot for a while and left the computer. After 2 or 3 hours of flying, I checked on the flight and happened to see an abrupt wind shift, followed by another abrupt shift a minute or two later. That’s the first abrupt shift I’ve seen recently. Several months ago, I would see them routinely on long cross-countries and occasionally on shorter hops.

yes same for me especially during approach and final even when doing an full cat 3 ils approach with the 737 , a320

Have to go around twice or more to try to land manually. Controllable landings are not possible, wherever i want to land.

This is so frustrating momentarily.

I definitely want real weather. However, it’s essential that it is portrayed in a realistic manner. At present GA flight can be very unrealistic in moderate winds (12 knots and above). In the stock C172 there are times where it is difficult, or impossible, to taxi in the direction you need to go.

With twenty years of GA experience I’ve never had trouble taxiing in moderate wind conditions nor had to cope with anything remotely close to the ridiculous ‘turbulence’ model that has been introduced.

MSFS was heading in the right direction but they’ve now wrecked the key element within the sim - the environment we fly in.

1 Like

It’s because they changed the flight-model to have unlimit crosswinds at ground. That is work in progress. default C172 is in experimental state. They need to improve the friction of the tires.

You can change back to default values if you want to in the flight-model.cfg file.

I have returned to default values and now it’s fine to taxi again.

Under flight tuning you find these lines

ground_crosswind_effect_max_speed = -1000
ground_crosswind_effect_zero_speed = -1000

Change them to default

ground_crosswind_effect_max_speed = 80
ground_crosswind_effect_zero_speed = 5

SDK documentation:

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Content_Configuration/SimObjects/Aircraft_SimO/flight_model_cfg.htm?rhhlterm=ground_crosswind_effect_max_speed&rhsearch=ground_crosswind_effect_max_speed