Very abrupt weather (wind) transition. Erratic wind behavior (Still present after AAU 1)

I wanted to comment on this as well. Landing the 737 from PMDG into RJAA today, I noticed very erratic wind changes. As another user mentioned, the winds were changing several times within a second. It would bounce from 5-20kts. The aircraft struggled to handle this and finally about 4 miles out from the runway it calmed down enough. I’ve seen this before but today it was crazy watching the plane struggle and seeing the winds just go nuts.

I honestly have no clue how they even considering going to live SU10 with this kind of wind behavior… i did a 2 hour flight, 2 hours of plane shaking from the hectic wind changes.

2 Likes

Moved to #bugs-and-issues:weather.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

NO

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

NO (not relevant to the issue)

Brief description of the issue:

New wind Gust is excessively frequent… Gust factor is ok, but the gusts come far too rapid fire. I would expect a few seconds or more between gusts, but they are continuous.

Provide time & date of the observed Weather issue

21 Sept 2022 23:30 UTC

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Event was in live weather.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Some gusts just are rapid fire like that in real life. There are loads of youtube videos of it.

If it only happened ‘at that time’ and not all the time everywhere, it is probably correct!

The pilot has to constantly work the yoke due to gusts!

Edit: Example video

2 Likes

Yeah, I know it CAN happen. But its not whats happening here today.

I don’t need the youtube videos, I’ve flown through the washing machine myself a few times around Southern California. Cajon pass can be a real riot for that kind of thing, or Tejon pass if you like your bumps a little more manageable.

Weather here today is about 13kt to 18kts, and it is a bit gusty at times, but its not a storm or any kind of organized wind event… Gusts are at pretty reasonable rates of a couple a minute.

But FS sees it as a washing machine ride.

5 Likes

Totally, I only fly small GA stuff in-game and was excited to fire up the update after work. Didn’t know I had to take anti-vomiting meds. The wind changes direction and speed multiple times per second like it’s on Fast Forward and throws the plane around wildly. I tried 3 different flight around the US with very reasonable weather 0-10 kts. 000 at 0 kts was smooth as butter. The rest was a complete spaz session. No thanks!

We have different opinions here. I like the new more varied windspeeds. Makes the wind feel much more alive.

Maybe Asobo can add a toggle to make the wind constant all the time.

Just telling it’s too much is not good feedback in my opinion. Please, let them know how to improve it instead. Did you messure the gusts while flying today? I know that a small airplane should experience more frequent gusts than an airliner. And i know that an airplane that is in motion experience more frequent gusts than a static while standing still at parking. I have no data for that though and can’t give correct feedback of correct gust frequency. I know for sure that varies depending on location but how much it varies i have not researched.

In the sim i know that while standing still on runway i expereince less frequent gust than when i’m flying and that i found realistic. I know that while using a glider i have less frequent gusts because the plane has less groundspeed and that i also find realistic. When flying tail wind i also get less frequent gusts because i moving with the wind.

What frequency is perfect? Do you have some kind of data for that to show Asobo that makes them able to make it more realistic? I think gusts can be improved but i want them to improve it to be more realistic. Completely remove it doesn’t make it more realistic and that to me it sounds like what you want. But not everybody wants that.

1 Like

So the TL;DR is you didn’t read much?

As above, but repeated for you exclusively. Conditions can be like that sometimes. Today they weren’t. They weren’t even close.

These were conditions I would expect in a storm, not on an otherwise sunny day with a mild onshore breeze.

3 Likes

But how can Asobo know what frequency/gustrate is perfect at your location? I know Asobo use Meteoblue data for gusts in su10 outside of METAR airports there i check what condition i will have in the sim. At METAR airports it takes METAR wind data.

Gust is the highest meassured windspeed over a 10 minute period of time.

My first flight with SU10 had exactly this issue over NY. From one point to the other the wheather (wind and waves) chaged from very stong wind into complete no wind. I did never see this before. I’m on XB Series X.

But that is not gust feature they added. That is an issue with data that it changed instantly between different wind data. Same as when clouds suddenly changes/switches.

Gust feature is only applied near ground. Below around 3000FT and close to METAR airports. If the winds changes near airport with METAR it may be an error with the METAR reading to make the sim understand what winds to inject.

Well, just got batted around really badly at cruise altitude, lost close to 1000 ft instantly. Extreme wind and pressure change. Thought the new update smoothed transitions. Maybe I misinterpreted what they said.

Am I the only one experiencing erratic winds? I have not seen another topic regarding this after the update, but the winds seem too powerful. It caused my plane to wobble like crazy and made it difficult to control that when I tried to put in rudder to straighten out the nose my wing lifted like crazy almost causing a wing strike on the runway and causing me to go off the centerline severely. It just seems too uncontrollable and no right? My airspeed indicator is all over the place as well as the TAS and GS. Anybody else experiencing this?

https://youtu.be/f0wHkeHAPvU

5 Likes

I have been messing with settings for the C172 but haven’t found the sweet spot if thier one.

"Cessna 172 Skyhawk G1000

Adjusted new ground collision parameters to improve ground handling in cross wind and at high speeds

Added new parameters to [FLIGHT_TUNING] section to control if and at what speeds the crosswind effect is cancelled out on ground. Removed all crosswind cancellation on the aircraft"

Checked out your clip. Watching your experience and your inputs is exactly what I experience. But I only fly small GA aircraft in sim so it’s way more intense. I gave it another try after work. My local was 014 - 5 kts. No gust indicated in the METAR and the game seemed to match the METAR.

Doing patterns watching the G1000 spaz out, it seemed like it was doing a 5 kt gusts. Not a pilot IRL, but watching the gust change the indicated wind direction and speed seems believable. I like the mechanic!

The problem IMO is the sim is peppering the gusts, rapid fire, many times per second, at the aircraft. It’s almost like the gust mechanic is running twice as fast as the sim. Which, at least for me, creates that washing-machine tumbling affect where I have no idea what my approach speed is (just like your video) and I’m waggling the woke/peddles like crazy trying to point the plane in one direction. If the gusts are higher, it gets exponentially worse because of the rapid fire changes.

I’d love to read more IRL pilot feedback in this discussion so I can gauge if my feelings are accurate. Or is flying really like that?

1 Like

I fly in real life but only Cessna 172 atm. It is normal to see wind changes but not at the rate as the sim is at right now. The aircraft should not be too wobbly especially heavies when coming into land with gusts. Yes, the gust will pick up a wing here and there but not as abrupt as in the sim. It needs to be toned down as it makes it practically really hard and sometimes unflyable at times, not to mention it does not really happen like that in real life. I have flown in winds with gusts up to 30kts in the real world but have managed to keep my 172 on track with the runway and was able to control it perfectly well all the way down with rudder use to pull out the sideslip or crab once coming in to land.

4 Likes

Well, I nearly landed on the grass on a CAT3 autoland and both CMDs engaged on the PMDG 737. Before landing the plane was severely weaving back and forth. Had a very small crosswind component. Had to disconnect autopilot and land 1/2 way down the rwy. Something is really broken here. I’ve done this approach many, many times with this plane in all weather conditions and never had an issue before. Sad.

1 Like