Very basic questions about VR before I press the pay button on a Reverb G2

I second the suggestion for glasses-wearing folks…I bought prescription lens inserts for my G2 and they are totally worth it. It has improved the FOV just a bit as I can get the headset fit better and they are more comfortable. There are a few online websites that sell them and they are all about the same price, but I used the one from Poland, WIDMovr (even though I’m in the US) as they made them and shipped them in about a week, so far faster than the firm here in the US. Also note that if you wear progressive lenses, the part of the prescription you give them online is your distance measurement not the close up part.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. I am going to try normal reading glasses first with an Oculus Quest 2. I was quite impressed by the Oculus graphics when I looked at a report on the Tube. The Oculus can also be easily adapted to suit spectacles without having to order prescription lenses. The graphics may not be quite as good as the Reverb graphics but I have recently seen a lot of bad reports about the Reverb reliability especially in relation to the USC cable and I can get an Oculus direct from several shops within a few miles of where I live. At the end of the day I have thirty days to return it if it does not suit. In that case a very large curved screen gaming monitor is on the cards.

Such a small note. Reading glasses should not be used to use VR, but rather those used for distance vision.

Thank you Flybasher for the heads up. While I can use the G2s without my glasses, I have to look in the very center for things to truly focus. I ordered the lens and will try them.

John

Discovery Sweet Spot Reverb G2

Is there a reason why reading glasses should not be used with VR? My distance vision is more or less okay but I need reading glasses to use the computer. I was under the impression that VR headsets were just small computer monitors. Or is that me being a bit too simplistic?

Hi,
I too require reading glasses when in front of my monitor. However I can see just fine in VR without any glasses, using either my Pimax or my Index headsets.
Hope this helps.

Once again thanks for the replies. I did what I should have done in the first place and did a bit of Googling on the subject. Apparently, VR systems are set at a focal distance of about six and a half feet ( two meters in euros) so reading glasses will only make things worse. The good news is that according to the Smartglasseshub .com site if you can see objects and text at about that distance without specs then VR should be ok as well without them. So I will give the Oculus a try and if it does not work at least I can go and get my money back and get a nice big curved screen monitor instead. I only wish that I had read all of this before returning the G2. Also maybe the manufacturers should give more information on the subject in their sales promotions.

I’m on a Smartphone, I can’t look up his exact nickname, but the famous Captain, said on a subject about the HP Reberv G2, that he had been designed for people over 40 with presbyopia.

In his case, with presbyopia, with a correction of +2.5 he noticed that he had an improvement with reading glasses bought in pharmacies with a correction of +1
+1 allows reading up to 1 meter.
+2 reads up to 50 cm.
+3 reads up to 30 cm.

It has been one of those weeks. On Monday I returned a Reverb to HP without trying it as I could not wear it with glasses on. I then find that it might be possible to use VR without glasses so I bought an Oculus Quest 2 complete with an Oculus link cable as a couple of videos of FS2020 using the system looked great. The headset was my first experience of VR and I was very impressed. Using it without glasses was no problem. Trouble was that the link cable had a USB 3 connection which was no good for my computer. So I sent the cable back and got one with a USB 2 connection. I then spent an hour downloading the Oculus app and generally setting things up. The first message that comes up in the Oculus headset after switching on the link is to the effect that my computer is not suitable for the Quest 2. The Quest was basically unworkable when linked to my PC. As I only wanted it for the Flight sim it is pretty much no use to me. So that now has to go back. Just for information, I run the flight sim on my computer at all ultra settings without any problems. So I am not sure what I need to make it work with a Quest.

The question now is do I go back to HP and buy another Reverb in the hope that like the Quest it will work without my wearing glasses and chance another possible return or do I spend my pocket money on a nice big gaming monitor for half the price and hope that something better in VR goes on sale in the next few months?

Would agree the prescription lenses are a must and easy to remove for other users. G2 working fine for MSFS albeit distant scenery appears a little washed out. I’m running with GTX1080 and good visually.

Hi. I wear glasses and have had no problem with a VR headset but my glasses were narrow enough in size to fit inside of the headset frame…my prescription is light and I actually wore my glasses with the headset and it was ok. I then spent the $70 or so to get the lens inserts for the headset and it’s even better in terms of comfort and well worth it, so perhaps look into that and post here if you want help on that part. For me, once I went to VR I have largely never gone back to 2D. Sure, the graphics settings in 2D are higher in all cases (regardless of your hardware) as VR is a lot more taxing due to the 3D nature. But, the immersion is fantastic in VR and when I do sometimes fly in 2D it just isn’t as enjoyable for me. Having said that, MSFS is not at all optimized for VR and of course the game in general is not well optimized and very heavy in CPUs/GPUs. So, I have read a lot about great VR experience for those with higher end systems, but as you go down to lower or mid range systems the VR experience just isn’t very good. Also, the G2 appears to do better with higher end GPUs given it’s native resolution. What are your system specs? I also assume you have read the long and very good posts in the VR section here on setup ideas for various GPUs/CPUs since there are so many combinations when you consider Steam and WMR, on top of that, all of which are not very mature so tinkering is a requirement to get it working well for your system. It’s clearly a person choice given the early-days nature of VR that seems to require patience, trial/error, and a fairly large investment in hardware (mid to higher end CPU/GPU and headset) to make it smooth and playable over sticking with 2D. Good luck and I find this VR subsection of the forum very helpful and a great bunch of users figuring this out together.

I would say this is pretty subjective. I’m definitely at the lower-end of VR PC’s (i5-4690K, GTX 1080, 16 GB RAM), but I would hardly say my experience in VR isn’t very good. Flight Simulator X, X-Plane, MSFS, DCS, iRacing, Assetto Corsa, both Truck Sims, etc… all a blast in VR.

I have to admit that when it comes to electrics I am very much in the plug it in and use it camp. I have an Intel i5-10400 processor a Nvidea gtx1650 HDMI graphics card and an additional SSD hard drive that is rated at I think something like 12TB. None of which means a whole lot to me. But as I say I am running the sim at virtually full blast on this setup.

I have now found out that the reason that the Quest 2 would not work on my setup is that it does not work with the Nvidia gtx 1650 game card that I have installed. Could somebody please tell me if that card will work with WMR and a Reverb 2? Try as I might researching on the net I cannot get a definite yes or no to the question. All of my other parameters are as far as I can gather within spec for the Reverb.

Excuse me, but when I read GTX 1650 and HP Reberv G2, I think there is something wrong.
I’m not here to give you advice, with a GTX 1650, I’d rather look at a Rift S.

No disrespect but why is there something wrong with mating a gtx 1650 to a Reverb? The gtx is the card that is in my computer and the Reverb is the VR that I am looking at having failed with the Quest which does not work with the 1650. All I want to do at the end of the day is play FS2020 in VR.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: HP Reberv G2

• Processor: Intel Core i5 / i7, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V5 equivalent or better / AMD Ryzen 5 equivalent or better
  • RAM: 8 GB or more
  • Video output: DisplayPort 1.3
  • USB: USB 3.0 Type C
  • Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 or better / AMD Radeon RX 5700 or better / NVIDIA Quadro P5200 or better / AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 or better

GTX 1080 vs GTX 1650

What PC configuration for my VR headset?

I own the HP Reberv G2 and have an RX 6800 XT and a GTX 1080 TI.
It works with the GTX 1080 TI, but the picture is much less smooth than with the RX 6800 XT.
I would say that the minimum to operate an HP Reberv G2 is an RTX 2080 TI or even an RTX 2080.

Now you’re the one who pays, so indulge yourself if you feel like it.

Sorry but you have completely lost me. I have run a check with the WMR settings and according to that my set up is good to go except that it says they have not tested the 1650 and do not know if it will work. The problem is as far as I can see is that the graphics card manufacturers just stick any set of numbers that look good onto name of their product. This makes it very difficult for non techy people like myself to sort the chaff from the wheat and decide which is the best product to go with

So if WMR doesn’t even recognize your GTX 1650, you don’t need to go any further.

GPU benchmark

See how close a GTX 1650 is, compared to the minimum card needed to play in VR with an Oculus CV1 the GTX 970 in 2016 or 2015.

A GTX 970 gets 9710 points
A GTX 1650 gets 7750 points

A GTX 1650 wouldn’t even be able on paper to run an Oculus CV1

Resolution Oculus Rift CV1 1080x1200 per eye
Resolution HP Reberv G2 2460x2460 per eye