VFR Flying has been ruined. Please allow us to turn off all turbulence, wind etc. Erratic bouncing, totally unrealistic

I am going to have to try that and see what happens.

My two centavos about turbulence:

• If you have winds and uneven terrain, especially near hot sands and water, you’re going to get wind and turbulence.  Note that the Outer Banks, and particularly the Kill Devil Hills, was the place that the Wright Brothers choose for their experiments because of the strong winds.

• However in smooth terrain, lots of lush greenery, and little to no winds, turbulence should not be a factor, and if it is, it should be minimal.  The fact that I can’t fly a Cessna 172 without feeling like I’m on a super-fast roller coaster at Six Flags isn’t realistic.  I’ve flown in those conditions, and things were as smooth as silk.

Of course, there have been times when I’ve flown fro La Guardia to Boston Logan in turbulent weather in a 737, and was singing Holy Hymns the entire way because the turbulence was so bad. :wink:

Let’s see what the new slider controls do.

1 Like

Where is this, I can’t seem to find it anywhere even after the 1.30.12.0 update I just installed.

P.S.
Who marked this as “Solved”?  There’s still a lot to be said about this.

I hear ya. It depends on how much vertical mixing is happening. Strong, direct sunlight, diurnal erosion of the planetary boundary layer, even changes in albedo due to different types of agriculture (or dark soil prior to planting in the spring) can pop a plane around. What was your altitude? Kind of a question of where and when.

1 Like

For those not in the SU12 Beta, where would SU11 be on that slider if it existed in SU11? From what I have read here, and elsewhere, some complaints seem to be about the way the turbulence is simulated or expressed rather than just its magnitude.

1 Like

“Realistic” is supposedly the same as the old setting (which always seemed fine to me, personally; I never experienced difficulties controlling any GA planes in VMC).

3 Likes

So the slider does nothing for you if you are “happy” with the way SU11 performs. Interesting.

I hope Asobo aren’t drawing a line under this, and plan further enhancements to it. A post in this thread mentioned that no lateral shift is expressed, perhaps due to users not being able to notice it, so they opted for yaw instead? Perhaps shifting in all 6 degrees of freedom would be more accurate?

2 Likes

Let’s just put some quotes around that “realistic” setting :wink:

2 Likes

I can hardly wait for this turbulence level control in su12. Whether realistic or not, the experience of relentlessly being knocked around up and down and sideways in VR VFR is not fun for me. I’m experiencing this even when using a clear skies weather preset flying the new analog Bonanza.

Edit: To me it seems that it must be thermal updrafts and down drafts throwing me about constantly since the weather preset has very low prevalent wind and zero gusts and the behavior doesn’t change when I switch presets.

2 Likes

Agreed. Fed up of being knocked around the skies - as if that’s what anyone wanted, or is at all realistic. About time it got sorted.

1 Like

This has been addressed in SU12 with a user Turbulence “level” control

1 Like

Where is it? I have not been able to find it.

How do I verify I am at the correct revision level on a PC MS Store download

Turbulence – 2nd from bottom

Will be in SU12 release – already in SU12 Beta

1 Like

So, this doesn’t exist yet?  (At least not for mere mortals like me?)

When is this release planned to go live?

If I decide I would like to try the beta, is it possible to get it?

1 Like

SU12 is scheduled to go live on March/21/2023. (subject to change)
Yes, if you join the Beta, you will then have the turbulence setting.

1 Like

How do you do this?  And is it possible to have both “normal” and “beta” versions installed?  Do you get to keep your add-ons and Store purchases if you do?

1 Like

Depending on which platform you’re using, joining the Beta will have different steps.
See here: How To Join Beta

You will keep all of your add-ons and Store purchases.

I don’t believe we’re able to have both a Public Release and Beta at the same time.

1 Like

Interesting!

How screwy is the beta?  I realize that “beta” software can go all pear-shaped at times, but I’m not sure how well typical MSFS betas run.

That would be a good thing to have since a beta user could compare the beta behavior to the current release so they could verify if this is a real bug or that’s the way its always been.

1 Like

So far it appears that a lot of folks are having pretty good results with SU12 Beta, myself included.

1 Like

Remember - The last Screwy Beta is most likely, the Same as what will then be a Screwy SU release .

So the more that test the Beta, and report “Screwyness”, the more likely the final SU release will NOT be Screwy.

At least, that how it should be in theory …

3 Likes

:rofl:

I’m laughing so hard because of all the SQA work I’ve done in the past - and truer words have never been spoken!

Since I don’t have the depth of experience many of you have in either simming or actual flying, my individual experience may be less than accurate, (aside from hard crashes, etc.)

That’s why I think the ability to compare apples to apples, (or at least peaches to nectarines), would be valuable.

However, if you believe a total noob crashing around within the build like a bull in a china shop would be constructive, I would be glad to join. (After doing a soup-to-nuts backup of my MSFS install!)

What say ye?

1 Like