VFR is no fun with new "Haze/Fog"

Agree with your post, right to this line. :wink:

If 0 vis then letā€™s have 0 vis. I just drove through a fog layer recently where I could barely see the road in front of my truck. Daylight fortunately or I would have been in the ditch for sure.

Visibility is one phenomenon that can never really be appreciated by the earthbound. Aviation has a perspective that most never see. Except for the cold, crisp days experienced well away from human habitation, ā€œunlimitedā€ visibility on the ground is very rare. We have been conditioned within the sim to expect ā€˜LOD 400ā€™ visibility. I remember very few days when any significant detail could be seen more than a dozen miles. Sure you can see there are mountains and trees and buildings, but crisp detail is a computer generated fantasy.

There are also days when you canā€™t even get off the ground. Days where you wander aimlessly in the direction you know you parked but just cannot find your aircraft. If you were already airborne chances are good you will be in an extended hold or heading for your alternate.

1 Like

It may indeed be haze in the OPā€™s case and many of the reported instances. Itā€™s also irrelevant in this discussion since the sim doesnā€™t know the difference between mist, haze, or fog when setting the visibility conditions.

Just for the folks who are driving by and donā€™t know what all the fuss is about, and so that the same info can be found in this thread as other threads that discuss the issue: Many airports with METARs that max out at 10sm visibility are now always (less than) 10sm visibility in the sim. This means that thousands of airports across the US and elsewhere (North America) are now perpetually and unrealistically blanketed in way too much haze. Lots of folks who only fly in places like Europe where the METARs are formatted differently, arenā€™t experiencing this issue, or experience it differently depending on the location.

Clouds being unrealistically drawn too low such that theyā€™re on the ground, which would also appear as fog or mist from inside of them, is another issue.

When the haze/mist is realistically portrayed in the sim, it adds a challenging dynamic to VFR flying. But when itā€™s always overdone, I agree with the OP, VFR is no longer any fun.

Itā€™s a real drag loading into the home field and seeing this ā€œ10 mileā€ visibility every single time, when in real life itā€™s much higher than this.

4 Likes

Its worse when itā€™s below freezing. The plane freezes on the ground sitting on the taxiway even on a clear blue sky day.

1 Like

Just to be clear, Haze and Fog are two different things. Fog is a nice touch if itā€™s the current weather conditions.
Haze however, appears to have been added everywhere gratuitously to mask or reduce draw distance for frame rates or some other reason. Itā€™s overdone, unrealistic and i hope they get rid of it.

2 Likes

I enjoy it. It adds depth and in most of the world thereā€™s some kind of haze.

I just want the clouds off the ground.

1 Like

yep, get those clouds off the ground

3 Likes

Donā€™t really care what ya call itā€¦I just want it to be a reasonable facsimile to the real world. Since SU7 Clouds, haze, mist, humidity, or dust in the air isnā€™t even close here in the desert southwest of US.
It was much better before SU7. Also, they did such a good job tweakin the graphics itā€™s a shame to cover them up.
Iā€™m just hoping for an adjustment.

4 Likes

Keep in mind also that VFR is generally possible down to 5nm visibility. I would purposefully take my students up in that kind of vis to show them what the legal minimums really looks like. Most of them were shocked, as it looks like youā€™re completely fogged in.
So what we have here IS legal VFR, just not as nice as 50nm visā€¦ But many places around the world will not see more vis than that depicted in your pics above.

Totally agree with thisā€¦

3 Likes

Me too, itā€™s overdone. Some people like it, so we should have it turn-on-and-offable.

1 Like

Ive been gamming for 40 yrs, I agree with this. It is what has been done in other games BF1942 as a example. The graphics have been dumbed down. They didnā€™t show all this fog in the original trailer of the game as they showed clear bright skies. It was advertised as a sightseeing game.

Whats the point of buying a 3rd party airport if you cant see it ? If you look at the opening screen shots when you load into the game, you donā€™t see much view obstructing haze in those shots.

2 Likes

The excessive fog was not added to improve performance. Adding this kind of fog would actually decrease performance since itā€™s a volumetric effect that scatters light, rather than a simple z-fog effect that 20 year old games like BF1942 and Flight Simulator 2000 used.

Instead it was a bug caused by the improper reading of METARs when METAR based visibility was added to SU7. Itā€™s fixed in the SU7 hotfix/update beta from what Iā€™ve seen.

I live in the foothills of Tucson Arizona. Every day I see a brown fog sitting in the valley from one end to the other. I use to be able to see the mountains 30 miles to the south very clearly. Now a days there are times when you cannot see them at all because of the smog and a thin layer of white cloud on top of it. Itā€™s actually very disheartening and kind of disgusting.
In MSFS that layer is there perfectly. Itā€™s not much different than what I see here every day. As much as it kind of sucks because it reminds me of how destructive humans are to the planet that sustains them, itā€™s true to life.
And noā€¦Clouds or fog do not improve FPS. Even with only a basic understanding of how computers render things, thatā€™s just common senseā€¦
I do have a question thoughā€¦My clouds are very grainy and act very unnaturally in terms of dissipation and formation. Is this the sim or my settings?

1 Like

^^^^^ Apologies, wrong topic :rofl:

1 Like

Iā€™m a bit done with some people like this, some people like that. Asobo should make this SIMULATOR as true to life as possible and stop listening to what people want. For example the icing effect looks cool, but its far from realistic. They should make everything as realistic as possible, this is how it is or looks like in real life, deal with it. I also donā€™t want to have options and sliders to tweak stuff to my liking. Iā€™m using a flight simulator, not a game.

1 Like

Never said it did. I believe it is masking draw distance, which it does work because it hides the airport. Before when I landed at KATL the actual airport itself (buildings/terminals) would be a flat piece of ground and then 2-3 miles from runway theyā€™d magically appear (pop up). Now I cant see this happen because of the haze. Xbox Series S BTW, draw distance is its biggest negative.

Have you got a bomb under your seat that explodes if you make a mistake?

No?

Pfft. Not realistic enough.

I didnā€™t know I have a bomb under my flight deck seat in real life, thanks for the heads-up!

You donā€™t. But if you make a mistake IRL thereā€™s a risk of death or serious injury. The bomb would give you that.

One of the lessons you learn in life is that not everyone thinks like you do. Iā€™ll leave you to ponder that.