VFR map option on toolbar causes major FPS drops

I have a 9900K 64GB and 6900XT machine, which isn’t too bad for MSFS. But I found that turning on VFR option in the toolbar causes major fps drop, in fact, a drop from 85FPS to 25FPS and micro stuttering all over the place.

Already submitted a ticket through Zendesk.

Interesting, have you tried with disabling hardware virtualization technology and VT-d in your motherboard BIOS settings?

Disabling that helped me with my stutters and FPS in general, and opening the VFR map doesn’t seem to get my FPS to drop.

My VT-D is disabled since my PC also runs a hackintosh. Maybe VFR map only affects AMD GPU? I have a 6900XT.

Well known:

1 Like

Doesn’t really make sense, but maybe that’s why… I’m on RTX 2080 Ti…

Well yes, similar, but I think this might be something newly introduced, since it affects CoherenceGTDraw instead of CPU/GPU thread, also this time, it basically render the game unplayable by only 1 option.

Nah, it does the same on my i7-9700K, its a well known issue. But the VFR map is useless to my anyway so i just disable it and dont have to worry about…

Yes, the VFR map is horrible and causes a big performance loss even when it’s closed.
Another stutter inducing thing after every radio communication is the ATC icon (yes, even when the ATC window is closed). The solution is either to disable the icon, as for the VFR map, or limit the transcript to 4-5 lines (there is a community fix called ATCstutteringfix for this).
These are two bugs that FS has since the release (the ATC since FS2004 I think) and it’s simply embarrassing that they have not been resolved yet.

1 Like

Yep, i do both. The ATC stutter-fix and completely disable VFR Map. When i fly on VATSIM i disable ATC completely anyway.

1 Like

I wish we could disable that toolbar.

The only reason it still exists for me is if I get rid ATC and the map pressing “scroll lock” and “v” no longer works. I understand console users need it but glorious well groomed intelligent and articulate PC users have well over 100 buttons to communicate with.

This really helped thankx to MrFuzzy4528
I was down at 12 fps ! at EDDF etc ( nearly everywhere ) now I am at 35 fps
I have chklst / fuel / weather / navigraph charts enabled , which have no effect on frame rate
ATC / CAMERA / MAP are the fps killers

Thank you MrFuzzy4528

compared to this above, the effect ajusting/tweaking in the OPTIONS/GENERAL or even in Windows is neglectable ( exept Rendering scaling and terrain level of detail ) … amazing !

1 Like

Glad to help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, this is the first time I heard about this, but I can confirm, disabling VFR map from the toolbar really does make my FPS smoother.

2 Likes

Since Hot Fix #2 following SU5, opening the VFR map is very laggy although it is fine once it has been opened. It takes a couple of seconds after pressing the “V” key before the map actually appears. On one occasion today it caused the game to crash.

1 Like

I had this problem. Was very dissappointed after investing some relevant cash to get a reasonable system (Ryzem 5900X, 32GBRAM, SSD 1TB, Rtx 3060Ti. Solved: Limited to 62 fps on Nvidia programm setup for MSFS.