Video card and Ram

I just got a new machine and monitor this past Xmas for the new sim. It came with a high end video card but only 16 meg Ram. I’ve upped the ram to 48 but didn’t really notice much change in the sim. Can’t remember off the top of my head what card. I have in it. My machine seems to load programs about the same speed. Says it has the 48 gigs ram. I expected more punch for what I did. Graphics on the sim look really good so what happened with ram.I can go to 64 by adding another 16

RAM won’t necessarily get you more FPS or make the Sim look nicer, though going with more than 16GB should help with stutters and make the Sim smoother to use. So I don’t see a requirement for you to go anything above the 48GB you’ve got now.

I recently doubled my ram to 64GB and use a ram cache to make use of the spare ram found a nice fps boost and decrease in stutters and was even able to increase the terrain and objects level of details back up to 200. Was a pleasant surprise as I didn’t expect it to make much difference.
How many ram sticks you got? cos 48 gb is an odd number. Not running in pairs and having 3 instead of 4 may actually reduce performance.

If you load up NVidia control panel and go to Help at the top and then click on system info it will tell you what gpu is fitted, you can probably see it in the other settings tabs too.

I also recently gained even more fps after turning off game mode and having hardware enabled GPU scheduling enabled. can be found via start menu then settings then go into gaming then click game mode after that click on graphics settings top right of the screen from there.
Will add what seems to work for one person isn’t always the same for everyone.

1 Like

Wich ram cache do you use ? Wich size ? What is in cache ? I’d like more infos pls
Thks

You’re running ram in an odd paired configuration, this can reduce performance no matter the size of the ram. If the ram you added has different clock speeds than the stock ram, this could also confuse the system / reduce performance.
Start by matching the ram, remove the stock ram that came with it and use the two 16’s, the one 32 or the four 8’s you added only and see what happens. 32 vs 48 means nothing really, you’re system is not going to use 32gbs of ram at one time and if it was you’d be melting the core anyway. What matters in Ram is matching clocks and paired properly. Also if you just added the sticks to any open slot this can reduce performance too, they need to be paired in specific slot configurations for optimal transmission speeds.

My machine which i got at xmas is the Predator 3000. Came with 2 - 8 gig cards. 4 slots available. Machine capable to 64. What i did was just add 2 more 16’s giving me a total of 48. my machine info says I have the 48 installed. Just thought i would notice a change in things. Maybe it is, just havent seen it or expecting more. Probably add 2 more 16’s giving me the 64 max. that way all is the same then i guess.

Why would you have 3 16 gigs of ram, that’s an unusual setup, don’t mix ram sets it’s better to get 8,16,32,64 and 128 ram sticks I wouldn’t recommend anything apart from those ram configurations doing so will probably decrease performance and cause other types of issues. If I were you I would take out one of the 16gb sticks.

I’ve got lots of spare RAM - how can I use it for this ram cache thingy please. My video card only has 4GB of VRAM.

Or have I completely misunderstood?

I use a program called Ramcache III and set it to 32 gb but can add more if its spare I just kept a little spare incase. It decreases load times and will cache stuff when in flight im no expert on exactly how it works but the results are a increase in performance. From what have read ram cache only stores commonly read files from the storage device.

1 Like

Using Ramcache III app but I believe there are other apps that do the same thing, but with ramcache you just select the storage device and move the slider along to say how much can be used for caching data. It basically makes it quicker for the CPU to read the data than getting it from the storage device.
As I have 64gb I have set the cache at 32gb sim will use upto 20 gbs then leaves a little spare. so ram usage goes upto around 52 gbs when using the sim.

It’ll be 2x8gb and 2x16gb.

I had that configuration for 48gb before i updated my MoBo, mainly due to not knowing if another 2x8gb would work, so i added 2x16gb just in case. That way, if there were timing issues, i’d just remove the 2x8gb sticks and “make do” with 32gb.

As it happened, it worked perfectly, so needn’t have worried.

Do you need to enable RAID or change anything else in the BIOS?

OK, thanks.

Nope should work without changing anything else. The Ramcache app is super simple literally just open it and move a slider to decide how much ram you want to use for the cache.

Ok thanks i think I’ll give this a try!
Do you use different settings for xplane or P3D?

Remember that some older processors used triple channel memory. I don’t think think it was very popular, though.

again, what is the speed of the two 16’s you added vs the speed of the 2 stock 8gb’s? if you’ve mismatched speeds you’re bogging the system down. You can use 2 8’s and 2 16’s but if the speeds are 2400 on one set and 3000mhz on the other set you’re just slowing the system down with mismatched speeds. You would either need to overclock the 2400 to 3000 (not really recommended for that much of an increase) or remove the odd speeds. regardless i’d stick with 8-16-32-64 configurations but that’s just common, if you want to run 48 you can but your speeds need to match.

Don’t have xplane installed and never played P3D so couldn’t comment. I would imagine it will work exactly the same.

What is your CPU and Video card?

He mentions having a Predator 3000, I’m guessing it’s one of these models: