Viewing approach plates in VR

Is there any way of being able to view external documents in VR. It would be good to be able to have a moveable window that could be an external document, e.g. a pdf approach plate or checklist. Can this be done?

5 Likes

With the Rift S you can, should be something like that:

• open from the desktop the PDF you need
  • while you’re in VR, open the Oculus menu, then press on the “+” sign on the toolbar and select the PDF
  • resize at your will the window, then hold B from the right stick and pin up the window

now if you go back from the Oculus menu to the game the window should be there

is not really precise, but if someone has the Oculus and it is interested i hope it can help!

6 Likes

Thanks for that! I want to have an open window (like pdf or browser window) in my cockpit with my Rift S. When i‘m in the cockpit i press the key to switch to Oculus menu. There i select the „+“ sign with my right controller and from the popuplist i choose the app/window. The window is then shown inside the Oculus room. Pressing B show a popup where i select „pickup“ (think this is what you mean with „pin up“ but going back to the cockpit dosn‘t show this window inside.
Any idea what i‘m doing wrong?

1 Like

Anything for Reverb G2, this would be great.

Hmm.

1 Like

Would this work for any Rift?

1 Like

Got it working on my Rift S today and it‘s very easy.

Tried it with LittleNavMap:

• start Oculus Software
  • start LittleNavMap
  • start MSFS and keep it in the monitor
  • put on the VR and switch to MSFS
  • take the right controller and press the home button
  • on the upcoming bar press the + sign
  • in the list select the screen you want to see in the cockpit (in my case LNM)
  • press the button below your index finger and while you keep it pressed move and size the window to the place in the cockpit where you want it to stay (resize works with the controllers stick)
  • release index finger
  • pin it with the small sign (2nd from left) in the status line of the imported window
  • go abck to MSFS by pressing the related sign in the toolbar

Works great but keep in mind that you cannot edit and work on the imported window.

My final goal is to import the mirrored Ipad with my app AirNaviagtion Pro which works together with MSFS 2020. This can by done by running Airserver on my Windows 10 and connect my Ipad via Airplay, The good thing is that as long as i can use ny Ipad „blind“ i can do this during flight too.

1 Like

@theVRpilot, check out OVRtoolkit
 OVR Toolkit on Steam
I use it with the HTC VIVE Pro, but I am fairly sure it will work with the G2. There are instructions on their wiki explaining how, otherwise you can join their discord and chat to the dev directly.

I actually was using it and my performance for some reason was awful.

not sure why.

I have since reinstalled windows and MSFS 2020 and can now run openxr resolution at 100 and in game render scale at 100 and its between 30-60 fps!

Im in shock. before it was bringing my computer to its knees even with my 9700k and 3090.

I will give it a try later again today, thank you !!!

I don’t have a g2, but as I understand it, you need to change the default openXR app from WMR to steamVR to use OVR toolkit
 There are instructions on the OVR Toolkit wiki that explain what you need to do. When you change to steamVR, make sure you opt in to the steamVR beta version 1.14. it is labeled as a driver for Linux, but trust me it will work with windows 10 and significantly increases performance/reduces stutters.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.