Virpil controls

@ernieball74 I forgot to mention that my subjective criticism of the Virpil Alpha grip is two fold. One is the overall height for desktop use, which is a combination of both base and grip, the second is that most Virpil grips except the WarBRD grip seem to be designed for above average hands. The WarBRD grip, similar to Thrustmaster Warthog, is a replica grip which suits average male hands perfectly. VKB has intentionally designed the Gladiator base and Kosmosima grip for average hands and desktop use. If I were building a sim pit, I’d make different choices to an office desk.

You have lots of choices. Good luck!

OK clear. I am in the same situation as you: my desk is both for working and simming. I prefer a stick with base on desk (if possible) just because of the flexibility. For that reason, I will maybe also look to the Thrustmaster Warthog.

Virpil also have a desk mount that’s easy to relocate…keeps the stick down at a more comfortable level

Using the Mongoost throttle. Fabulous bit of kit and so many options!

The throttle is a no brainer for me. I already ordered that one. And now the waiting starts… (3 - 6 - 9 months??)

My order took around 2 (loooong) month … but I am really amazed by the high build quality. Impressive.

But if you plan on using it on top of your desk then the ergonomics will not be good, simply due to the height of the stick.

FYI … there is another discussion where we talk about possible command bindings for the Virpil gear …

I also received my order after two months (i live in Western Europe). Using the throttle now for 3 weeks. It is a fantastic experience. Also good software…

All - planning on getting the VPC T-50CM2 base, with their bracket and the VPC V.F Grip. Going to get the desk mount (required) and it should be a bit lower down. That will be good, because desk height for present setup is killing my wrist. I hurt it this summer doing something and flying with the desk height is aggravating whatever I did to it. Lower down, level arm to floor, will help. Just saw review, and they said it will last for years. That is good, don’t want to keep buying stuff to fly simulators.

The Virpil software provides lots of technical aspects that can be configured … and I somehow found it to be a very steep learning curve.

There is a YouTube channel where someone has provided lots of tutorials which I found helpful:

1 Like

I had some 20yr-old flight controls and I decided to upgrade. Originally I ordered some of the Logitech stuff but while I was waiting I found Virpil and thought it looked a lot better. I ordered Alpha Stick, WarBRD Base, Throttle, Control Panel, and Rudders. Took just under 2 months including shipping. I’d still be waiting on the Logitech stuff from what I can tell.

The quality of the Virpil stuff is incredible, easily twice as good as I expected. It is a huge upgrade and I’m really loving it in MSFS 2020. It really makes the sim more fun to play. Their software is also quite nice.

3 Likes

True, but once you are used to it… it is what i need.

Hi all,

I just got the following from Virpil

1. VPC Constellation ALPHA-R
  2. VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base
  3. VPC ACE Interceptor Pedals

However, I am confused as to how to assign / map SHIFT button states….holding a shift button and changing how other button send keys etc. I have the Virpile software loaded, buy I do not know how to map anything.

I have uploaded some documentation of my button mappings to the Alpha stick over here …

… and I am not using any “SHIFT” feature on the Virpil side of the config.
I do only use the native FS2020 “multi-button” feature in the command bindings to get “SHIFT” like behavior.

I am not sure if that answers your question … if not then please try to explain again what exactly you are trying to achieve and what “SHIFT” means for you.

I do use the Virpil Configuration “SHIFT” feature (via the “Mode” switch) with the Virpil throttle … and I documented my ideas for that here …

My Virpil Panel #1 arrived the other day. First ever Virpil purchase. Still learning the software and trying to decide how and what I want to configure. Really impressed by the quality of the Virpil hardware. Extremely solid throughout. So far, I have assigned the autopilot, flight director functions, and interior lights. No trouble at all getting assigned buttons to do what they are supposed to do. I am very interested in learning how to assign rotary switches.

Yes, Virpil equipment is pricy. Once you get past that, these are very capable and top-notch items. Should last for a very long time.

1 Like

Has anyone else had difficulties following the recent updates? I have a VPC Constellation Alpha and WarBRD base (together with a Thrustmaster Throtlle), which worked beautifully. Then following the last-but-one update, aircraft have started veering to the left unexpectedly, as though I’m applying full left aileron, even though the joystick is neutral. I’ve calibrated my stick in the Virpil app, and checked the axes etc in MSFS, so I have no idea why this is? It’s making the game unplayable.

Check your assistance options as these have been getting set to easy with the last update meaning the AI is taking over control of the aircraft. If they are set to hard and not interfering then try setting up a new profile for the controller as a test.

I changed everything to hard, and also tried setting up a new controller profile - still have the same issue.

It’s really odd as I haven’t added anything new to the PC. MSFS is the only game I have this issue with - my stick and throttle work fine with DCS and Il-27 etc. It’s really odd too, as they used to work absolutely fine. The only thing that’s changed since they worked properly is the two most recent game updates, so it’s clearly a software issue.

You can try removing the device, then restarting the PC. and by removing, take off software, remove connection to PC, if more than one virpil device be extra careful hooking up ONE AT TIME, as you can brick them if more than one hooked up, and reconfigure using reinstalled software, there is a newer version our on that as well. See if that works, I have VFX with T50 base and am not experiencing that problem, planes fly fine. I am the trouble when flying not my equipment.

Got the same configuration as well as hardware (VPC Constellation Alpha and WarBRDbase together with VPC MoongoosT-50CM3-T) and thanks god, no problems…maybe the thrustmaster throttle?, or the softare driver? :thinking:

I have a throttle, a panel, a stick, and a collective so I’m setup to fly airplanes and helicopters and it all works great. I do also use spad.next for things I cannot do or do easily with in game bindings.

1 Like