Virtual Reality coming soon?

Hi,

I am really enjoying MSFS. It’s a bit of a learning curve, even for a commercial pilot like myself. Albeit, it has been a long time since I’ve flown as PIC. I purchased the Deluxe edition as I wanted the Baron to fly.

And yes I know that vr did not make the final August 18th release… but

This experience has reminded me of how much I really like my Oculus Rift vr system. I can hardly wait until MS supports vr. I’m currently beta testing x-plane 11.50 and so far MS has it hands above x-Plane EXCEPT for vr! I know that when vr is included with MSFS it will be done right. To that end, is it possible to get added to the beta tester list with vr testing in mind?

I currently have a ‘recommended’ level system (running at medium, but VERY nice) and when the rtx 3090 comes out will be ordering a new system.

Thank you for considering me as a vr beta tester. hint hint…

3 Likes

Just so you’re aware, they plan on only supporting the HP Reverb G2 at the start, but I do believe they will expand the lineup of compatible VR hardware.

I was aware but did not know the timeline / lead time and wanted to get on-board early… thanks

1 Like

Please stop spreading false information. It’s been made very clear that all WMR headsets will be supported when the G2 launches.

1 Like

Let’s not jump to conclusions about people spreading false information.

From the development update linked above, it says the following:

We are excited about the reception that Microsoft Flight Simulator has received from the community and look forward to its launch on August 18th. Today, we announced Microsoft Flight Simulator will support VR platforms beginning fall 2020 as a free update. VR support for Microsoft Flight Simulator will coincide with the HP Reverb G2 this fall. VR support will be available on all Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) headsets upon VR launch. Support for additional platforms/headsets will follow. Stay tuned for future updates.

Meaning, all WMR headsets will be supported, but not all VR headsets, which is what @sharksfan166269 probably meant. So you’re both right :slight_smile:

As someone with a Oculus headset and currently enjoying X-Plane but have Flight Simulator 2020 downloaded, I cannot wait for the VR update so I also can enjoy FS2020.

3 Likes

Look, I’m way too old to get upset about things like this one, even though he said that there’ll be only one headset supported at the beginning. It’s just as wrong as most of the media misinterpreted Microsoft’s statement.

Good, that makes two of us :slight_smile: The details are in the words really. VR and WMR are two different things, you’re saying many WMRs will be supported at launch and @sharksfan166269 is saying only one VR headset (Reverb) will be supported at launch. After reading the development update, both of those statements seems to be right. Don’t really care about what the media says, let’s just read and write carefully here, as the devil is in the details.

“For added immersion, there is even VR support coming, at first just for HP’s Reverb GT headset, but later for Oculus and other devices.”

" Microsoft Flight Simulator VR support coming first to HP Reverb G2"

"While VR support isn’t exclusive to the headset it will make its first appearance there before rolling out to other headsets. “We’re starting with them,” Microsoft’s head of Flight Simulator Jorg Neumann told Eurogamear. “There’s some extra work to be done for some of the others. I mean, we’re going to bring it to all the devices - all the common ones. It’s just going to take a few more months after that.”

" Initially, it will function only with the HP Reverb G2 Headset, but more options will be officially supported in the future."

https://fselite.net/news/microsoft-flight-simulator-information-vr-steam-edition-third-party-info-and-future-plans/

1 Like

I’m shocked, seriously.

You’re quoting the ones who got it wrong as well. Maybe it was misleading by MS/Asobo to say it like this “VR support for Microsoft Flight Simulator will coincide with the HP Reverb G2 this fall.”, but how much clearer can the official statement be…?

Today, we announced Microsoft Flight Simulator will support VR platforms beginning fall 2020 as a free update. VR support for Microsoft Flight Simulator will coincide with the HP Reverb G2 this fall. VR support will be available on all Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) headsets upon VR launch. Support for additional platforms/headsets will follow.

1 Like

Can the Windows Store support non WMR headsets such as the Oculus and Vive? Currently I don’t believe there are any Oculus or Vive compatible games on the Windows Store.

I hope Microsoft won’t hang us out to dry when it comes to Oculus and Vive compatibility.

1 Like

For you and all the others owning a Vive or an Oculus I sincerely hope that you’ll be taken care of by MS/Asobo as soon as possible.

Having tried (and returned) a Vive and currently using the Reverb, I can tell you that any investment in a headset that has at least the same resolution as the Reverb is worth every dime. Trust me.

Cheers

No doubt the newer WMR headsets are definitely impressive. So many of us have bought into the Vive or Oculus varieties over the past few years that I doubt too many of us will be willing to pay out again. As you said, hopefully MS will respect that and not try to you use exclusivity with MSFS as bait to increase WMR headset sales.

1 Like

I am a current pilot and have had xplane for a long time. And since I switched to vr it’s so hard to go back to one monitor. I like MFS 2020 but right now since xplane has I will continue to play that till VR support is here. But I think Mfs will pass xplane when that happens. Just my thought. I like the realism and Submersion VR gives.

5 Likes

My Reverb G2 is on pre-order, due for delivery this October.
Would be great to use it with FS2020!

You can already play in VR.

Just follow this tutorial:

Thats not VR…its a crappy 2D virtual screen in your hmd

as you can see in the video, it isnt.

you can move 350°. you cant touch any buttons. hopefully you have a yoke with enough buttons.

dont mean to be the blind idiot here, but i used the rift cv1 on xplane, its imersive but very hard to read the text.

yesterday finaly plugged my quest in and tried, text much clearer but still not perfect… but scaling also seams off, felt like the baron was too small from what i remember of the real one

desperate for a g2 so i can read easiy the text on all the dials without hitting my head on the table

I’m looking forward to seeing in October the VR implementation until then I will wait to buy msfs2020. I hope they implement the simulator for canted hmd wide fov displays too. Please, don’t make us use parallel projections and take advantage of dx12 for vr. Keep pushing and show us what your api can do, Microsoft.