Visual difference between High and Ultra clouds?

I’ve watched the YouTube comparison videos and I’ve switched back and forth from High/Ultra clouds and I cannot tell the difference visually. Can someone provide examples of ultra clouds looking better than the high setting? Looking at ways to free up GPU power for some headroom, and for curiosity.

Thanks.

The visual difference is that on Ultra, my sim turns into a slideshow, rather than a smooth animation. Hahahah.

That being said, Ultra does look better, the cloud particles look sharper and more fluffy, especially on multilayered clouds.

I keep it to High, because Ultra drops my FPS too much.

2 Likes

Thank you. I’m really trying to focus on optimizing my sim vs tilting toward eye candy. I can run Ultra clouds, but with this new fps bug I’ve noticed the sim slowing. Was hoping I wasn’t missing much by putting clouds on high.

1 Like

I followed this guide when I was optimising my sim.

Yep, ran down this list a while back. I keep messing with the settings. Typically I can run many things on Ultra, but I like finding things that look the same but free up computing power. Thanks again.

I’ll check that out, I don’t care for glass cockpits other than high refresh rate b/c I like my instruments to be fluid.

Yeah, cockpit updates to medium feels very jerky. I don’t like it. I prefer to reduce visuals outside but keeping my cockpit refresh rate as High.

2 Likes

I can’t really see a difference either; might lose 2fps on Ultra, but Ultra does allow me to see my pixelated clouds better. Makes the pixels very sharp indeed.

3 Likes

The FPS drop occurs when you fly “through” them. The mist/fog particle rendering is a bit too heavy on Ultra. Distant cloud for me doesn’t make too much of an FPS different between Ultra and High. But when I fly through the clouds, especially the soft foggy one, the FPS drops like the Titanic on Ultra.

2 Likes

Have a look at

for an extensive list of the various settings, visual differences and performance hits.

3 Likes

Thank you, I have run down this list as well. Nice to get feedback from others enjoying this hobby.

1 Like

On my i9700 CPU and 2070 GC I can run the sim at 2.5k with clouds on ultra with no noticeable performance hit regardless of cloud type and layers. The clouds are one of the best things about the sim.

I could def see a differene.The clouds appear more 3D/realisitc in Ultra. A bit more blurry on high. What I do is switch mine to Ultra if I am flying the tubeliners.I find high the clouds tend to look blurry if I am way above them.

2 Likes