Vr clarity

I do 2 things, one is make sure your render scale in OpenXR is 100, anything less will make it blurry.

The other thing that I do is I turn on SteamVR to run MSFS, makes a big difference for me as I control OpenXR from there rather than the very rudementary WMH. Try that as you will have the same setting that you use in Xplane

I found that under mixed reality settings under “Experience Options” if I have it set to anything other than “Best Visual Quality” the VR image is blurry and shimmery. Setting that the “Best Visual Quality” gives me a rather clear image. Still a bit of a shimmer in the distance but everything else looks sharp. My Open XR is 70% and in-sim render-scaling at 100. I am currently running a 3080Ti however, up to last week I was on a 2080ti (Openx XR 70, RS 80) both give me a clear image.

I had a Reverb G2 but got tired of the sweet spot in the middle and blur on the edges of that small sweet spot. It definitely is sharper in the middle, and the whole world in general does not shimmer and seem ’ twitchy’ like in Oculus.

But I got the Quest 2, and though the view , including in the peripheries is much clearer, the whole world in FS2020 is shimmery and twitchy/ blurry. But strangely enough , the sensation of flight and height seems more immersive, though the overall image in the VR headset is a bit more jagged , compared to the G2

i have link sharpening enabled in the Oculus Debug Tool. Any other settings to get good clarity without the shimmering effect with an Oculus Quest 2 ?

@SlidHydra647449 After get in your cockpit and in vr Hit your right CTRL Key and number pad 1 key same time that will stabilize your view.

1 Like

Open a ticket with Asobo…

I don’t think so, it has been like this since SU5. Please vote/contribute to the below bugthread if you also have this issue as we have not had acknowledgement from the devs about it yet it seems to be affecting many people (/everyone?).

1 Like

I agree with what you’re saying. Since SU5 there has been a major degradation of VR image quality, although the FPS are better.
I basically stopped playing VR since then.
The LOD of the outside world seems to have visibly decreased, everything seems a lot more blurry and shimmering and the worst thing - it’s too bright. Often it’s hard to see labels in the cockpit. During the landing challenge in the Arctic everything outside the cockpit is simply white (#FFF).
Add to that regular CTD’s (which I don’t have on flat screen) - this could be a Reverb G2 / WMR issue, but that’s still MS software and partially hardware.

Actually thinking of selling my Reverb G2 if this doesn’t improve. Too much hassle and the 3D wow factor doesn’t compensate it anymore.

4 Likes

Hmmm…I’m probably coming from the other direction. While admitting that neither X-plane or MSFS seem to able to replicate the sharpness and fluidity you get in Aerofly FS2 (while acknowledging the major downsides also of that sim) after lots of tweaking and updating, I now have my Gen 1 reverb tangibly better on MSFS than X-plane (with Orbx True Earth GB scenery) ref the sharpness, both inside and outside the cockpit.

Clearly, a lot of this is down to hardware (my nvidia 2070Super couldn’t run MSFS in VR at all! I finally weakened and paid the king’s ransom for a 3080Ti) but the past few weeks of tweaking has yielded major benefits.

What I have done is:

• Updated to the latest nVidia driver
  • Updated all the OpenXR versions and made sure it is the WMR OpenXR runtime that is running and not the SteamVR OpenXR runtime version.
  • Started experimenting, one tweak and test flight at a time, with the myriad of settings in nVidia and MSFS and anywhere else I could think of.

And the results have surprised me from what I was seeing before in either sim, but especially MSFS. Whereas, only a few months ago, it was a case of ‘nice lighting but it’s GREAT to get back to X-plane’, it’s started to drift the other way.

No - it’s not perfect
No - there are no commercially available and affordable VR sets that get anywhere near monitor clarity
Yes - especially with the Gen 1, I get pretty visible ‘screen door effect’

But, I’ve had the best GA flights for clarity, scenic quality and cockpit text readability yet, and that’s in the stock Cessnas and some 3rd Party aircraft (JF Piper Arrow and Warrior; FlyingIron Simulations Spitfire IX - which I also have the X-plane versions too so can do a real like-for-like).

But yes - it’s running my Ryzen7 5800x and 3080Ti both at pretty much full whack. But then again, so is X-plane 11.

If your hardware is half decent (and surely a 3080 is more than half decent) it might be worth hanging on in there. Happy to post my most recent settings if that’s any use.

1 Like

This is the secret. I think by default it’s on “let windows decide” and windows always decides to down-scale the render quality in this game. You can’t ever get it clear unless you’re using “best visual quality”.

Then set the game to 100% render scale and finally adjust the openxr render scale until you’re satisfied with the performance. Don’t put all the game settings on ultra. There’s very little visual difference between ultra and high but there is a performance hit. I think volumetric clouds is the only ultra setting I use. Prefer high settings and then push your render scale as much as you can in openxr.

1 Like

I did the same thing with my Index and Quest 2 and got it just great after WU6 - but then I bought a couple of the jets (G.91 and MB-339) and everything went belly-up again!

So I stick to GA and bush/strip flying, which is my fave anyway - but it pays to bear in mind that good settings for a certain plane or type of aircraft is not going to necessarily be good for all aircraft.

1 Like

Maybe I’ve been conditioned by starting out with an Oculus CV1 and then experiencing the HP Reverb G2 but I’m very happy with the clarity in VR at present. With the G2, I can easily fly the CJ4 and read all instruments and read all small indications clearly. This is something I couldn’t do without zooming in with the CV1. Mind you, the sweet spot in the G2 takes a little getting used to but once mastered, it is fine.

The outside view, if you are used to running the sim in 4K, is a little disappointing but still so much clearer than my CV1 experience. I think 4K resolution is spoiling us with such sharp clarity that we wish the experience was the same in VR.

In any event, for me, VR is still very immersive and very enjoyable. This will only get better as Asobo have committed to working on VR next year and the standard of headsets is improving over time. It’s still early days in the sim and VR was an after thought from Asobo’s perspective. Once they make an effort to do it right, it will be a better experience.

1 Like

I’m running at 100 TAA render scale in MSFS graphics settings, 200 LOD for Terrain and Object detail but I increased the VR LODfactors in usercfg.opt from 1.0 to 2.0 and made the file read-only per advice given on the forum. I thought that significantly increased the level of detail in VR with a G2 and a 3090. I have OXR render scaling unchecked to let Windows decide but motion reprojection always on. VR settings almost all ULTRA including the new precache setting. I’m pretty happy with the results but I didn’t have the 3090 before SU5 so I only have a not-so-great 2070S previous experience to compare to. I haven’t fixed my FPS rate in the Nvidia Control Panel. I have cranked up my GPU fan with MSI Afterburner and the 3090 memory stays at less than 80 deg C with other GPU temperatures much lower but I’ve noticed my air-cooled i9-9900K hits 96.5 deg C (204 deg F) but found an Intel support person’s advice that anything less than 100 deg C is fine! (see response to poster): processor i9 9900k And high heat - Intel Community

The main issue it was already better.I was a vr beta tester and the clarity has declined a ton since I first put on my g2 in msfs,The reason I notice it so much I guess is because when I use xplane the clarity is ■■■■ sharp like I become used to in the g2,at a point in time both sims were kinda equal in clarity visuals,now everything outside the cockpit us just a blur,doesn’t matter if I run 150openxr and 100 in sim there is no remedy for it they have without a doubt downgraded somewhere along the line.

2 Likes

With all due respect, I think it’s a settings error. My G2 reverb in MSFS on 100% scaling is absolute razor sharp and clear.

2 Likes

Funny - I just reinstalled P3Dv3 yesterday (I have many payware add-ons that won’t run in 64bit) and this morning I tried FlyInside with my Index and the fps were rock solid at 90 and there was zero reprojection, with fpsVR flatlining in the green for both GPU and CPU - though on occasion there was a spike on various cores of the cpu.

I never had too many issues with VR in the previous sims - just that awful flashing in P3D, but I never had this kind of performance, either.

Gobsmacked, considering how many issues people had when that was released. I wonder how it would be with the Azure engine and that lovely 2020 scenery…

The main issue it was already better.I was a vr beta tester and the clarity has declined a ton since I first put on my g2 in msfs,The reason I notice it so much I guess is because when I use xplane the clarity is ■■■■ sharp like I become used to in the g2,at a point in time both sims were kinda equal in clarity visuals,now everything outside the cockpit us just a blur,doesn’t matter if I run 150openxr and 100 in sim there is no remedy for it they have without a doubt downgraded somewhere along the line.

I agree 100%

It would be interesting to see what makes things clearer for some. I have the WMR settings to best visual quality, and render settings to 100 (in OpenXR and MSFS), default NVidia CP settings (on 3080Ti paired with 5800X and 32GB RAM) and X-Plane is noticeably sharper than MSFS in my Reverb G2 for cockpits indicators and labels. While not disastrous, I do need to strain more to read things in MSFS and end my IFR flying sessions feeling noticeably more tired than a similar session in X-Plane, but it could simply be how the TAA is built.

I wonder however if there is any Nvidia CP setting that could help - I’m just afraid of deviating from the default options!

Adding to this the shimmering on towns, trees and WU scenery at close to medium distance (even when in active pause) that seems to have been added/gotten worse in SU5 (at least for those who have the issue), it’s a bit distracting when flying in VR.

Your setup is pretty much identical to mine - 5800x (auto o/clock to 4.8); a supplier overclocked 3080Ti; 32Gb RAM.
I’ll do some more experimenting between X-plane and MSFS, particularly ref readability in the cockpit but the result of my most recent tweaks I would give the edge to MSFS for clarity in my Gen1 Reverb (which resolution-wise should be the same or a bit inferior to your Gen2).
Prior to the most recent updates and tweaks, I would have said that X-plane had the edge.

I’m more that happy to share my settings - maybe as a pm rather that fill up the thread (unless other folk are interested)?

One thing, that is relevant, though, is which runtime version of OpenXR you are using. I find that using the SteamVR OpenXR runtime in MSFS gives a noticeably less defined view in the cockpit script and dials than the WMR OpenXR runtime.

I’ll do some more comparisons and let you know what I’m getting this side. Which aircraft are you comparing with in the two sims?

1 Like

My hardware is nearly identical to yours but my i9 10900k (light overclocked) stays below 50C while running the sim in VR. At 95C you are likely getting thermal throttling on the cpu and it won’t help your long term health of the CPU. If you can fit a liquid cooled AIO in your case they are relatively cheap ($100 or $150), easy to hook up and make a world of difference if the air cooler can’t keep up. Also, try to improve the airflow with more fans. 95C is too high for long term use and getting the best results from the cpu in my opinion. I know they say up too 100c is ok but I think it thermal throttles at lower temps.

Every time I try to fly since SU5 I hope and pray that it is a settings error, and that I finally stumble upon the magical configuration. All I’ve done since SU5 is waste time tweaking settings. After awhile this is no longer fun.

The only thing I can seem to do to get things back to the clarity I had before SU5 is run at 100 TAA or higher, and set my SteamVR SS to something crazy like 260%, which kills my performance. I am using a Valve Index with a 2080S, and prior to SU5 VR was crisp and clear with adequate performance.

If you honestly think this is a settings issue, I’m open for any suggestions you might have. I rarely start the sim anymore at this point because I’m only interested in flying in VR, and I’m sick of feeling like I have vaseline smeared on the inside of my HMD lenses.

2 Likes

Well that was interesting!

I did some more comparisons, flying the stock Cessna G1000’s from both X-plane and MSFS. Same runway, same weather conditions, same time of day. Sat on the runway with engine running, then a take-off, circuit and land. I focussed on the cockpit readability for this test.

A reminder - same kit as you @japayannick except my Reverb is a Gen 1

Here’s a summary of my results:

For instrument panel graphics (warning notices, etc, printed on the panel itself) - tangibly and impressively sharper on the MSFS version. No problem reading any of the printed text from the standard seating position, including the smaller switch and knob stuff.

However

For G1000 soft pad text (AP buttons/Com buttons etc) - bright but pretty much unreadable on the MSFS G1000 units. All buttons readable from the same sitting distance on X-plane.

I have to say that, to my eye, the look of the X-plane G1000 units is much more realistic than the ‘computer game generic’ look of the MSFS one, in spite of the panel itself being much better on that sim than X-plane

Gauges - fully readable in both sims (although have to bend forward in both cases for the teeny weeny barometric text) with MSFS tangibly, though not massively, clearer.

Other noticeable differences are fairly well known:

• More micro judder on MSFS, especially when moving head inside the cockpit
  • Great low altitude scenery on MSFS. The Orbx True Earth on my X-plane actually is just as detailed, but the lighting, as we know, is much better (esp early morning/late afternoon) in MSFS
  • Pop-ins on MSFS. Much less of a problem with the latest update and my previous settings tweaks, but still there.

That said, flying in either in VR still blows my socks off…

1 Like