VR Controller support is missing. Please add in addition to 3D mouse

As one who has been using controllers in X-Plane VR I see no reason why a mouse pointer would be any more destructive to immersion than a green laser pointer. It’s also just as easy for me to reach for a mouse as a controller. Of course, I haven’t tried it yet (can’t wait for Tuesday) but I think I could get used to the mouse.

Agreed that finger tracking with haptic gloves would be the ideal.

3 Likes

Definitely need hand controller support! Nothing beats the immersion of reaching for buttons, flicking switches and twisting dials with one hand in the cockpit while using a yoke and pedals. Doing this with a mouse just kills it for me and feels unnatural. I was very surprised controllers won’t be supported at VR launch. Even if it was just for the new G2 controllers for the people who paid extra for these with their shiny new headset just for this sim. (not me I’m running a Rift S). I’m sure they’ll add support for hand controllers in a future update though.

I’m on a motion platform. Mouse does not work for me. Hope this gets upvoted.

Also, I never saw a pilot in real live using mouse instead of his arm to grep buttons and turn knobs. It adds much to immersion.

1 Like

What kind of a motion platform?

DOFreality H3

Well i always found controllers awkward in x plane. The 3d mouse worked great for me and a lot more easier from yoke to mouse.
Saying that, hope they add them later…for the non mousies here!

1 Like

I’m a little ambivalent on the controllers vs mouse issue. On the one hand it is very nice to be able to manipulate the cockpit switches and dials totally in VR, but the controllers, at least in X-Plane, are somewhat awkward and take a lot of mental adjustment. I fly at a desk using a joystick in my LH and the controller in the RH. I find that in order to point the laser just right I have to hold my arm at a very awkward angle just to avoid hitting the desk. Even then it is hard to manipulate some of the inside/outside knobs and get just the right angle on the switches.
I’m hoping that the mouse on MSFS will be easier to use without taking away any of the immersion.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

1 Like

As you can see in my earlier comment with a photo, I have set up a simple DIY arrangement so there is no table. The only time I have to use a laser is for writches directly behind or below the yoke. Most things, at least in 737 never require using the “laser” and can be manipulated directly. Until hand tracking with haptic feedback (gloves?) is a reality, controllers are the next best thing. And there should be both a mouse and a controller support, so there is no problem with choosing whatever you like.

2 Likes

All right, guys and gals, I have to confess something. Being a newbie to VR (just because of MSFS) I was very keen and excited about today`s VR launch. Did a few traffic patterns, but it felt like I was stuck to the windshield. Was not able to translate my position in the cockpit for a standard visual position and still being able to reach yoke and pedals. Only after being extremely confused about the Reverb G2 controller not being recognized I stumbled on this post here.
Seriously? No VR controller support? Even to me as a VR newcomer that’s like going to a restaurant ordering and getting your food but not the silverware. Not owning a throttle quadrant, I was expecting to control thrust, mixture, flaps, lights, gear and everything with the controller. Instead I kept tentatively fingering my keyboard like a first-day braille student trying to figure out which button is which. All the trouble I had with my position calibration, increasing, decreasing thrust, extending flaps, etc. ruined it for me. Yes, I was rooting for VR (still am) but please Asobo, please, hand us knife and fork to our meal.

3 Likes

Well said. I was stunned to discover this… I hope the controller support is coming soon. It’s not a real VR experience without it.

2 Likes

Now that I’ve had a chance to play around in the cockpit and try out the mouse in VR I can confidently say that I hate it. I thought the tiny knobs were hard to manipulate in X-Plane but they’re simplicity itself compared to the VR mouse in MSFS. Have you tried to use the MFD map controls in the TBM930? I challenge you to change the map scale. I’m sure it’s a bug but I can’t imagine how it made it past the beta testers.

It’s frustrating to see all those lifelike dials switches and knobs and not be able to touch any of them. We really need controller input.

1 Like

Now that there is a VR category open in the forum, I tried to update this topic to this category. But the voting disappears. Hopefully when I updated back, votes seem to remain. Please continue to upvote this.

Yes, I received a notification that this wishlist request has been completed. It must have been generated when you tried to move the topic.

1 Like

This is weird, must be a bug. The topic seems normal, I hope voting is still enabled.

VITAL!!! Please add??

1 Like

VR without controllers… It’s a shame, ASOBO and Microsoft! You’ve made a superb simulator with the capability of the gorgeous VFR, but you didn’t intend to make VR implementation at first. Now, finally the VR is here, but you try to persuade us that the mouse is the best option. In XPlane I can choose between mouse and controllers - or I can use both of them at the same time. While the number of your developers is much bigger than the one of Xplane…

2 Likes

I must agree here. I have been using X-Plane 11 with VR since it came out 2 years ago. MSFS2020 is really missing the point of VR with a headset only addition. I am not a game design manager, but how hard can it be to look what X-Plane 11 and FS2 did and design that type of VR support into a newly released update? I will admit the graphics look great in VR, and everything looks very real but what is the point if I cannot reach up and flip a switch or reach out and manipulate the yoke?
Seriously, look at what X-Plane has already figured out and compete with them in the VR realm. I hope Microsoft/Asobo did not pay much for the development of this VR upgrade because for only view capability in an already 3d created world should have been easy for a VR engineer. The real work/money would be in in all the control surfaces of all the different aircraft.

2 Likes

For those who prefer using a mouse, more power to you. Some people like using the mouse as a yoke. Good for them.

For me (and I imagine a lot of hardcore simmers) the whole point of a flight sim is to get as close as possible to really feeling like you’re flying an airplane. For me, every time I had to touch the keyboard or mouse was breaking the immersion since I don’t know any planes that use keyboards or mice in real life. I spent thousands on controllers and instrument panels so that I never needed to touch the mouse or keyboard when flying. I got there but most of my view was still just the room I was sitting in. I got a Triplehead2go, 3 monitors and TrackIR to help with that and it was pretty good. But nothing compares to just sitting in the middle of my room in my VR headset with two hand controllers and my rudder pedals just reaching out and flipping switches, twisting knobs, and so on. That is true immersion and as close to real as it gets. The only downside is using the yoke with a controller takes some getting used to but it’s not so bad once you do. For helicopters though, the VR controllers are better than a HOTAS IMHO. I was also really disappointed by the VR announcement to see that VR controllers weren’t supported at all and hope they are implemented soon.

6 Likes

Gotta agree with the OP. Controllers in VR are a must.

Simply replicating the features x-plane has would be great - and for those complaining about x-plane, I gotta basically disagree. You can map the 3d mouse on/off to a button on your gesture controller or yoke\etc. That works great for the rare instances\planes the 3d cursor is useful.

The overall eco-system of x-plane, with LUA and native plugins and the 3D panel system in VRm with the various VR add-ons such as move VR are simply incredible.

Controller support is totally required. The ‘I am happy with a mouse!’ people should be ridiculed and ignored in the strongest possible sense. The lack of controller support is shocking\disapointing. I bought the expensive delux premium edition when VR was announced a few months ago. Sad to see it is at least for now, very quarter-baked.

I also want the teleport feature like in x-plane! doing outside of airplane checklists is great fun!

Also please add proper bindings for all the instrumentation, especially G1000 knobs,etc. With that we could at least map controllers for the knobs so we can fly in VR without going >insane< trying to use the ‘3d mouse’ to fly IFR. It is currently impossible.

2 Likes

hmmm which right now do you think should have a higher priority:

VR Motion Controller Support

Or

Performance improvements

Even if VR hands came tomorrow, people would still complain about them not being usuable due to performance issues. Why not take care of the performance issues first THEN add bells and whistles like VR hands and teleportation?

It’s elitists like you that give VR players a bad name. I’m completely content with the mouse since i’m quite capable of using it to interact with my plane and not lose any sense of immersion. I’m already giddy because i feel like i’m flying a real 747 or whatever. Anything else is icing on the cake. (wearable pilots hats, pinnable virtual wings an aviator sunglasses exclusively for VR users?) Would i try VR hands? Yes i would just because the option is there. would i swear by it? I already swear by VR and that already makes me kind of a jerk…

The “What i want is what everyone needs” people should be ridiculed and ignored in the strongest possible sense