VR - Express your first impressions

Intel i5-9600k, 32G RAM, NVMe drives, RTX2080. Quest 2. Saitek X-56 stick and throttle.

Feeling is great. Graphics are smooth. Takes a bit to get used to using a mouse on a 3d surface, but once you get the concept, it’s very cool.

No additional motion sickness for me, although I very rarely have issues.

Not sure why, but when you have the Oculus app and MFS running at the same time (before turning on VR) performance gets pummeled. Not sure where the bottleneck is, but wow. Corrects itself once you turn on VR in-game. I note that one of the issues claimed by the devs is that this is a problem with Windows Mixed Reality, so it’s interesting to see it in Oculus as well.

The only other thing that’s a little annoying is that Oculus Q2 resolution isn’t high enough to read the text in windows well. (like the route guide, many instruments, etc.). Wish I had that HP set… :slight_smile:

So, all very good, except…

The PC-link to Oculus keeps crashing. The plane keeps flying, and then flying with no VFR or IFR means the plane keeps crashing… :slight_smile:

I’ll note that this is the only thing that I use PC-link for on the oculus, so it may not be FS. I’ll give some other apps a try and see if it repros there as well.

Takeaway, other than the crash, looks great.

Follow-up. Experienced the PC-link crash in just the Oculus home. Switched to different USB-C port and haven’t had it happen again.

Was originally using the USB C port on the RTX 2080. This other one is a 10Ggbps USB 3.1 controller. Not sure it that’s the difference.

Anyway, seems not to be a Flight Simulator issue.

VR Setup: Oculus Quest and Quest0 Link.
GPU: RTX 2070 Super 8GB.

My impression: I ****in hate it. I am so frustrated because I can see so much promise based on the few flights that I did take. Why couldn’t Microsoft get this right? Why should one need to go through all the hacks and settings (Oculus Debug tool, etc.) to get this to barely work.

I have tried all the tweaks and settings, but it is barely playable. If someone is using a similar setup and can help me, I would be so grateful.

Its great but not ready yet… I get good results one day. Spend the day tweaking… Go to sleep… Start to do a real flight and the whole thing just goes to ■■■■ and runs like ■■■■ (Thinking that if your always setting up your vr in same airport and getting it going good, changing to new area your FPS goes to ■■■■).

So I’m pretty much done… If I wanna fly around a Cessna 172 for some fun… Than I will try VR again… But flying anything other than small GA aircraft is not possible it seems… Unless you want massive headache and just annoying experience.

Hopefully in next year or so they will Iron out bugs. But I doubt it… I suspect that VR is not a thing yet that realistic for flight simulators. Regret buying it at this point… Just sits around.

3080 GTX
32 Gigs Ram
Index HDM.

What do you mean by photo realistic…which setting is that ?

My set up is an i7 7600 and a Gigabyte Xtreme OC RTX 3080. 16GB RAM.

Still in the process of getting it all working and optimised as well as I can but as of today I really think I’m almost there. I’ve got it looking as good as I think its going to and I’ve got the FPS where it probably needs to be. Any performance boost I get over and above this will be down to Asobo and Nvidia optimising the sim and RTX drivers more.

My thoughts on VR and very positive. Its incredibly rich and immersive. I can see it being very difficult to going back to playing it on a flat screen now. VR is such a game changer. Just in general I think VR is coming of age now finally. The Quest 2 is a real game changer for the medium. We’re going to see better and better headsets and PC hardware thats more and more optimised to run VR properly and with greater ease.

My favourite VR experience in the sim so far is zooming around the Swiss alps in the MB-339 fast jet. Such amazing fun. I tried that Eurofighter Typhoon but it doesn’t seem well optimised. I get a massive performance hit with it. Shame, since it looks like it should be great fun.

So I’ve finally got it set up and running but dang, it’s not so bad in the cockpit but the surrounding areas outside are really blurry and ruins the immersion for me, I wasn’t expecting it to be like my monitor view which is gorgeous but really let down with the visuals to be honest… got quite a decent rig and it runs the 2D just fine…using Steam and Quest 2, I’m completely new to this VR thing so any suggestions about sharpening up the visuals would be most welcome

Threadripper 2950X
RTX 2080 Ti
64Gb RAM
Oculus rift

My first impression of this experience are mind blowing. I actually feel like I’m a commercial pilot sitting in the cockpit taking my passengers on to their destination. Not gonna lie, it took some fiddling to dial in my settings but I’m at a point where I can spend hours flying an airliner with pretty sharp graphics and minor stuttering, usually when on the ground and doing sharp turns. I’m looking forward to the sim evolving and getting more optimisations and eventually buying a higher res headset.

My better rig is 900ks away at home, and was too big to carry on a train ( I did think of a trolley) I knew VR was coming and was super excited. But with no rig, No VR as I would be away for at least eight weeks caring for elderly mum. With some luck I was able to afford a gaming laptop but not top specs and buy a Quest 2 plus a cheaper link cable.

I read all I could of everyone’s experiences and then became aware of the steps needed to enable MSFS 2020 VR in the quest 2. It only took six days for the Quest to arrive and another 48 hours of reading hundreds of webpages, forum posts and trial and error and editing the registry.

Finally I was ready, the steps were done loaded MSFS and waited until in the cockpit of the A5, then hit ControlTab after take off with the AI piloting-recentered my view. Suddenly I was in the plane not looking at it!
It was amazing, I yelled and laughed with joy "I am flying over Queenstown NZ " just wow!
The poor Laptop got to 92 C, the engine and ATC sounds were coming from the laptop not the headset ? but that was ok. It was everything I hoped for.
Since then -a 30 min flight over Sydney Harbour and a quick spin over the Gold Coast QLD in a thunder storm. Plus today around Uluhru.

Sure it will get better, but coming from my first flight sim a green neon stick figure plane- this is like being in a holodeck! well done Asobo!
Specs - ACER Nitro i5 10300 CPU @2.5GHz 8 GB ram
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB ram 512 SSD

Nice first implementation. But the cockpit readability is horrible. RTX 2080Ti and G2 headset. I fly DCS also, and cockpits are easily readable there with similar settings… so we know it is doable…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.