VR issues - Oculus Rift S

I’ve spent the last couple of hours tweeking and I think I have it set to a comfortable level that balances quality and performance.

First, my rig (Good, but not superb):

• Intel i7-9700K overclocked to 4.7GHz
  • 16GB Ram
  • Geforce GTX 1080 Ti, also overclocked with an MSI Afterburner profile
  • Oculus Rift S

I first did the update to beta version of Oculus software, then turned off the “Use FOV Stencil” to get rid of the black thingie on the screen.

I then actually set my Rift software to prioritize performance over quality. Why? Because I want the tray tool and game to deal with resolution. I may change it to quality after a while to see if it changes anything, but I still find I can read the instrument panel just fine.

In the Oculus Tray Tool I run these settings:
Super Sampling: 1.2
CPU Priority: High
ASW Mode: 30 Hz (what? why 30? I tested all the modes and this was the most smooth for me. YMMV)
GPU Scaling: On (I found this to cause less jittering)

If you are using a profile in Oculus Tool Tray, make sure the EXE Path is correct (mine is D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe) and that you hear “Game Launch Detected” when the game starts. You can verify the proper settings are being used by monitoring the log window as you launch the game.

For in-game settings, the two most important for me were to set the render scaling to 100. Anything less and it’s too difficult to read the instruments. Anything higher and you start to lose FPS quickly. Let the 1.2 Super Sampling be the thing that ups the quality. You can play with these two things to see how things behave for you. Trial and error will find a good balance. Also, I use TAA for anti-aliasing. All the other options created too much noise.

As far as all the other in-game graphic settings, it’s all about what you find most important in regards to quality vs. performance. Play around and see what works for you. I cannot run very many things higher than medium here, but I’ll probably spend a few days turning things up and down and seeing what causes the most hits in performance. Happy flying!

Edit: Just wanted to say that I always seem to start in a weird position, but hitting the space bar for me sets me in the pilot’s seat. Then I can use the arrow keys to make any minor movements. If the keys aren’t working, click anywhere on the screen with the mouse…you may have lost focus when switching to VR.

10 Likes