VR looks washed out with G2

Chances are, your monitor is “at fault” in that it oversaturates colours. Some monitors, especially those that have a high colour gamut, tends to oversaturate colours in the sRGB space. While it may look nice, it is inaccurate. So when you go back to “correct” colours, it will look washed out.

2 Likes

Right, but I prfer looking nice to realistic in this case! Also, in the G2 many things definitely look less saturated than reality I think (especially the landscapes)

1 Like

I also find that the colors sometimes don’t look good (VR - G2). As long as the sun is obscured by the clouds, the colors look good. However, if I fly with a cloudless sky, the green is no longer green, but almost aquamarine, the whole scene looks washed out and the houses look like on a model railroad …

1 Like

OK, I tried yesterday to change the resolution settings within the oculus software.

When you open the oculus software on your pc make sure your oculus is connected to the PC. Then go to Devices, click there and in the menu scroll a little bit down. Somewhere it should say where you can can change the glass frequency (72hz (default), 80hz and 90hz I believe.
There is also a slider were you can change the resolution.
I changed my from 72hz / ~2000 x 3000 resolution to 72hz / ~3000 x 5000 resolution (max). ( I don’t remember the exact number).
I noticed a much more crip vision where allowing me to read the number on the airplane pane. Not all perfect but much better. However I also noticed that it took longer to compile the pictures in the glasses. When I moved by head faster from the right to left, I saw briefly black bars on the sides of the screen. So I guess you need to find the balance.
I will try to find out what happens if I change the glas frequency from 72hz to 90hz.

Hope that helps.

I find it way to bright when flying on a clear day too. The planes become featureless white things until you zoom in very close to offset the brightness if that makes sense.

1 Like

There is a solution for AMD Radeon user:

Tested it and it works just fine. :slight_smile:
Got good results with +10 contast and +20 saturation, the picture looks M U C H better now.’

Unfortunately I’ve only got some minutes with this nicer picture until the next CTD. :smiley:

1 Like

I use +10 contrast, -4 brightness and +30 saturation. I like saturated colors in vr, makes it feel more real.

Isn’t this a Radeon only fix though?

Yeah, as I said… :wink:

How dare you only fix your own problems and not mine too!! /S

1 Like

It will never ever do with the current HMD technology. Either you live with it, or send it back and wait for 2-3 generations.

Whoops. Yeah, so you did. Didn’t realise there was text above the link :grinning:

I’ve got a Quest 2, keep going back and forth on getting a G2, was it worth the upgrade to you do you think?

Overall, I would say that I am very pleased with the upgrade. It’s a definite step up in both sound and vision. The only thing I miss is the Oculus platform. Their idea of reprojection is a lot more solid than WMR’s attempt. Oculus also has a solid platform, and make game-playing a doddle on the whole. And they are constantly updating, and refining their software. Consequently, I still have the Quest 2. It’s just too versatile to get rid of, and is constantly improving.

Have to agree. Way too bright in the G2. I try all sorts of weather and time of day to make it look as realistic as possible. Would love to have, as Pimax does, colour and brightness contrast sliders.

Whilst not a fix, I was flying the Just Flight Piper Arrow earlier, in very bright conditions. I was going over the French Alps, and the mountains were very bleached-looking. I pulled down the sun visor, and wow! What a difference. The mountains, and valleys looked vibrant. And there were a few planes, without labels, flying higher than me, that had hitherto been completely invisible against the clear sky. Suddenly, they were easily spotted, with their wing, and tail lights blinking away brightly. Maybe some kind of virtual sunglasses could make all the difference.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.