VR Performance sometimes 5-6 fps, sometimes 36fps {Quest 2, 5600x, 3070]

Basically, sometimes I have great FPS (36 locked on the ground at KATL) and randomly other times I have like 5-6 fps. If i start the flight loaded in with VR view its ok more times than not, but if I ever leave VR then come back fps is down to 5 or 6 again, and then right after that going back to 2d its very laggy which I usually have like 50fps maxed. This is with OTT, toolkit with 90percent resolution scaling, 100 percent ingame with TAA and mix of settings around medium-ish. With link cable

I open to any suggestions to try and remedy this. Its driving me crazy because I know its there but the performance is literally all over the place.

Try this: Terrible performance after switching 2D/3D - #13 by spacet0ur1st

Solutions I know of are:

• As much as you probably don’t want to hear this, once you go into VR don’t go out of it until you are ending your MSFS session.
  • Shutdown WMR, or whatever the equivalent is for non-WMR headsets, when you switch out of VR then start it back up again when you are ready to go into VR again.
  • Get a GPU with more VRAM. For some of us who have upgraded to GPUs with more VRAM, this seems to allow MSFS the VRAM headroom to switch between 2D and VR without performance penalty.
2 Likes

Reinstall the sim, that has worked for me in the past with both Oculus and WMR random performance problems.

@Bawdog4

Hi,

Is your MSFS texture resolution set on medium? I also have an RTX 3070 with Quest 2 and struggled with a similar issue until I lowered the texture resolution from high to medium.

I’ve also changed by encode bitrate from 300 back to 0.

My card has 8GB of VRAM and it really struggled on high. It still occasionally glitches, but the issue is noticeably less frequent and on the rare occasions when it does happen it usually recovers.

Cheers,

2 Likes

same for me with RTX3080. Switching Texture resolution to medium really helped

1 Like

Hey guys, i matched pc and vr settings and also switched texture resoultion to medium it has really really helped. I appreciate all the replies

1 Like

medium texture resolution did the trick. i was following a someone on youtube’s settings for a 3070 but obviously his card must have more than 8gb vram. But out of curiosity, what settings are you running with your 3070? thanks again

1 Like

unfortunately 8GB is just not enough to MSFS. (in VR)

I had same issues bad FPS and switching from VR to desk top pretty much usless unplayable. Until I recently stopped using open XR, now I get better FPS than ever No issues. 50 + even in heavy scenery RTX3080 Icore 9. I can switch VR to Desktop all day long.

1 Like

is there any other option when using quest 2? other than openxr

I let it open with the oculus tool. nothing else. I am not sure if any updates or the new Nvidea driver made the difference but its better than ever . no need for open XR at least for me.

No worries, happy to help. Glad you got it sorted.

I’m not at my PC at the moment but happy to share my settings. I’ll add another comment to this thread in the next day or two with my current settings.

Cheers,

@Bawdog4

Copy of the settings I’m currently using on my Quest 2 with the RTX 3070:

Airlink and link cable (i use both).
80Hz mode and headset resolution is 4864 x 2448 in Oculus app

Oculus Debug Tool:
Note: all settings at default unless listed below:
FOV-Tangent Multiplier = 0.9 x 0.8
(PC) Asynchronous Spacewarp = Off
Encode Bitrate (Mbps) = 0
Link Sharpening = Enabled
Mobile ASW = Disabled

Nvidia Control Panel:
I’m using game-ready driver 517.48
Anistropic filtering = 8x
Background Application Max Frame Rate = 40 FPS
Texture filtering - anistropic sample option = Off
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias = Clamp

MSFS in-game settings:
Anti-aliasing = TAA
Render Scaling = 100
AMD fidelityfx sharpening = 200
reprojection mode = off
world scale = 100 (I use 113.5% in OpenXR Toolkit)
nvidia reflex low latency = on
Terrain LOD = 100
Off screen terrain pre-caching = ultra
Terrain vector data = medium
Building, Trees, Grass and Bushes = medium
Objects LOD = 100
Clouds = medium
texture resolution = medium
anistropic filtering = off
texture supersampling = 4x4
texture synthesis = medium
water waves = high
shadow maps = 1024
terrain shadows = 512
contact shadows = medium
windshield effects = high
ambient occlusion = medium
cubemap reflections = 192
raymarched reflections = off
light shafts = medium
bloom = on
glass cockpit refresh rate = high

VR traffic settings = AI Offline (I use Aerosoft Simple Traffic).
Multiplayer Traffic is enabled. I regularly use live weather, and photogrammetry is enabled.

OpenXR Toolkit:

Performance Tab:
Upscaling/Sharpening = CAS
Sharpness = 94%
Fixed Foveated Rendering = off
Turbo mode = off
Frame rate throttling = 40

If people are having FPS issues with a 3080ti and 40’s Card. Will MSFS will run like FSX and we will have take as it is ?
Why hasn’t MSFS put out a System configuration that will work as intended.

Here are the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 System Requirements (Minimum)

1. CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 or AMD Ryzen 3 1200 or better.
  2. RAM: 8 GB.
  3. OS: Windows 10 64-bit.
  4. VIDEO CARD: Radeon RX 570 or GeForce GTX 770 or better.
  5. PIXEL SHADER: 5.0.
  6. VERTEX SHADER: 5.0.
  7. FREE DISK SPACE: 150 GB.
  8. DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 2048 MB.

Or update this one.

Turn your level of detail LOD down to 25-30 you will not see any difference in graphics except a Hugh FPS boost .