VR with AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT and AMD Ryzen 9 5900X and Oculus Quest 2 over Oculus Link

Copy / paste of a message found on a discord on the Quest 2 with an RX 6800 XT
"For having tested the 6900 XT at 986 € which was disappointing in VR, frankly putting 1000 € in a 6800 XT is clearly science fiction. Personally I left on a 3090 FE and at least I have some for it. my money.
With my Quest 2 yes really disappointing. My old RTX 2080 Ti did as much see even better on some games
after I give the info from my own experience because I believed in this RX 6900 XT at the base.
I hope for AMD that they will be able to do better with updates later on because it is clearly better to go with the RTX 3080/3090 for VR
the other concern of AMD cards is precisely on the compression because I also saw bugs never seen with my old RTX 2080 Ti nor my new RTX 3090 FE. In my opinion in Link you will be quickly disappointed.
I also tested in wifi 6 via my Asus router and no problem with Nvidia, but also AMD … not good "

Yes - as I said this is due to the compression. So if you HMD is a Quest 2 AMD is not your friend :frowning:

I’ve been thinking for a long time whether to go with the RTX 3080 or 6800XT and finally decided to go with the AMD CPU/GPU combination. Since the computer should mainly be used for MSFS2020 with the G2, I thought I had made the right decision (in terms of performance and 16GB VRAM). Meanwhhile I have already invested almost 30h in VR and yes, the simulator crashes often.

But both the graphics card with the drivers, as well as the flight simulator is new and the bugfix will still accompany us for the next few months. I’m definitely underdogged with my AMD combination, as there’s less on YT or here in the forum about the 6800XT+MSFS2020. Probably Nividia has the better cards and it reminds me a bit of the question of faith Apple or Android or Win vs. OS.

In the end I found a great setting for my usage and am very happy with the hardware as well as the flight simulator. Of course it’s frustrating all the problems, but they seem to exist with all possible combinations and I’m confident that this will get better with the next updates. Next to the MSFS2020 I am playing without any problems other simulator (Project Cars, Dirt Rally 2.0, Assetto Corsa, or No Mans Sky). Therefore I guess this is only a driver issue with the great flightsimulator :wink:

2 Likes

I deactivated the motion reprojection in OpenXR against the recommendations of other users and since then FS2020 with VR runs more stable again.
@Gsx31: how did you decide now. Keep the card, or replace it with a 3080?

I received the RX 6800 XT on Friday. For the moment, I have practically no gain compared to my GTX 1080 TI on MSFS with my modest Oculus CV with the same settings. If there is a gain, it is only a few FPS, like 30fps when I have 26 with the 1080 TI
It’s the same with X-Plane 11.
With Assetto Corsa Competizione I even have drops in FPS which I don’t have with GTX 1080 TI below 45 FPS. I read that these RX 6800s struggled to handle ASW which might explain these drops in FPS
The only game where I have a big win is Euro Truck Simulator, although I never use it. I go from 45FPS to 90 with the same settings, while Ultra. But visually speaking, I don’t see any difference in ASW’s 45 FPS and 90 FPS.
Before sending it back I will reinstall a Windows on a new hard drive, to test it on a clean basis. But I’m afraid these are good cards for screens, but not great for VR.

I’m worried a little when reading this because FS2020 is being coded for Xbox DX12 using the same architecture…

Maybe this problem comes from the fact that they are more leaning on the Xbox DX12 at the moment, because it will bring more money …
Maybe they made these RX 6800s for screen gamers without thinking of VR gamers because they only represent a small market share. While console players represent a BIG market share.

@Gsx31 thanks for your effort…I’m in the process of building my pc for FS and for ACC. And I do pretend to play both on VR with the G2…and as of today I’m still undecided between the RX6800 or the GTX3070 or GTX3080…and has you say, (also I saw some benchmarks tests) and the AMD are better for screen gaming…as you also benefit from having the double RAM on the AMD vs the GTX…let me know if it changes with a clean OS installed…

edit : check the benchmark test on techspot RX6800 vs GTX3070
edit2: which one do you guys recommend between the GTX’s? the 3070 or 3080 or even the 3090…is it really worth it, going with the 80 or 90? it becomes almost prohibitive in terms of pricing…

I bought a rx 6900xt red devil. It’s a fast card, and you can tweak it real easy. But it’s not totally VR ready. A shame really I think in general it’s an amazing card. But I will probably sell it… :frowning:

I am a rift s owner, and asw works really good, but only if you can achieve high fps around 70/80 fps (asw off) . For example in dcs I have a smooth 80 fps without asw (max fps in rift s) and when I turn on asw the landscape is perfectly smooth when flying, even better then without asw, silky smooth never experienced something like that in VR with flightsims. Same for ACC, I can reach 80 fps and its really smooth actually with or without asw. I almost had to get used to it so smooth seriously, the corners are coming faster at me… amazing really I was seriously overwhelmed. The best VR experience I had in a long time… , 28 ai cars with rain, ss 1.4, render scale 100, silky smooth.

But if I go for example. 30hz locked in dcs it’s real choppy. Weird right? If I can achieve 80 fps how come 30fps is that stuttery…I expect it’s less smooth then 80 fps but I don’t expect all the stutters in the scenery when looking outside, that doesn’t make sence compared to my 1080ti.
My 1080ti can’t achieve fps this high, but it is relatively smooth at 30hz with maybe 24/27 fps in MSFS, just like in x plane 11.

In MSFS asw is basically never smooth with my 6900xt because you never reach the 80 fps peak with asw off. Lot’s of scenery stutters feels indeed like 10 fps looking outside the side windows…

This is a huge con. The biggest con you can have in VR for flightsims basically.
My 1080ti is even playable on 18hz with the oculus tray tool…

Without fps lock in a ga aircraft I have a 45/50 fps with render scale 100 and 140 ss, maybe 40 fps above new york (mediummhigh settings). Really good performance actually, but what everybody is describing the scenery is not perfectly smooth looking outside, still good tho more occassional stutters, but with asw on or fps lock the scenery is a stuttery mess…
Inside the cockpit and in front it’s perfectly smooth. And I think that’s the key difference. You know with nvidia there is this black shimmering going on at the edge of your glasses when turning your head. AMD is maybe smoother inside, but less smooth looking outside with a lower fps. It’s almost as if amd and nvidia uses different asw ‘techniques’… and nvidia has a better allround implementation.

Basically for now these amd gpu’s aren’t future proof for MSFS in VR. Think about it…all the upcoming add-ons. We need that smooth 45hz, 30hz or 18hz fps lock. My advice for this specific reason alone don’t buy a AMD gpu for now.

AMD Mixed reality users experience the same with fps lock?

2 Likes

I just did some tests to compare the performance between my GTX 1080 TI and the RX 6800 TX on a new installation of Windows 10, with the Oculus Rift CV1

TBM 930 aircraft
Departure: KJFK
Arrival: KLGA
From VOR to VOR
AI piloting

RX 6800 XT:
Hold on track: 39/42 fps
In flight: 30/33 fps then 30/36 fps
1 drop to 18 fps Maxi 45 fps

GTX 1080 TI
Hold on track: 28/30 fps
In flight: 36/39 fps then 33/36 fps 28/30 fps
Some drops at 0 fps

It is clear that these RX 6800 XT is not at all optimized for VR.
When I see the low performance with a CV1, I don’t even dare to imagine with an HP Reverb G2, or even with an Oculus Quest 2. Or you have to put all the settings in low.
It’s a bit like buying a Ferrari V12 and removing 8 cylinders because it’s too powerful …

Small clarification in principle I do a small OC on the GTX 1080 TI that I did not do for this test.

Conclusion, this RX 6800 XT will go back to the seller, unless I find a buyer.

Hi. I have Intel i9-10850 with XFX Merc319 RX 6800, 32GB RAM, MSFS2020 on NVMe boot drive and HP G2 headset. Can you please share your VR FS settings, and also where/how do I launch OpenXR app? I installed it, but now cannot find it and wish to tweak the settings there. Thank you.

Hi SkyTreks - did you get a feedback? I am using nearly same hardware you do, but my CPU is a Ryzen7 5800x.

Even though I only have a CV1 and we can’t make comparisons with HP Reverb G2, could you tell me what your graphics settings are in MSFS and how much FPS you have with the TBM 930 when flying at above a big city like New York, Paris or London.
With my Ryzen 5 3600 + RX 6800 XT + 32Go Ram 3200 config.
With elevation settings I have 22.5 fps flying at 1000 FT
Yesterday I tried with the Piaggio P.149 which has no screen, above the big cities, I am at 45 FPS.
With the A320 at KJFK I am at 19.6 fps.

It looks like my Ryzen 5 3600 would clamp down on the RX 6800 XT

1 Like

Well, my comment was to you specifically. Just hoping you’d share your MSFS VR settings with me, including where you set things in OpenXR. My flights (the sim, not the plane, lol) are all crashing anywhere from 5 mins in to 30-45 mins after takeoff.

Why come and find info on the HP Reverb G2 in the Oculus category.
Rather, look in the WMR category
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/tag/wmr

My settings in Open XR are 85%. in FSMS2020 I have made screenshots you can seen enclosed

I have delete alle community add-ons and since that and with the latest AMD driver 21.2.2 I have just one crash and flow more than 1,5 hours in a row without crashing - this was the first time.

1 Like

What are community add-ons, and where would I find them to delete?

I’m a little shocked at your settings, especially volumetric clouds running on ultra! Conventional wisdom is that setting really taxes the GPU a lot. Will give them a try, though! Thank you!

If you download something from as addon (like from the website msfsaddons.org or Flightsim.to) then you install them into the community folder. I have found that it crashes the simulator more often. Only the VRMAP I still use, because it is a good tool for VFR flights.
When flying over densely areas (New York, London), I reduce sometimes the clouds to high. It is better with that. Try a cloudless flight with the settings :wink: I am curious how this is working for you!!!

Well, I went on file safari today for my Community folder and could not find anywhere. Googled and got a hit at FlightSim.com forums and registered there. Several people on a thread chimed in the directory chain to find the folder, but only one thought to remind the reader that all of it resides in a HIDDEN folder within the username folder, and then left instructions how to make it visible…

So after extracting my head from my office wall, I found the hidden folder and clicked through to finally locate the super secret COMMUNITY folder where all things MSFS reside. Only that folder is of course totally empty…

BUT… there’s a second folder there called “Official,” and that is where all of the many package files are stored for landscapes, aircraft, airports, lessons, etc.

Now, on my birthday, 2/16, when I sat down to enjoy a few birthday hours in VR flight heaven, I logged in to find the UK update waiting, but no method to postpone that for later. Had to either DL or pound sand. So I clicked on update and it just sat there, giving me some error msg that I maybe should rename my Community folder in case of such a problem. Only I had no idea how to find that folder, but it did give the option of where to download, so I created a new folder and called it “UPDATE 2-16” and pointed the update to that and it started the DL.

Only instead of 30 GB’s or so, it appeared to be downloading the entire contents of the original install! And now that I’ve found the hidden folder, I see that’s exactly what it did. So now I have TWO empty Community folders, and TWO folders named “Official.” I installed MSFS on 2/7, so I can see loads of duplicate files between the two folders, about a dozen updates added between 2/13 and 2/16, and then in the ‘new’ Official folder, everything from the original install PLUS the 2/16 update is in there, all dated 2/16.

My questions: 1. WHY do we install/download to the Community folder when MSFS seems to prefer this folder to remain empty and instead creates a folder and names it “Official” then copies updates into that while leaving “Community” folder (that it also creates) completely empty?

1. How do I get rid of the 96GB of apparently duplicate file packages? Should I copy the entire Official folder from 2/7 into the new one and tell Windows to replace duplicate files? Or vice versa?

2. Whoever developed this sim… I hate them with a passion.

Hi, i wanted to ask if WMR motion smoothing works good on AMD cards with reverb g2 when looking to the side at the scenery near ground. In my case, with oculus q2, nvidia 3060ti is perfectly smooth even with 24fps reprojected to 72, and amd 6800xt is stuttery and perceived as 5 fps, ONLY when ASW is activated.