Warning: Your graphics device has encountered a problem

I rolled back my drivers to the good old trusted 451.57 and the message went away. It still crahses after a flight but at least I can get a flight in.

All this can be visible in the FPS counter in Dev Mode. I think it’s pretty clear by now, and even during the SU10 beta a few weeks, that this message is usually not caused by a VRAM consumption issue. I wish folks would stop focusing on that, as it’s just going down a rabbit hole.

3 Likes

This is a generic error message which can say everything and nothing. They don’t know what happened IMHO, they just tested all graphics call function, and jump to an error function if one of them fail. Next step for them is to adapt the error message to know which exact function failed (E.g. by passing a parameter), and why it failed. At least it’s what I will do.
For now, they think it’s a driver or hardware problem, a problem from our side, until they find it’s a faulty code they did somewhere. At least this is my humble opinion :wink:
One day they will fix it, and people will forget it existed…

1 Like

[quote=“ncbartschi, post:540, topic:541301”]
All this can be visible in the FPS counter in Dev Mode.

1 Like

ROFL – Remember ?? like the BID DEAL about the “Press any key to Continue” when Loading MSFS !!

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: Hanger Graphics are Sketchy since SU10

Not wanting to be critical but you are right about DEV display looking bad. It looks like it was part of FSX graphics and does not shout confidence. It may be accurate even so?

This is huge mess, SU10 created a huge problem for me with CTD/Freeze with the World Map Fly button which I could only just fix with a OS re-install, and now the graphics device error when I have 64GB of RAM and 12GB of VRAM and never had an issue in the last two years. BAD…they need to give us the option not to upgrade if they are going to release disaster builds.

Just wanted to update my post here to note that this issue seems to have disappeared for me without changing anything in the sim.

You are overthinking this. The left number is the current amount of VRAM being used by MSFS, and the right number is the available VRAM for use by MSFS. The available VRAM may be lower than the actual hardware VRAM capacity, as you’ve noticed my 3090 is only showing 23 GB of VRAM available despite a 24 GB capacity. If the left number is greater than the right number (what’s available), the remaining required VRAM will be offloaded to system RAM causing significantly reduced performance due to increased latency penalty. This is why you can sometimes see current VRAM usage higher than available VRAM.

This is called Developer Mode for a reason and isn’t supposed to be visually polished for the end-user. It works fine - that’s what most people care about.

1 Like

Not likely. Usually when VRAM is exceeded, the performance drop is temporary while it’s exceeded. Performance will go back to normal once VRAM usage goes back down as scenery demand is constantly changing and objects get moved in and out of VRAM.

1 Like

Which is what I understood this Nvidia driver was going to solve, and was the whole point of the work they’ve been doing on it.

I don’t know why people are trying to use this Studio Driver to force DX12 usage. I haven’t seen a single Official thing to suggest that the Studio Driver fixed the issues that arose in the beta, people are just guessing that it works. It obviously doesn’t because that first DX12 performance was stellar and people don’t seem to be seeing that. I’m sure if it worked then we’d have been told so officially. It also begs the question as to why Nvidia delayed the GR release if the Studio version did the business?

Just wait for the Game Ready driver to release and try DX12 at that point, until then the performance in DX11 is vastly improved since SU9.

1 Like

Asobo also said the same thing, but can’t retrieve the post.

Again, why the delay then? The GRD was delayed before the 2H22 release so I don’t think that’s relevant. There are also too many if’s, but’s and opinions in that statement for me to take it as read to be honest.

I’ll have to take it on trust that Asobo have said this, because I’ve never seen anything to suggest that it’s the case. I don’t mean a mod here, I mean an official communication to say ‘the SD does exactly the same as the GRD’ and ‘we’ve included some magic that means the sim can detect an as yet unreleased driver and turn on a feature that, until then, isn’t available’.

If we’re all honest, that sounds a but far-fetched does it not? :man_shrugging:t3:

It wasn’t a Mod who said this. I’ll try again to retrieve the post, but believe me, they said it.

Hi mine did it once after the dreaded updates lol with 32gig ram memory and 8 gig 1070GTX there has been nothing like this message at all what so ever but after a restart and over like 100 hrs of use on and off the sim ive had no message so all good

May sound like a weird fix but before starting a flight disable multiplayer.

I still search. I found this one from a Mod, but it wasn’t this one I’m talking about :

I understand this is a developer mode and is not polished but it still is looking bad as an example of presentation and gives me less confidence than I would like.

I also had the same issue during the download of the 100 Gb after reinstallation, two times

now chatting with Nvidia support and following their advices after having decided to reinstall my windows 11 from scratch and in the process to reinstall MSFS and everything

you can see their recommendations at the end if this post , download still in progress, no new crash since a bit more than 1 hour…
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/issue-with-graphic-card/544519/76