Warning: Your graphics device has encountered a problem

I feel your pain. As you’ve reinstalled Windows I’ll just mention HAGs is on by default and maybe off can help. I’ll also advise against the 522.52 driver and maybe setting NVCP debug mode.

i managed a 2 hour flight yesterday out of the blue - HAGS on, dx12, latest drivers and msi afterburner used to max out power and temp limits.

tried combinations of HAGS on/off and dx11 on/off today and still getting ctd roughly after 15-30 mins on the ground (not bothering to fly just leaving it on and waiting for the CTD).

currently testing HAGS on, DX12 and power/temp limits maxed out to see if i can reproduce the stability from last night.

btw can anyone here help debug the crash reports we get from windows event viewer? maybe they have a clue? i have tons of them

UPDATE: HAGS ON, dx12, msi afterburner on - no ctd for the last 45 mins.

others can check if this solution works for them. i prefer dx11 but i guess beggars cant be choosers

Something else that you might try is reducing your display resolution to 1920x1080. Of course you need to match this resolution change in MSFS settings.

It isn’t very intuitive, but I have found that my 2K 120hz system actually runs noticeably smoother with the lower resolution settings and a 60hz refresh rate. ( I was even able to uncap the FPS everywhere with no VSYNC anywhere.) I get 99 % green FPS graphs in developer mode with it providing around 55-75 FPS depending on proximity to add-on airports. (RTX 3070)

I know, you have a nice high-resolution display, and you shouldn’t have to do this. I agree 100%.

But as they say, desperate times call for desperate measures until they (?) come up with a universal fix for this issue.

1 Like

Interesting, I’m going to have to try flying without afterburner on, see if I can get the message.

Letting MSFS run unchecked at 600fps in the menus is not the best idea so enable low power mode in General Options / Experimental. It does not affect performance while flying.

1 Like

I only get this message when flying over New York. CTD on 3 flights already…

I have lowered my render scaling and set my graphics to medium as well, even lower on the last crash.

AMD R7 3700x, Radeon 5700xt, 32GB ram. Samsung NVME 1tb drive.

I went back to Windows 10 and have been flying nonstop for 24hrs now with no issues.

2 Likes

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Receive the same error message upon booting the game. Cannot get into the game to change any settings

Are you using DX12?

Yes

Are you using DLSS?

Yes

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Using the new multi monitor experimental setting with 3 total monitors. I received the error message upon switching to DX12 from DX11 for the first time. Now I can’t get into the game to change back to DX11 under which I didn’t have any problems and never received this error message.

Update: After reading on this thread to try closing Afterburner I did that and can now boot into the sim without receiving the error message. I’m switching back to DX11 to see if that eliminates any future error messages/crashes.

Update 2: Closing Afterburner was the ticket for me!! I was able to get into the sim and change back to DX11 and haven’t experienced the error message since!

1 Like

The popup with the error message wrong graphics driver or overclocked graphics card must have been installed by the programmers of the FS, otherwise it would not open and cause the FS to close! So the programmers must also know at what point in time and what error feature this popup opens! Now I ask myself if I rarely had CTD’s before the updates and always had a smooth gameplay, why is Microsoft now forcing me to switch off the overclocking of my graphics card, which neither gets too hot nor is it overwhelmed by the SIM, or not to switch off the programs intended for this, such as Nvidia Afterburner more to use? For me, that stinks of commerce and nepotism to buy a more powerful card after the new cards appear, because it worked before.

Still getting this on every flight loading screen in DX11. Capped my menus frame rate at 60 so it shouldn’t be a resources issue

Crazy they have not fixed this yet

1 Like

I had this error on my new pc, because of unstable RAM configuration.

My new PC has a Ryzen 7600 cpu and I choose 6400 Kingston DDR5 memory. There where no problems with other games (Skyrim, Witcher3) only msfs was constantly crashing with this error message after 5-30 minutes.
Then I was running a stability test (y-cruncher) and saw my ram is producing errors. To solve it I had to activate the 2nd Ram profile in the Bios. Now everything is stable with a ram speed of 6000 instead of 6400.

1 Like

Same here. If I change to DX12 Beta, it seems to stop this error (for now)

Yep that’s how I stopped it too. Not a single instance of it in DX12. I get worse performance with DX12 though it seems heavier on my GPU so really hoping I can switch back to 11 sometime soon

1 Like

This is really weird for me it only works under DX11 and it only takes a few seconds under DX12 it pops up. Although I can easily overclock the graphics card even under DX11

I completely agree with your cynicism, however if they are trying to force newer cards on people then I think it will be the end of FS2020 as people will not upgrade purely for one game and also the cost involved is not feasible in this current crisis we are all in… I’m keeping my fingers crossed it is a bug in the code linked may to 40 series cards effecting 30 series cards…As it stand FS2020 is back on shelf until this is resolved, or I go back to X-Plane

2 Likes

What GPU are you using?

AMD Ryzen 5600X
EVGA RTX 2080
32 GB DDR4

Runnning on Medium/High at 1440p

No it’s not…I have a GTX1660 TI and it doesn’t work at all!!!

I’ve been running on a 3060 for the last 6 months and it’s been flawless on Ultra, now it makes no difference what settings I use Inc DX12, med, high, still crashes, usually before I even get to load the flight. Shocking from Asobo and Microsoft that they aren’t dealing with this.

1 Like

I’m another one who’s really peeved. I first got the error message “Your graphics device has encountered a problem…” as soon as I installed SU10. I get it during loading or on the Welcome page every single time. I haven’t flown for a couple of months. I had my fingers crossed todays update, 1.29.30.0, which stated “Several crashes have been fixed…” may have solved the graphics device error. But no such luck. MSFS still crashes before the Welcome screen. Come on Asobo. Would you please get this sorted!

Yes, I have tried most of the remedies posted on this and other forums. Nothing has worked. I’ve got nothing in the Community folder and no aircraft installed. My specs are;
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, i9-9900K @ 3.6GHz, 32 GB RAM.

Bruce R