We need a HOTFIX for CTDs - Sim Update 5

What the community needs to do moving forward is to demand a stable product… more so then graphics… or effects… or even complete working cockpits. A product that EVERYONE can open up… pick a plane, pick an airport… and go fly… without any errors, CTD’s, or strange anomalies and that 3rd party developers can rely on. THEN work on eye candy, functionalities and all the fun stuff. Make it a reliable simulator…. Then a great one!

5 Likes

FWIW, 4th time was lucky. When it works it’s great, but this random nonsense shouldn’t be happening really.

1 Like

Don’t forget the loading up and saying your graphics is set to “ultra” when infact they are on medium lol. You have to save it on low end and apply then back to ultra and apply before every flight.

This isn’t even on the known problems for asobo.

All these frame rate and performance increase, yeah because they’ve lowered the settings to medium but showing ultra thinking we wouldn’t notice :joy::joy::joy::thought_balloon:

1 Like

What is immensely frustrating is that I’ve just done 2 flights of about an hour in length with the JF Arrow and the Carenado Seneca and had no issues whatsoever, over-exposure (yes, it’s still a thing) aside.

The problems seem to be so random that I’m glad it’s not me trying to track them all down!

We dont need a 'hot’fix, we need a 'good’fix.
A goodifx can be, to remove this Xbox stuff, which broken the game.

4 Likes

I said this in another thread but I discovered an issue with having firefox and chrome open . maybe it’s just as I have a small 16GB of main memory but I proved a direct link . A few weeks ago starting any flight at a larger airport would CTD at some point after flight planning whilst the loading bar was progressing. I killed off my broswers (which had only hogged 2-3GB) but worked right away.

I am still seeing the odd CTD but managed something i’ve never found worked since the last hotfix. Re-loading a saved flight using the flybywire A320.

For me, the latest hotfix has improved the other CTD’s.

I also flew heathrow to schipol today without crash (havn’t been able to do that at all in the past).

I also moved my terrain LOD back from 3 to 5 and all seems well, lost a few (<10) FPS but I dont notice any CTD’s at the moment.

I have not flown my MSFS since update 5 and hotfix still CTD.

2 Likes

first ctd after update. Try selecting an approach using the small garmin in the cessna 172 non-G1000. Bug needs reported

I have fixed the CTD’s by removing the live traffic plugin. Now I am using a different one (IVAO Csl) and everything is fine.

I haven’t seen the inside of the game since update 5 so it’s not possible to disable any option inside the game if the game crash directly during the startup ^^

Microsoft Bug Simulator 2020… the best exeperience of my life in a simulator <3

I (was forced to) upgrade my sim which had never suffered a CTD in the past year. Now, I click on the icon, I get the introductory pages, and checking for updates bar, which leads to an immediate CTD. This happens 100% of the time. I moved my community folder and tried repair, then reset, and re-loaded a painful amount of software. No change whatsover. Any suggestions microsoft or anyone else? Thanks.

1 Like

Has everyone still having CTDs checked the event viewer logs for errors? That would be a good start do you can determine the exact cause of the CTDs.

I have had 3 ctds an checked all in event viewer

One ctd had no additional info, it occured when importing a pln exported by little navmap. I solved this by from that moment on use the garmins (1000 nxi and the 3000 mod). Waypoint looked correct in the export. I think it’s a known issue.

Two ctds with additional info which mentioned a bucket pointing to nvidia.

After the first one i updated the driver. No more ctd.
After the second one i had changes done reducing the gamma in nvidia control panel and modified the output to not push full rgb to my monitor to reduce the color banding. Putting it back to full rgb no more ctd.

So in my case one sim error and two user errors.

So, as a tip. When looking in the event viewer and do a deeper dive and find for example a reference to a video driver, and not overclocking etc… it’s not always the sim’s fault.
I have helped someone else on the forum who had a ctd, and a reference to nvidia driver. He/she had a video driver “optimizer” running. After stopping this optimizer no more ctd’s (he/she was still blaming the sim after solving though). I forgot the app’s name.

Also when you have a ctd, make sure you run as vanilla as possible. Write down changes made, do one thing at a time, stop all not essential software. Especially software that’s using 3d acceleration, from browsers (like chrome) to CAD. Disable anything that would cause a videocard not running “default”. If lucky, you find the possible culprit. If not, it’s highly possible it’s the sim.

P.S. I’m not saying the sim would not perform invalid actions, but you can only say for sure when running “clean”

For those who are new and experiencing CTDs, a lot of the reasons there are CTDs have to do with anything 3rd party… i.e. I just had 3 CTDs in a row when spawning cold/dark into DFW and lo and behold, I removed the livery I was using (AAL) and it stopped CTDs.

I am not saying this is the sole reason, but even things like liveries that aren’t properly updated in SU5 can cause CTDs.

1 Like

Not sure if i am in the right forum but my Fs2020 tells me there is mandatory update go to the microsoft store i do click updates but wont update any ideas?

What about image files which allow any form of arbitrary data stored within. Not talking about meta data, but for example segments like jpg supports. If a livery has something like this, it could make the sim crash.

I don’t know what image formats are supported, it’s just an example.

I guess I’m in the other camp. SU5 has been been good for me. (go figure) I see more of my CPU cores being used, and I can even up my video settings to mostly ultra/high. No stutters and a constant 40-50+ FPS (which is all I need - as long as it’s constant). Graphics look great, and the A320neo mod works so life is good. now just need time to play.

NOTE: I have VERY few mods installed, on purpose, as Asabo keeps changing everything. And no payware YET.

1 Like

Not sure – all good points. All I know is there are a few liveries on the 787 and 320 from flightsim.to that are CTD’ing my sim like crazy

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.