We need big solutions to big problems

We all love this Sim. We feel invested in this sim. If we didn’t, we wouldn’t be on this forum right now.

However, we all know that there are a lot of issues in this sim that is killing the immersion of many simmers. Many of these issues were either there from launch or were introduced through the various patches.

Since release in August, we have seen very little progress on these issues or on the sim as a whole. While the world updates are appreciated, it is the only thing that comes to mind in terms of “progress” since launch.

Patch after patch it seems that we are taking one step forward and two steps back. What Asobo was able to do in creating this sim is nothing but astounding. The concept is revolutionary. But since launch, we have seen little progress. If I am allowed to speculate, I would say the core group of developers, or a big chunk of them, have been moved to develop another game, and that we have a smaller group of developers working to maintain and update this sim. They are probably working on new Xbox Series X titles (by the way, good job Asobo on making Plague’s Tale, it is the only video game my wife and I enjoy together).

But… now we need big solutions to big problems. We need to see real progress on many of the big problems that exist in this sim. Give us a an actual fix to the blurry ground textures when flying high, or the pixelated clouds, or AP issues, or tree LOD, poor ATC, something of substance enough so that we can say we have truly taken a step forward since launch. But as of right now, I can’t really say that my sim is better today than it was at launch (again, not keeping in mind the world updates).

I know that you are also human. You are probably working from home and that makes it difficult to coordinate with others. Maybe you are burnt out from earlier this year trying to rush the release. I know that there are human factors at play. But I urge you to look at how you release patches because right now it’s not really working out.

29 Likes

I disagree with your comment in the most parts.

25 Likes

That’s what fixing bugs is, it is slow. Or no, it feels slow.
I bet if I dropped you in the August version of the sim your jaw would drop when you see how far we’ve come.

7 Likes

I disagree 100%.

21 Likes

Agree. Graphics was much better in August after the release. Default aircrafts still unable to fly properly. Patch after patch introduced more bugs than fixing.

10 Likes

I completely disagree with you. At first they focused on delivering quick updates every two weeks to fix the numerous small issues. As you can see from the current roadmap, now they’ve changed their strategy and they are releasing big monthly updates. And the devs said in the previous Q&A that from now on they will be focusing one one big thing for each update (sim update 2 airliners, sim update 3 approaches, avionics such as garmins etc.)

And I completely disagree with you with the “one step forward, two steps back claim”. Sure the first updates were pretty buggy, but recent updates (including this one) are much more polished and so far work flawlessly for me.

I think everyone can agree that the sim as of right now is in much better state than it was at launch (remember at launch even the wind was broken in most places).

14 Likes

It is a long slow road we travel with this sim. It probably is the most detailed and complicated sim ever produced.
In the four months since release there have been some great steps forward and yes I agree some backward ones as well but, it has been mostly onward and upward.
As you rightly say the big issue of 2020 has probably caused problems for the ASOBO team, so lets cut them some slack.
I do not envy their job and I applaud their efforts for giving us a product that has all of us simmers enjoying a new level of entertainment and stimulating this forum.

5 Likes

The pixelated clouds is what I’ll focus on. From the moment I first saw them, I thought it was a step backwards visually from 2D clouds we used to have with REX. 3D clouds are cool technologically but visually it just ain’t happening. The biggest part of it is lightning storms turn them into a squared up mess. I assumed when the rollback happened today it would fix that but alas, no. It’s like they rolled back because they didn’t even know what we were complaining about.

Having lived in Florida most of my life I know what lightning looks like too. It’s not a pulse of light it’s an instantaneous flash.

Rainbows look like they came off a box of Lucky Charms.

I’ve yet to see any substantial rainfall.

Thunderstorm clouds are BLACK, not very slightly grey. Another problem that’s identical to how they operated in FSX. How much porting when on here anyway?

Artistic license if fine, but not so much when your talking about what is supposed to be a realistic simulation. We had live weather and multiplayer (which also doesn’t seem to be working properly at the moment) in FSX 14 years ago. Most of this stuff is not cutting edge technology. It’s time to step up your game here Asobo.

2 Likes

I would say the exact opposite. A healthy mix of 10 steps forward, 2 steps back. And that’s okay.

0 evidence, 0 reliability of this claim.

This patch is probably the best they’ve done yet. So much fixes, so much progress, but your obsessions with viewing tangible progress blind you to this. I suggest you take a break from the sim, and come back when they have made enough tangible progress for your satisfaction.

14 Likes

This is too dramatic! Asobo has been doing a good job and the patch is on the right direction.

9 Likes

I completely agree, sorry guys but every time an update comes out I cringe hard and I say to myself is this thing going to fly?? :joy::joy:I fly the A320 exclusively, for the past three weeks it’s been unflyable. The auto pilot doesn’t work, the nav systems don’t work, it’s a mess. But we are slowly and painfully getting there.

5 Likes

you guys should know what pain is, it aint MSFS 2020

7 Likes

I agree 100% and could not have said it better …

3 Likes

I hope this community learns a lesson then. We should never ever ask for a revert. The way is forward.

Self fixable. GPU settings.

Repairs made in today’s update. (can’t say everything, haven’t tested)

Self fixable. Mod also available that does the same.

OK, we’ll give you that one. But also fixes in this update.

I will back you up when you say that…

but, I think, in fairness there have been a lot of adjustments, fixes, enhancements, etc. made that are not readily visible. If you look at the update notes since release, the number of items is significant. Things like the blurry ground textures are subjective and not an issue for everyone. I, for one, have not really noticed. I have thousands of hours looking out cockpit windows and find I can quite happily navigate visually from 1,000ft or 20,000ft. But that is only my opinion and I am sure it bothers some people as much as it does you.

When I go through the posts, however, I think the priorities the fix/repair team are focusing on, like stability and improved hardware support, strange download failures and CTD errors. I know there are likely different teams for different aspects, the visuals guys are probably up to their necks working on the next world update, rather than polishing the stuff already out (and working the way THEY wanted it to). Pretty sure there will be adjustments to come but not everyone’s priorities are going to align, so they just stay true to the roadmap.

Nicely put together post and I am sure many will agree with you.
Thanks for taking the time.

and Merry Christmas.

2 Likes

This topic was already posted few time, there is post with vote…follow web site feedback snapshot for time frame, lod, atc, etc… Clouds pixel rendering was explained on latest Q@A “https://www.flightsimulator.com/december-17th-2020-development-update/

Pixelated clouds fixable with gpu settings? I’m extremely skeptical but I’ll bite. What are you referring to?

1 Like

Post processing in the USERCFG file and in your GPU control panel.
I had never encountered what most were complaining about and I am running a midgrade i5/2060 system. Was playing around to to improve performance around the big airports one afternoon and all of a sudden my clouds looked like ■■■■.
Kicked myself soundly in the behind for breaking my first rule of tweaking. “One THING and test”.
I had not only made wholesale LOD, scaling and post processing changes, I had also updated my driver. All at once.
Couple hours later I was back where I had started in terms of fps/ smoothness/ texture LOD but my clouds still looked terrible. “One THING and test” a couple times and POOF (pun intended) back to fluffy clouds as far as the eye could see.
SHARPNESS settings was the key for me.

Give it a break, this has been the best update to date, you folk are really getting annoying now with your constant moaning… its a game get over it…

Well done ASobo/MS

15 Likes

After reading post after post on how horrible the A320 is I flew it from GCLP to EDDM … works just fine even in the vanilla version without any mods which I do not have for it since I rarely fly anything that doesn’t have a prop or 4.

Is it perfect…nope. But I did not expect a default aircraft to replicate a Level-D sim either. Maybe the forum should charge 1$ for every time someone writes this or that is unflyable and donate to a charity :smiley:

As for the OP…a really long post full of falsehoods and self indulgence.
The sim is getting better and better…and it will take some more time to iron out some of the issues.
Am I 100% happy with the sim as it is right now? No not quite. But this whining is really getting on my nerves.

8 Likes