We need gloves

I’ve managed to wrangle some good performance and with my HOTAS setup, lack of gloves right now isn’t a massive issue for me. However incase Asobo are listening I certainly support both initiatives! :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Yes in any case. The gloves can never replace the joystick. But they can make the interaction with the glass cockpit or the buttons much more imersive. It would be cool to see the hand around the stick. You could also combine the “View Reset” with the spacebar directly with the joystick. You put your hand around the joystick, take the correct position and press spacebar.

I had used the leap hand interaction in the last fs, but no mention of it in the forums, I had good success with it, and I think it would be stellar with the new flight sim.

Here is an interview on german with the “head of Flight Simulator” Jörg Neuman:

You can translate it witrh deepl.com

Flight Simulator 2020 VR: Handtracking ist ein Langzeit-Ziel (mixed.de)

PlayStation / Sony have glove prototype for vr its a shame because ps5 could run this sim with bells on. would love so see one day

Quest 2 doesn’t even need gloves. It’s able to track your hands and you can interact and control menus by pinching your fingers. Actually works pretty well too and I am sure something like this could be implemented to operate switches and knobs. Wish I could get better performance in VR but idk I don’t like having to turn the quality almost all the way down to get good performance.

1 Like

Yeah i saw it, but have to wear/hold the big controllers. So on the left hand you have the controller and with the right hand you control the joystick i guess. But if there is a throttle stick also, then it´s maybe annoying with a clunky controller on your hand. So i think they need to make very thin and accurate gloves :slight_smile: I use Reverb G1, the controllers sucks. i don´t like them at all, and luckely we can use the MSFS with the mouse and memorized keyboard control…:smiley: tricky sometimes, but it works ok!

1 Like

Now Asobo needs to make it work intuitive in the sim.

The price is fair enough:

It’s on Asobo to implement it cool and smart.

We don’t need the gloves to see the mousepointer in the vr world. To use / implement all 10 fingers, should be a tough work. The hardware joystick is a must. Pedals and throttle also. With 10 fingers you can control intuitive the knobs, switches and the glascockpit. Eventually you can scratch your head also in vr if your lost on the taxiways in Atlanta KATL :joy:

@udidwht nice video! I never thought of doing a wheelie with the TBM :rofl:

I’m wondering about Leap Motion and FS2020 as well.

Quest 2 + Leap Motion (no glove/s required) = Done. Go fly.

1 Like

i dont understand why the headset shouldnt be able to track your hands in VR, since they already have cameras for head tracking.

This is a good point. I don’t have any exact answer but just thinking about this:

• Headset cameras are wide angle and low res for Inside-Out tracking purposes, and might even be filtering visible light and/or non-visible light

• Leap Motion cameras might be specifically calibrated for tracking hands and this task only (focal, aperture, resolution, etc…)

• Leap Motion AI software analyzing the images is finely tuned based on years of experience doing just this.

Having said this, there are solution to use the Index Color Cameras for hand tracking and this is promising. Not perfect yet, but promising.

I also think that tracking the fingers would be difficult with the integrated cameras. The fingers permanently overlap in the wildest figures and formations. The heel of the hand overlaps this finger and/or that finger. An ultra-thin glove would be 100% accurate in terms of the positioning of the finger and the hand.

If cameras were used for tracking, there would have to be several of them in order to be able to see the exact positions, and software would detect and correct overlapping finger positions. This system would again require the installation of cameras in the room or office desk and would be relatively inflexible. But I am not a programmer and am only guessing at all this. Such a solution: ultra-thin mesh gloves (heat, no thanks) combined with joystick, throttle, pedals, would be awesome.

But we are simply patient.

There’s bound to be something good at some point. We are at the beginning of VR

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I think we probably don’t need gloves to track all 10 fingers. I don’t think I have ever used my left hand to do anything in the cockpit.

On my right hand, I think the index finger could do 99% of the work, flipping switches, spinning knobs, pulling or pushing levers, etc. I would not try and use the yoke in VR, I am perfectly happy with my hardware joystick for that, and I keep the yoke hidden so I can see past it. I don’t need to grasp throttles in the VR world when I have a physical throttle. Buttons on the joystick can activate functions without me taking my eyes off the runway on landing, which is better than a VR glove, and actually what real world pilots have on their yoke.

Maybe someone will figure out a simple way to make an index finger mimic the mouse pointer? That would not solve all problems but would be a great start. It would be a huge help to not have to go find the mouse and deal with it to flip a switch!

Personaly of course: With my right hand i use the HARDWARE joystick, with my left hand i use nearly all switches on the Joystick. I also have a HARDWARE throttle and Rudders. With my left hand in nearly future i would like to switch all the knobs in the cockpit with my “fingers”, cause now, i push on the keyboard with the headset on. I have game Keyboard i feel the spaces between the knobs and know where i´m pushing. But for the future we need tracking system or ultra thin gloves and also a useful integration between the Win Desktop and the Flightsimn in VR Mode! It´s very anyong to put out the VR Headset and go into Desktop to switch something on Discord/ Twitch/ Opera and so on, then switch back and so on…that´s also a problem! I’m sticking with it :slight_smile: WE NEED GLOVES, To make the immersion just perfect! Of course with Hardware Joystick, Throttle and Rudders. I don´t want to grab in to the air to immitate a joystick, this is shurely horribel…

I’ve posted this a few days ago:

I’ve found traces of voice recognition bits in the binaries… Maybe just experimental implementation left over, maybe actual future version bits, I don’t know.

Same for VR: there is no controller support yet, but there are already bits telling me they are experimenting with controlling the switches and knobs via a laser pointer or by direct contact. The latest update also includes the 3D model for hands:

2 Likes

When I said I don’t use my left hand, I meant in the VR world. In the real world I do use my left hand to manage the throttle built into the joystick while I navigate with my right hand.

The most important buttons are on the stick itself - gear, autopilot, spoilers… other buttons are lower on the joystick and I press them with my left hand or operate them in the VR world. Flaps is a good example of something I could do either place. Parking brakes are another. Some functions however need to be activated from the joystick so I don’t need to, for example, engage/disengage the autopilot in VR.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.