We need [more] official help with CTD problems

I had a couple more CDTs today too. Strange that 80% of the CDTs I’ve had in 11 months of using MSFS have been in the past two days.

I’m in the mood for a rant: Reading through what players/simmers go through to solve issues with this program is incredible. Imagine buying a new vehicle, home appliance or other product and the customers have to try to figure out why the product doesn’t work. Then, when enough customers complain about a problem, the manufacturer may throw out a couple more fixes while countless others await their attention.

2 Likes

who use xmp memory watch io and sa voltages in bios, you can found info about undervolt in internet, same as cpu, in my case i had problem after 3 years with it, untill undervolt sa and io voltages, and this problem wasn’t about just ctd, this was very hardcore black monitor problem without possibility to open bios with reassemble ram inside slots one by one with check all sticks first one then two of them then three then for, and only after that i could open bios, first symptom it works only without xmp, second after start xmp again rig was dead till ram was removed then set sticks back, and then i undervolted sa and io, and then everything back ok… all you buy was tested maximum mounth, and only tested exemplares, any other tested much less time, so it is possible something will wrong after year - two - three… so if you can found maximum info about your components and use only so volts as your system really need for cpu, and specially for memory controller in there, you can found really overkill voltages for cpu and sa/io(with xmp enabled) and this is can harm system or kick it very strong as was with mine

Thanks for the tipp, but my technical english
is not that good. Do you mean as “end of the story” we probably have to lower the voltage of CPU and GPU?

Regards,

Scotty

Clearly those aspects can be an issue … but IMHO the increase in CTD events comes form the software and not from people having more unstable hardware.

I never touched any of the default settings (voltage, freq. etc.) on my machine … and since SU5 the CTD events increased very noticeably for me.

1 Like

Yes, but a lot of people, who use RTX 3000 video cards, have problems with black screens. If these could be eliminated by decreasing or increasing the voltage, that would be great.

I agree, it “would” be great … but still a software bug seems more likely to me, especially if it affects many (all?) people; as you say.

“We”, for example, on the “AMD Vega” side suffer since SU5 from other bugs … and this clearly is not hardware related … but more hardware-driver-sim related.

In some cases it can be hardware issue, but if I can run any game on max settings with high fps without any issues, I think I can say that this is a software issue. I can play high CPU load racing sims without any issues (Assetto Corsa with a lot of AI opponents), I can play ray tracing games without any issues (Control, CP2077). I’ve tried monitoring every hardware component and none of them had any outstanding values. Even I can run CPU, RAM and GPU stress tests at the same time, so my PSU is capable of keeping my system up (650W PSU for about 400W power consumption from the socket). Even though I can’t fly constantly since SU5.

Please let us to downgrade/roll back to the previous non-crashing state.

We can’t. Diagnosis is pretty much impossible. You can try all the sorts of things above but beyond that there’s nothing much anyone can do. The “advanced” install is really just more of the same. About the only thing you can do is look for some commonality in the crashes.

Or install FSX, X-Plane, P3D or Flightgear and wait, or put up with it.

Have you tried booting your PC in a ‘clean boot state’ prior to running sim?
I don’t simply means closing tasks down when the system boots, but disabling them from loadin in the first place?

Secondly, have you research potential issues with NTDLL.DLL, and/or investigated how to replace it to ensure it is not to blame?

you have nothing to be sorry, is my english terrible, you know it:) , i doesn’t talking about gpu voltage, only about cpu, it can be and some time have to become just a bit lower, than bios set in auto, but this is not so important as two another voltage sa and io, both set too high values in some system if memory use xmp, so better than read my round dance of drunk letters… just open google “xmp” "sa " “io” voltage

Frustrated as hell and trying a clean install for 20th time. I can relate to author of this post. HAve tried everything from clean installing windows multiple times. Since thursday i could do flights, multiple ones without crashing to desktop… FINALLY!! so i downloaded a couple of SU5 tested liveries. and crashes appeared again. Removed liveries and crashes remain. Now reinstalling a fresh copy of sim! had a wonderful three days… o well…

1 Like

I never had CTDs until now. Always ran fine on ultra settings. Now the sim crashes all the time. Waste of time and a lot of money. Assobroken.

2 Likes

i live ok with ctd in the sim, so i don’t much care last time and don’t much comment about it, but todays is too heavy, and i think after post before about codecs and my own experience, many problems with ctd in the any of soft lie in software conflict, where same memory part try to work with different conflicted objects, so yes, asobo programmers must be have to change kernel politic to prevent any libraries injecting but the need for normal function + msfs addons, for minimize any conflict situation, we all have some software, what can be or can not be the problem, from drivers to software, from files manager to 3d party firewall, whatever it is is have to be tested by asobo, not everything of course but most popular of them, but i think better way is absolutely isolationism, where flightsimulator kernel will untouchable from any of unnecessary objects(dll,scx,fff,xxx) from another soft(except addons and super popular)

Hi,

have the same problem. At my end its the Flightsimulator.exe that causes the CTD.

Can not finish any flight. After one hour smooth flight, the sim stucks short and BÄNG-CTD.

Happens with and without mods!

Before WU6 everthing was stable :frowning:

1 Like

Yes, I’ve always launched MSFS2020 from a clean boot. I dont have a bunch of unnecessary programs running.

I found a Command prompt command to replace the dll file for windows 7, but it doesnt seem to work for Windows 10. Still working on this one…

1 Like

If you have Capture One installed on your PC, the potential solution is here:

Ntdll is just handling the crash, as the Sim is reading an area of memory that’s null. I had a look in the debugger lats night.

So in short ntdll is the thing saving your computer from a bsod, rather than the cause of the Sim error

2 Likes

Reading many of the comments all across the various forums, there are many who have been affected since WU5. Simmers have CTD’s just loading FS2020 before the main menu page!

People seem to find them at fault and comment on the “affected ones” as whiners or “making an issue” when so many are having no issues. Some even mention that these “whiners” are less than 1% of the people who use FS2020.But when you read the number of people having the CTD’s and the details of people who have tried whatever was possible to fix the issues listening to the advice from the forums…it is more than 1%. It’s a lot more!

All these customers have also paid the same to get FS2020 and the various Add ons from the FS2020 Market, which worked fine till Update 5. Is it their fault, that an update has suddenly left them grounded? Yes, you could point the finger if these issues were present from “day one”, but that isn’t the case here. All was well, till one fine day on 27th July when the plug got pulled for many of us “whiners” and there was nowhere to go to, but try and find some support in the forums. There was no “whining” before Update 5, as their PC’s were all functioning well, and then suddenly some PC’s decided to crash! The same PC’s however are running all other games and modules without any problem…Does this even sound correct?

There is a problem, but it’s being ignored and many are left “high & dry”. Many of these people were/are die hard simmers. This is not against anyone. This is not against the folks who are experiencing “no” issues…it’s just very unfortunate for the ones who are abandoned without a hope…experimenting to get the program fixed on their own, with or without any knowledge in software / hardware issues.

Like I mentioned in another forum…when the Titanic sank, the people who jumped into the water made a lot of noise, which slowly went silent as no help came. I hope that is not what happens to us “whiners”.

8 Likes

Very well put. Had only to add that this very problem is also rampant on Xbox. So it’s a cross platform issue. Being a die hard simmer myself since 1996 I’m just sad that this sim has so many issues (the most unbelievable one is that you can’t make flights longer than ~ 2 hrs or the sim crashes). Even tho FS2004 is well outdated by now I’ve still many fond memories of this sim because I could just fly for hours on end without a single crash/freeze/issue and without having to browse forums and help pages to be able to find workarounds for so many aspects of the sim. And I didn’t have problems with ATC at all (Azure servers down, silly climb or descent commands etc.)

Yes, I can fly without a single crash with FS2020 too, in fact I’ve never had any crash since weeks… but in order to have it that way I have to turn off AI traffic, don’t use add ons and of course fly no more than 2 hours. In the end I don’t care if the landscape is photorealistic or not when the sim isn’t stable enough to show it to me for as many hours I want to fly. Honestly, I would take the graphics of FS9 (with the appropriate add ons) any day if in turn I could fly as long as I want to without a CTD.

It’s just sad… :pensive:

4 Likes

@Hellas2020 I think you are making a valid point here- in your post above.

I don’t know if you watched the Dev Q&A stream yesterday (Some details here)

One of the issues that was mentioned in that stream was the various ctd that some are experiencing and how MS/ Asobo are trying to remedy this. It was mentioned that filing tickets on Zendesk was a useful thing for them as they claim to be working hard to try and rectify as many of these ctd as possible. They did say that fixing ctd is one of their (or even the top) main priorities.

It may help, in such a zendesk ticket, to provide as much relevant information as possible and also make it clear that you hope such information makes its way to the developers as they try to resolve the issue.

5 Likes