Weather like pre su7 before 8 AM UK time, photos and videos provided!2

No problem, i think we all want the weather to be as real as it gets :slight_smile: I know i’ve seen better/more realistic than we have now. I also know i didn’t have those sudden changes in clouds pre su7. I also know they didn’t mention su7 should have more noticable switches in weather/clouds even that they implemented METAR. They also said the weather should be improved in su7 but i couldn’t see that improvement at all.

6 Likes

It would be absolutely fantastic to see “Bug Logged” against this and we can finally begin to hope we are on the first steps to getting our pre-su7 clouds back.

What we’ve seen here is that the sim is perfectly capable of depicting the clouds in the same was as it did before. What we now need to know is whether is is intentionally being told to “simplify” the cloud depictions at the time allocated, or whether it really is a bug.

I hope it’s a bug, I’ve not really flown in the sim since SU7 simply because I really liked flying in “mundane” overcast kind of weather that was depicted very close to reality. I soon got bored of the constant and predictable puffy cumulus and apocalyptic CBs that are all we get now.

If Hester can get behind us on this it will feel like all my Christmas have come early!

11 Likes

I think it also would be a perfect way to celebrate msfs 40th anniversary with an amazing weather engine as we know we had.

11 Likes

Couldn’t think of a better gift! I don’t care less about Top Gun, Spruce goose, Reno races or any of that stuff, haven’t even downloaded it. Just want to fly in realistic looking skies like we had before! Thanks for all your effort on this topic!

9 Likes

That were the main thing that made me buy this sim. The weather also behaved like real weather. It were a fluid without hard transitions. Now when i see a cloudfront it can be changed into some puffy clouds anytime.

I’m not completely sure it’s a bug. Maybe thats how it must be now with more frequent Meteoblue updates and METAR imolemented. I really hope it is a bug. If it stays like this switching between different rendering i will soon stop using it. I’m a bit tired of that the sim i like how it is, is suddenly changed into something completely different. Also really hard to report issues when nobody knows for sure how the weather engine works. Not even the devs knows for sure it sounds like in latest q&a.

4 Likes

As Hester40MT requested in a post above, if more users could please confirm the same issue than described in the 1st post it would be really helpful to escalate this thread to devs asap. Unfortunately I am not home so I cannot test myself. Also I hope this thread will get as many votes than Sim now seems incapable of rendering overcast using live weather &
METAR keeps disrupting the weather/ bugged weather/Cumulus/CB clouds only/no medium to high cloud coverage since those issues could have the same root cause.

3 Likes

I’m constantly at work during those “shifting” hours, but I’ll be able to test it tomorrow morning.
I’m gonna report back with any kind of findings.

5 Likes

Make sure to test some time before 07:00Z.

Today the change happened at 06:56z.

The change were not that massive today but where i tested it were not that much clouds. I’m not at the computer now, will upload a small clip of the change. I had a live web camera beside the phootage and clouds were really accurate but much too transparent compared to the real clouds.

Hope you can confirm the strange switch as well.

2 Likes

can you or any user seen it happen put down the numbers of when this change is happening, from what i understand it’s happening at around 0100z and 0700z?

All of this its because people with no real life flying experience though that METAR is the correct weather depiction and wrongly suggested to Asobo to somehow integrate Metars into global weather. This created a over complicated system with a lot of problems and a lot of complaints. That is conceptually wrong. We should have it the other way around. Keep the global weather and create a way for the sim to “read” a metar for that specific airport position from the simulator weather. Yes, that won’t match the real METAR 1-1 but that’s also how it is in real life (except temperature and pressure, but even if we had 1hPa differences and a couple of degrees off the real temperature, honestly what difference would it make to your simulator experience?).
This is an amazing community but honestly some ideas should be analyzed by some real pilots before consideration by Asobo.

11 Likes

So true! When the sim got released i made it clear to me that the weather in the sim was the real weather in the sim. I could observe it as i can with the real weather. I also knew that simulated weather were simulated with observations as a starting point for the weather that dynamically formed around me in the sim.

I can still observe the weather but now i observe unatural things thats not occure in the real weather. That make the weather so much more unrealistic now than what i had pre su7.

But i feel our opinion doesn’t matter. METAR is the thing in simulators and will always be. We that wanted something new and different and thinking more outside of the box are now forced to use the new METAR system anyway. Pre this METAR thing we could choose what we wanted to use with those 3rd party addons around.

4 Likes

Alright. It’s 0600Z at LKMT (OSR, Ostrava airport) (06 UTC, the same thing) and the shift happened like 5 minutes after I’ve started the sim.

Is it possible it has nothing to do with the time, but it just starts crunching some “new” data as soon as you launch the sim?

Just look at the clouds I started with. Beautiful stratiform clouds with precip either falling down to the surface or evaporating before it does so (basically the first time I’ve seen virga in the sim):

Then it shifted to the same old puffy cumuliform nonsense :confused:

EDIT: Now that I look at the time stamps, the shift seemed to happen after 2 minutes in the sim.

12 Likes

Isn’t that about the time the sim takes to process METAR? It seems the “blending” only works one way, I.e. towards diluting all clouds.

Feels like it’s something wrong with the algorithms as someone said earlier. To me it feels like it’s being forced to be in that comulus state or something. As soon as we start looking at the amazing sky it shifts into the generic state. I would call this as a bug. I hope it’s not intended to work like this.

1 Like

I’ve restarted my PC, fired up the sim again and it stays the same - cumuliform clouds instead of stratiform like it was when I first started it up.

Most definitely a bug. The sim is still able to produce beautiful true-to-life looking clouds. But then something happens that makes it all go to waste. Perhaps like @ConsularBuckle4 says, once the Meteoblue is done with integrating the METARs, it then injects the blended data which look very, very bad.

4 Likes

Yes that may be it. Then i would say get rid of the METAR blending of clouds.

1 Like

This is how it looks IRL:

Now compare it to my first firing up of the sim:

That’s VERY close if you ask me.

Not this:

13 Likes

Yeah really close. I hope they now can escalate this issue to the devs. Maybe more needs to confirm this?

2 Likes

Yup. At this point I’d really completely ditch the METARs and only leave them for winds, temps and QNH.
They could also try injecting the visibility data from Meteoblue, but I doubt they have enough quality data for it to look good. The problem with snow still persists and I can’t imagine how the sim would look like with visibility data that poor.

3 Likes

Well, i’ve seen meteoblue fog before that switch and it looks amazing compared to the METAR fog. I search for a METAR with fog and then check on Meteoblue if it matches. If it matches i can see Meteoblue fog in the sim but only when that switch has not happened.

2 Likes