Weather ... or not

It’s infuriating. Loaded a flight with Live Weather yesterday while my area was coated in fog. FS: no fog at all, anywhere. Tried again an hour later: nothing.

Today is full load cover. Load Live Weather flight in FS and … fog! New flight: fog persists.

Restart the computer, load fresh flight: great, we have plausible live weather.

Load new flight: sunny skies.

How difficult can it possibly be to get this right? Half a dozen weather injector-addons out there get it right 99% of the time.

• I will say that when FS gets the weather right the cloud placement and presentation is unlike anything else I have ever seen in a simulator. Just wish they’d hit the mark more often. My wind is almost always wrong (i.t.o. direction)
3 Likes

Something simular happened to me.
Departed from EHTE in a C172 skyhawk with live weather on.
Very low visabilty at groundlevel but I thought that the Garmin would help me to climb out of the clouds at some point.
Heading 180, alt set to 7000ft and vs 200ft/minute.
It suprized me that even at 7.000 ft I was still in the fog ?
Ok, set alt to 10.000 ft.
Predictable… the higher I climbed the lower my speed.
Still no blue sky, so I set the alt to 15.000 ft, knowing that I would pass out IRL but what the heck…
Icing became visible on the windscreens and from the outside, also the engine cowling.
Speed dropped and dropped, stallwarning buzzer began to sing and a few minutes later, the plane fell out of the sky. Dropping the nose to gain speed was simply useless.
Long story short: This was a bad idea… And the live weather seems to have a bit of a bug.
Earlier this morning I flew around a bit from EHTE but at only 600 ft so I was more or less able to see the ground. VFR would not have been allowed I think.
Long story short: This was a bad idea… And the live weather seems to have a bit of a bug.
There’s always room for improvement so to speak but overall I’m happy with FS2020.