Weird Screen Flash in VR

I’ve noticed it too, but given my ancient system (i5-3570K, 1070 and oculus cv1) it’s the least of my worries for now. I’m just amazed I can get anything off the ground at all

Oculus software updated as well.
This update broke it even more than it already was before for Oculus users.
So my detective instinct tells me that it might be an Oculus issue more than a FS issue. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes… I think you’re right. Occasional flashes have always been an issue but they’ve got considerably worse following the Oculus update that occurred for me this evening. Had flown a couple of flights following World Update 3 but prior to the Oculus update. Definitely has become very much worse following the latter. Almost unusable. Rift S, RTX 2070 SUPER, 461.40, i9-9900K, 32GB.

STOP PRESS: Opting out of Oculus public beta fixes VR flashing issue. Deselect public beta in Oculus settings menu and allow stable software drivers to download and install. For me this fixed VR image flashing completely using Rift S. Good luck!

1 Like

Then, since Xplane works as expected, Asobo need to investigate what needs to change to support it.

Take this with a grain of salt because it makes no sense to me. In VR I upped the Rendering Scale to 120% and most of the flashing went away.
The more I lowered it below 100% the more flashing I got.
Might work for now…might not.

3 Likes

I have just realised that the flashing is the top wing of the aircraft briefly appearing as the flash. Was flying the Cessna 172, looking out the right window and saw the outline of the wing and the red fuel cap.

This is the first time I have been able to make out the image, but happened repeatedly. I think the latest Oculus download to version Oculus app version 26.0.0.39.502 slowed down the flash rate allowing me to see the wing image.

Took the Quest 2 off but quickly placed a finger over the central sensor to keep VR alive.

I could see the same flashing on the twin images on the PC monitor. So I did Ctrl +Tab to come out of VR mode, no flashing occurred.

Ctrl + Tab again and flashing commenced.

I have raised a bug report to Microsoft Flight Simulator Support. Lets see if they confirm an MSFS bug.

A thought, whilst there is a suggestion that the Oculus app is at fault do other not think we would see flashing when using the Quest 2 to view the PC desktop in none gaming mode whilst hard wire linked?

I just tested going back to the non beta oculus version. I can conferm that this reduces the amount of issues for me significantly on my Rift S. Only had 1 flicker so far, from 1 every 10 seconds or so at the beta version.
I was on beta only for the black block issue with fs but that is no longer present in the stable version anyway.

Thank you so much!

After the latest Oculus beta update last night (not that I linked it to the issues until reading your post), the flickering was really bad, literally happening every few seconds. I’ve deselected the beta option and let Oculus ‘update’ again, and it’s miles better. Still get the occasional flicker, but nowhere near as bad as it was.

I still think FS needs some major optimisation for VR though. I’m running a Ryzen 5800X, 3080FE and 32GB of RAM, and still struggle with performance, especially over built up areas.

1 Like

Yes, I can now report that on opting out of the beta I now have the VR experience I had previously. Live is good again.

1 Like

My only concern is that whatever’s in the Oculus beta version that’s causing these issues will soon filter down to the stable version. Hopefully folks have reported them to Oculus. I might do so myself actually, to be on the safe side.

1 Like

This isue has been present all the time for me, though it has been alot less, maybe with a frequency of 10 mins between the flashes, which has benn bearable.
Updating to the latest Ovulus version (beta made this alo worse, maybe for each 10-20 sec, which is unbearable.
I uninstalled the Oculus app and reinstalled without opting for Betas, and now I´m back with alot fewer flashes.
Ech time I get the flash, the mouse cursor restes, meaning that when I´m about to click on a switch, button i.e and the flashing happens, then the mouser curso rests to a different position.

I think it is some kind of issue with the Oculs app combined with something in MSFS2020 that akes this happen, so Oculus and Asobo needs to work on this together.

3 Likes

Having the same issue. I7 8700 1080t1 32 gigs ram 2TB SATA. No CTD but really annoying. Worse since last update a couple of days ago.

Same mouse movement issue! Still running Oculus in Beta. May try your workaround.

1 Like

me too…same problem - so so frustrating

Same problem!

Hi,
Since the UK update I am having the same issue, flasing every 10 secendonds or so.

I did not have this before, its terrible.
I got similar specs too, I also run a 3090 and RiftS,
Surely the hardware is not the issue, since I did not have this last week.

Any solution?

Check higher in the thread for the solution. I’ve left the solution along with others.

Solution:

As sombody mentioned above, get out of Oculus Beta version within Oculus settings, then it works again.

1 Like

Same problem here its every 10 seconds now…Sorry ya software out Oculus!!!

I’m sure they’re aware anyway, but I’ve filed a bug report for this with Oculus as don’t want this dog’s dinner of a beta being released as a ‘stable’ version!