What 3rd party aircrafts did you get and how do you rate them?

It’s like this… I have a successful medical practice. (Don’t bother looking me up as I have taken enough privacy measures) I am an oncology doctor by specialty. Does the amount of money you make alleviate the pain you deal with when most of your patients die? Is there anything that can make you more “at ease” when you have the time? For me, it is that thing. Money never bought anyone happiness. This may be a little too much information, but I was dealing with pretty severe depression prior to MSFS coming out. Having a wife and two kids (one of which is not even 2 years old), THIS hobby provides me with the stress relief I need. Sure, it may cost a few thousand, but… in my case, how does that correlate with my level of being functional?

10 Likes

No, it’s totally fair mate. I’m not in the exact same boat but in quite a similar one. Granted my job doesn’t involve human life (I’m a software developer) but I also found escapism in different (eventually expensive) things. Playing cards was one - started out with one deck, then another and fast forward a year and a half and I had more than 300 decks. Most would ask - what’s the point, but for me it was something to keep my interest at times when I had complete apathy to everything around me.

I had just been fired on the spot from my job where I was well respected and had amazing colleagues until then and I just didn’t want to wake up in the morning or fall asleep in the evening if that makes sense. Then I spent around 8 hours every day playing Destiny 2 and then spent several hundred in DCS. I guess I could feel remorse for what I did or how I wasted my time but what would I have done otherwise - saved the world? Done something that people would remember me for? Of course not so might as well live for myself. Money comes and goes and what I spent back then doesn’t even matter now.

2 Likes

@RemisLT
The JustFlight Arrow is a far superior aircraft compared to the Carenado model and well worth the money.
Also, there is no serial number for your purchase and you simply run the installer and that is it. Plus you can simply drag the install folder in or out of the community folder as you wish to make the aircraft available or not. Also, JustFlight emails you when a newer version is available. I’ve been very happy with JustFlight.

3 Likes

I love the C182T. Yes, the engine noise is annoying, until you realize it has a constant speed prop. Once you back it off to less than 90% RPM it won’t sound like an angry beehive anymore. Otherwise, it’s a C172 that can actually climb.

Apart from that I have:

Beechcraft 99… It flies OK, but seems to have a few bugs in the engine quadrant and autopilot. Will probably be OK after a patch or two.

Bombadier CRJ (Aerosoft).… Exquisitely detailed - everything works (or at least the switches do what they are supposed to). I have 3 complaints:

1. The FMS will not accept the flightplan from the in-game flightplanner. You have to punch in the flightplan manually (don’t plug in airways - just put in direct-to waypoints - otherwise you might have CTD issues), or you can import from SimBrief - very easy.
  2. The checklist is more complex than it needs to be. Sure, If you want the full immersion, you go through everything, but I’ve whittled down the cold&dark checklist down to only about 15 steps (instead of like 100+) plus the FMS programming - just those things you need to go out and fly.
  3. While the autopilot is fully functional, there is no autothrottle (just like the real plane). No problems for climb and descent, but cruise is a pain in th a$$. Let’s say your desired cruise speed is 0.75 mach. Your current setting is taking you to 0.78 and still slowly increasing. You tap the F2 key to reduce throttle just 1%, and you end up dropping below 0.70, and start actually losing altitude. WAY too sensitive.

Overall the CRJ has an intimidating learning curve due to the inability to just go off and fly like all the stock airplanes, but is pretty good once you get used to it and throw out the unneeded stuff (sorry Sparky, I won’t turn on the heating in the baggage hold)

Carenado PA34 Seneca V… Very nice flying airplane. The GNS upgrade is also a nice addition.

Edit: One more I forgot, because I never fly it.

Kitfox STi - I wanted a bushplane that would have the STOL performance of the Shock Ultra (which is crazy-good) but would also have an autopilot for those occasional long transits. On paper, the Kitfox seems to fit the bill, but Noooooo… The flaps only come down 6 degrees (the real plane’s drop much further), and the plane is so incredibly light, and with no real flaps, I have come over the threshold at only 40-45 knots, power off and floated all the way down a 2000+ foot runway, unable to touch down. Forget trying to actually land in tight spaces. And it seems that the the developer has completely halted all development or updates since last September. Don’t waste your money on this turkey.

2 Likes

I have done about 100 or so flights with the CRJ. I always enter the flightplan by hand and I use airways. I have never had any of those crash issues you refer to.

1 Like

And there’s no limitations? Like using it on multiple PC’s? I had plenty of addons for xplane and i just stopped buying them one day because i was tired of the ■■■■ keys and drm. I love to upgrade my PC often (i’m an enthusiast), my IP changes occasionally, whenever i do something in bios like tune ram speeds, after any of these things the addons required to enter a serial key. And sometimes after not using them for a month suddenly again - please activate your product. I’m a paying customer, i don’t like when they treat me like a pirate. So i don’t want anything like that and i started looking for drm free addons for xplane since then, but there’s only few. I think it’s pretty reasonable why i prefer marketplace or steam. One account, automatic updates, everything’s in one place.
It’s beyond my comprehension why they don’t want to put it onto the marketplace.

Well i hope it’s superior because it’s twice the price, wouldn’t make sense otherwise :smiley: But is it worth for someone who doesn’t care about real life procedures?

I just think it flies better helps suspend disbelief a bit better and has more features. And there are no keys. Don’t know if you can use it on more than one computer, as I only fly on one computer and don’t use my gaming build as a testbed.

When inputting airways and waypoints, they would go in fine, and then I plug in the next one and the airway would disappear from the previous entry which was fine before. Attempting to fix those entries seems to cause the crashes. Not putting in the airways seems to avoid that issue.

That has to be some kind of conflict with something. I never have these issues.

Some of the best things in life are free(ware):

GotGravel Vertigo - if you like to go fast, Vertigo has the horses to spare - 320 kts level, up to 8,000 fpm and a roll rate that will make you ill. Low and Fast? High and Fast? Just fast? Vertigo.

What the Cessna Skyhawk should have been - the Cessna JT-A Mod. A 172 on jet fuel with a turbo diesel, and only a power lever and an actual discernable climb rate? I’m there. 8,000’ at 120 kias for over 600 nm. Easy, easy power adjustments on climbout, descent and final. Responsiveness to spare.

1 Like

I am late in the party, but very careful and reading all these helpful shared experiences.

Carenado M20R Ovation.
I read all the real life documentations, history of the company, and of Al & Art Mooney.
Then back read all threads here, and watched all possible internet & real life reviews.
There is always an option to fly old school manual, or use the sophisticated AP.
Very stable, fast, beautiful aircraft. I never had a CTD with this aircraft this year 2021.
For this reason, it is 10/10 for me.

PA44 Seminole.
As I am happy with the Carenado Mooney, I told myself upgrade to this twin engine.
The review of this aircraft is equally good.
However, my flying experience is so good with the Ovation, that I find this heavy & so slow.
Never used it since then. Not a fault of the aircraft maker.

Turbo Arrow (TO BUY)
Hahaha, I am still reading all the feedback here.
I don’t want to buy it and find myself in the same situation with the Seminole.
But I started reading the documentations and real life manuals of the aircraft.

Thank you all for sharing, makes life easier when buying new aircrafts.

Purely coincidence perhaps, but I noticed something in the Change Log for Little Navmaps which was updated today:

Blockquote
• Corrected Aerosoft CRJ flight plan export as far as possible. Now exporting a list of waypoints instead of airway routes for MSFS CRJ to minimize issues when loading plan in aircraft. Adapted changed keywords in .flp file and compressing airway segments now.

Perhaps they were experiencing the same issue?

Anyway, just a note to anyone with the CRJ - IF you are having CDT issues (or just complete freeze of the sim) while manually inputting your flightplan, try omitting the routes and just inserting the waypoints - it might help.

I only ever fly the 737 and 777

ah you have to wait for the pdmg then. maybe around xmass?

Just treated myself with the newly released PMDG Douglas DC-6.

What a beauty! What a challenge ! This one will keep me busy for the next 6 months. We are at the DCS level of complexity here. Not for the faint of heart.

Modeling/simulation: 9/10 (absolutely stunning, except for a few low textures and shortcuts here and there)

Fun: 8.5/10 (hard and challenging, but the flight assistant helps with the learning curve)

Stability: a couple of bugs but it’s brand new, so far an 8/10

That’s a 9/10 from me.

3 Likes

A lot of new stuff has come out… and time gives more perspective on things, so my feelings on certain things changed. Here is the updated list and a two second take on each.

A1R DESIGN BUREAU

• Ryan ST-A Special - 9/10 - This one hits all the right buttons for me. Beautiful, joy to fly. Want more from these guys

AEROSOFT:

• Bombardier CRJ 550/700 - 7/10 - THE regional airliner right now. Very detailed. Weather radar functionality badly needed. Flies really well - love it!

ASOBO STUDIO:

• Top Rudder 103 Solo - 8/10 - Great aircraft to go sightseeing in. Everything is done really well. Recommended

AT SIMULATIONS:

• Michel Colomban Cri-Cri - 6/10 - Quirky plane. Don’t fly it often. Good model, no range. Floats version can only be started on water - not many choices to pick from.

• Piaggio/Focke-Wulf P.149 - 7/10 - Developer hard to get ahold of and isn’t very responsive. Still some radio issues, other than that beautiful model, flies really well.

BIG RADIALS:

• Curtiss Tomahawk P-40B - 8/10 - Great warbird. Comes with an amazing bush trip. Highly recommended.

BLACKBOX SIMULATIONS:

• Britten-Norman BN-2 Islander - 6/10 - Pleasure to fly. Annoying co-pilot in the back seat the developer doesn’t want to fix. He is a pain sometimes, but I like him anyway. Highly addictive aircraft, can’t do without. Some stuff doesn’t work - like feathering. Sounds are ok but will be improved.

• Cessna L-19 Bird Dog - 7/10 - Ugly duckling. Flies like a dream. 3 variants, love the seaplane one. Very much recommended. Sounds will be improved soon.

BLUEMESH:

• Caudron C.430 “Rafale” - 7/10 - Beautiful piece of history, flies really well. No complaints, but nothing I’d fly on the regular basis. Plane is awkward by design.

• Skywaves Amphibious Ultralight - 5/10 - There is not much use for it right now. Kinda pain to fly - not much control. Doesn’t bleed off speed. I never fly it. It’s OK.

BREDOK3D:

• Eurofighter Typhoon EF - 3/10 More like Starfighter Buffoon. Stay far away. Garmin nightmare from hell. Flies like nothing ever flies.

• Boeing 737 MAX - 3/10 Everything is wrong - startup, FMC speeds. Frame eater. Dumb idea. Stay away.

BRSIMDESIGNS:

• Embraer-200 Ipanema - 4/10 - Non-functional ATC, comm/nav channel switching inop on a default GNS530??? Get outta here.

BT STUDIOS:

• Kitfox STi - 1/10 - Abandonware. Non-STOL aircraft. Major issues with startup, landing. Stay away

CAPTAIN SIM:

• Boeing 777-200ER - 1/10 - It’s not. It’s a 747 in an external model. Developers are insufferable. Stay away.

• Boeing 777-300ER - 1/10 - Same as above, but $10 cheaper. This shouldn’t exist.

CARENADO:

• Cessna C182T Skylane - 6/10 - Beautiful model, annoying sounds. Never fly it. Only for connoisseurs.

• Mooney M20R Ovation - 9/10 - This is a must for anyone who loves fast GA planes. Marvelous.

• Piper PA-28R Arrow III - 7/10 - Nothing wrong with it, but… go for the JustFlight one instead.

• Piper PA-34 Seneca V - 8/10 - Lovely twin. Highly recommended!

• Piper PA-44 Seminole - 7/10 - It’s Carenado - nothing complex, but everything you need works. Beautiful.

• WACO YMF-5 - 7/10 - Amazing sound of radial. Pain on takeoff. Beautiful. I don’t fly it much.

DC DESIGNS:

• McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle - 8/10 - Lovely. Simple implementation, but everything you need is there. Flies really well in terms of numbers. Really fun! Recommended.

• Stearman PT-17 - 9/10 - This is a classic you don’t want to miss. Flies like a dream. A little too easy to taxi with - slamming on brakes won’t nose you over.

FLYINSIDE:

• Bell 47-G2 - 8/10 - Incredibly well-done SIMPLE helicopter. Will challenge you. Looks a little plastic.

FLYING IRON SIMULATIONS:

• Spitfire L.F Mk IXc - 8/10 - REALLY well-done warbird. Beautiful, flies well, she is a handful. Read the manual.

FLYSIMWARE:

• Grumman G-44A Widgeon - 9/10 Radiates character. Amazing seaplane. One of the best GA aircraft in terms of flight model. Sounds are just OK. Can’t do without it though.

INDIAFOXTECHO:

• Aermacchi MB-339 - 8/10 - Nice trainer. I never fly it. But if it’s your thing, it’s really well-done.

• Rutan Model 61 Long-EZ - 6/10 - It’s well-done, but I just don’t dig the way it feels to fly it. Annoying reflections on the canopy glass.

• T-45C Goshawk - 8/10 - REALLY well-done. Pretty deep systems-wise. Has a manual no one will ever read - it’s the most dry thing ever. Haven’t spent much time with it.

IRIS SIMULATIONS:

• Jaburu J160-D/J170-D - 7/10 - Great slow VFR plane. Nicely done.

JUST FLIGHT:

• Piper PA-28 Arrow III - 10/10 - Everything I want in GA aircraft.

• Piper PA-28 Turbo Arrow III/IV - 10/10 - see above. REALLY well-done. Can’t be beat in GA right now.

LIONHEART CREATIONS:

• Socata Trinidad TB-21 GT Turbo - 6/10 - doesn’t really fly like Turbo. Developer still trying to figure out MSFS, there are plenty of bugs. Poor man’s Mooney.

MILVIZ:

• Vought FG-1D Corsair - 10/10 - If you want a warbird that will test you and give you magic, this is it. Doesn’t get better than this.

MSCENERY:

• Douglas A-4 Skyhawk - 1/10 - Mockery of aviation and customers. Stay away.

• McDonnell Douglas FA-18C Hornet - 1/10 - Copyright issues on release. Garmin nightmare. Nothing works well. Keep away.

• Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 - 1/10 - See above. Third aircraft this guy ruined.

NEMETH DESIGNS:

• Aero-Works Aerolite 103 - 3/10 - Nothing you are missing. Bugs, developer drama, pretty much abandoned.

NEXTGEN SIMULATIONS:

• Embraer EMB-110 Bandeirante - 6/10 - COULD be enjoyable, but isn’t. Weather radar INOP for no reason. Engine gauges are wrong. Graphics aren’t the best. Weird developer that isn’t planning an update until end of the year.

ORBX:

• Edgley EA-7 Optica - 7/10 - Nice sightseeing bird. Well done, but… too quirky to fly often.

PAPERCRAFT AERO DESIGN:

• Race X - 1/10 - I don’t even know what this is. Flies awful. I don’t think this thing ever existed.

• Stride Ultralight - 3/10 - Nothing you need. Another fictional ultralight with non-existent rudder pedals.

PMDG:

• Douglas DC-6 - 10/10 - If you were gonna buy ONE aircraft for MSFS, this should be it. Will give you YEARS of learning and pleasure. Incredible.

REALPHYSICS:

• Dorand AR.1 A2 200 - 7/10 - Nicely done, but a modernized version of a WWI plane. Not for everyone, but really enjoyable.

SIM SKUNK WORKS:

• Fiat/AerItalia G-91 - 7/10 - Nice subsonic military jet. Everything is on par. Recommended.

SIMWORKS STUDIOS:

• Zenith CH701 STOL - 9/10 - You need this for STOL bush flying. Nicely done.

VGP:

• Power Solo 103 - 5/10 - Unfortunately made obsolete by Top Rudder 103.

VIRTUALCOL:

• Beechcraft 99 - 2/10 - Disaster. Flies awful, terrible avionics. Ugly as sin.

• Embraer ERJ170/175 - 1/10 Worst jet in the sim. Frankenstein avionics. Ugly. Flies awful. Autopilot issues. Stay FAR away.

WING42:

• Bleriot XI - 10/10 - Historic masterpiece faithfully recreated. Beautiful, quirky. Challenging. You won’t fly it often, but when you DO, it rewards you.
15 Likes

Crj only 7/10?

Re islander, I am always wary of promises to improve sound. If I am not mistaken, the developer of goshawk also promised to improve sound but today it still sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

1 Like

I think it’s because:

1. Some textures aren’t quite amazing
  2. No weather radar (sim limitation tho afaik)
  3. Waypoint sequencing can be a little wonky sometimes as it builds off (but has a lot of custom elements) the default flight plan manager
1 Like

7/10 because:

1. Weather radar
  2. Some approach quirks with ILS from time to time
  3. The drama over CTDs when purchased through Marketplace and some of the ways they responded to customers during this product’s lifetime thus far - re: major ILS glideslope issues at release etc.

But overall, I still highly recommend the product.

2 Likes

Thank you for your sacrifices buying from the likes of Captain Sim, Bredrock, Virtualcol and MScenery, I think we now know who to avoid. :crazy_face:
You are precious to this community. :sparkling_heart:

I wish Microsoft didn’t promote completely subpar products like the Kitfox in the marketplace. It can only hurt the game.

6 Likes