What about Greenland?

Calling all devs, looking at you :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: Orbx! Can Greenland get some mesh, some POI, some love?! :roll_eyes:

This important part of our planet just ignored and ground zero for observable warming of the atmosphere. Let’s donate proceeds to charity or something. I’ve flown over IRL, and its spectacular! Also a regular on my summer trans-Atlantic MSFS crossings. I’m headed to Iceland right now!

Let’s do this!

6 Likes

It´s Greenland anyway, so basically there´s not so much there. There was an airport pack in the past but the payware version seems to have vanished as now the website does not load. Freeware version is still hosted:

Author page is still on facebook: TL Creation

Cheers

3 Likes
4 Likes

I’ll take a look. Hoping to see some mesh areas in the 30 nm range also. Great! Thanks!

1 Like

I’m still trying to figure why they called it Greenland? … maybe they already knew about global warming in Elizabethan times :wink:

1 Like

Wiki:
The early Norse settlers named the island as Greenland. In the Icelandic sagas, the Norwegian-born Icelander Erik the Red was said to be exiled from Iceland for manslaughter. Along with his extended family and his thralls (i.e. slaves or serfs), he set out in ships to explore an icy land known to lie to the northwest. After finding a habitable area and settling there, he named it Grœnland (translated as “Greenland”), supposedly in the hope that the pleasant name would attract settlers. The Saga of Erik the Red states: “In the summer, Erik left to settle in the country he had found, which he called Greenland, as he said people would be attracted there if it had a favorable name.”

4 Likes

Got a base at BGSF (Air Hauler 2) and spent a considerable amount of time flying around that area, the weather can make landings super tricky! its also a nice gateway across to Alaska and Northern Canada.

A mesh for it would be awesome.

3 Likes

The height data is freely available (and by the end of 2022 a much more precise model will be out).

2 Likes

Can that be put into MSFS?

I just got a notification about TL Creation new website, for those interested in the Greenland package:

Cheers

1 Like

Today the Danish agency for Geodata launched a new and very extensive mapping of Greenland including a detailed DEM based on LiDAR along with 1,6 m/pix satellite pictures and Othophotos down to 0,2 m for built up areas.
So Asobo, the data is definitely available to make Greenland stand out in all its natural beauty. Rooting for WU Greenland!

(Page only available in Danish, but should be readable via Google translate)

5 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Greenland should have been called Iceland, and Icland should have been called Volcanoland… :slight_smile:

Staying on topic: YES Greenland needs better mesh…

2 Likes

Is this free data and can you (as in someone) make it into one of them DEM mods?

1 Like

I believe the DEM is released as public domain, but haven’t read all the text in small print.

2 Likes

Greenland is a stunning area of the world and the weather is extremely challenging.

Canada got some World Update love, but, locations like Grise Fiord etc were not part of it sadly.

Really hoping Greenland and the far north gets an update, wether its a WU or Orbx etc.

5 Likes

Perhaps make a wish list item for a World Update? Someone made a wish list request for World Update Papua New Guinea - and now it’s number one with the status “Planned”!

2 Likes

100% yes. We need a better Greenland mesh

5 Likes

I always want more scenery, I bought the Antarctica pack with great excitement, still haven’t flown there yet :thinking: At least with Alaska if you go up GA, there’s always somewhere to end up without a plan. How far apart are facilities in Greenland?

1 Like

Has anyone reached out to Asobo about releasing a Greenland update?