What about trains,

Would be nice to have rail traffic
Just imagine following one one those half mile long American consists or race a TGV from Paris to Bordeaux or Marseille…
Maybe later…?

10 Likes

…or race a TGV from Paris to Bordeaux or Marseille…

Sounds cool. But first I want to be able to fly under bridges without hitting that “invisible wall” :wink:

4 Likes

Definitely something I miss. Trains are cooler than cars. Apart from the 3d bits, rail is entirely flat grey sludge

1 Like

Would sure be nice! Maybe place in #self-service:wishlist to get some attention there :).

1 Like

yes thanks, I did; be fun to race the Eurostar from London to Paris

I would expect perhaps third parties will do this. I heard someone is already working on ships.

Yes, they are important. Not only for eye candy, but also cause in Gisborne (NZGS), a railway indeed crosses the runway :grin:

Cheers

8 Likes

What about fixing the bugs first?
What about getting the advertised features into the game?

1 Like

Agreed but looking at the way road traffic is implemented I’m not sure it would be all that good. :wink:

On the other hand static trains in places where we have photogrammetry can be very good. Aachen for example…

7 Likes

Would be fun yes, but this would be on the bottom of my wishlist given other much more significant areas for improvement.

Holy hell for the millionth time on this forum, Asobo is a 250 person strong team with many teams working on many specialized areas. The people who would be moddling AI trains are not the same people working on platform stability fixes, or the AP, or avionics etc. This idea that their UI designers, or 3d modelers, or mapping people should just stop working because the avionics team needs to fix the flight systems is stupid and completely out of touch.

3 Likes

I would love to see trains at some point in time, but just like seasons I prefer them to be done well. Not those generic, most of the time out of place, trains you see in X-Plane 11.

Wouldn’t it be cool if the trains (and trams in city areas) would look more closely to their real life counterparts in that region? Here in the Netherlands we have yellow trains with blue accents for example. Would be great if they could match models and colors as much as possible for each region.

And we could have more freight trains during the night and early hours and more passenger trains during the day. Maybe they could even be running on real-life schedules.

Priority wise they will come after many other things for me though. Seasons will be one of them and even that has a lower priority for me.

Seems like 249 people are working new content and one is fixing bugs…

2 Likes

I saw a Bart train moving in the bay area near Berkeley once… I think that was pre 1.9 patch…

“Lets get the planes to fly in the air without pitching”
“Dont give this ■■■■■■■ dev company any ideas”
Sound like orders to me…
maybe that’s not a sim for you…yet

:joy: humor is often the best approach.

One would think we wouldn’t need third party addons to fix what I would consider minor features developmentally. Features that were implemented 14 years ago in FSX and Xplane. Trains, proper road traffic, roads that don’t have images of still cars baked into them, etc… If they can stream a map of the planet, implement the insane weather textures they have, and use an AI system to generate non-photogrammetry objects down to the roof type, height, and color – trains simply following tracks that are already there, and cars not acting insanely seem like a small feat.

Well, a UI team could be perfectly capable of introducing new features along with new bugs that may have to be fixed by other teams again.
With a central code repository like github, you can focus on releasing bug fixes only , and have other teams continue working in separate code branches that can be merged into one release later on.

I’m all for releasing bug fixes in coming weeks/months.

DSC Blackshark (and probably the other DCS World sims) has rail traffic which is pretty cool. When I was into that sim, I would keep pace with the trains and even touch down lightly on the moving flatbed cars. :slight_smile:

Hmmm, let me ponder the necessity of having trains in the flightsim…

With maritime traffic, road traffic, GA traffic, Airline traffic, animal traffic…then why not?

1 Like