What could I be doing wrong?

That would be entirely normal for a single engine aircraft. For twins, I honestly don’t know whether counter rotating props are simulated, to counter engine torque. This is where I end up testing my own knowledge here, so if I get something wrong someone far more knowledgeable than I will correct me.

As you increase the throttle the clockwise rotating prop causes the aircraft to want to rotate in the opposite direction. This forces the left main gear wheel down harder, increasing drag which causes the plane to yaw to the left. Less throttle, less yaw.

On rotation, as you pull up you are then affected by P-Factor. As the propellers angle of attack increases, the downward moving blade, on the right is moving faster than the blade coming up. That increases lift, and again causes yaw to the left.

Then there is spiral slipstream, where a spiral vortex of wind hits the left of the vertical stabiliser, and again more yaw to the left.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2014/october/flight-training-magazine/technique--left-turning-tendencies

I honestly couldn’t tell you how much of that is mitigated by a twin engine aircraft with counter rotating props.

It could also be a left crosswind, and the plane is weathervaning into the wind, rotating about the main gear.

You may have also noticed a bit of a lurch as you increase speed. This is an issue highlighted by another user, @Alec246, where the crosswind component is 0 while the aircraft is stationary, and according to the question I asked at the last Dev Q&A, when the aircraft reaches 10m/s, the crosswind builds up to its full strength. The assumed reason for this was borne out I believe, and that they haven’t figured out how to stop the wind blowing the aircraft to the side when it isn’t moving, so they turned it off entirely while stationary, and it builds as you accelerate to 10m/s. Indeed I have personally experienced a parked Cessna Grand Caravan parked side on to a hill slowly move sideways up the hill, thumbing its nose at physics!

2 Likes