What did you do in MSFS today? (Part 1)

No pterosaurs? I heard they like to go for whirly-birds. :grinning:

2 Likes

They all retired and moved to Palm Springs

I love the way the bumps feel in the DR400! I did my first hand-flown IFR flight with it in Hawaii a couple weeks ago, super fun other than almost getting vectored into a mountain and having to pull up and barely make it over it at the last second. :slight_smile:

Finally got up the courage to take up FBW’s A320 for the first time, just a quick run from Gulfport to New Orleans and back, but still long enough to get a peek above the clouds before descending. I’m sure there’s a lot I’m still getting wrong (for example I don’t know how to get the autopilot to realize it’s time to start slowing down to begin the approach, and yes I forgot to retract my flaps for the longest time, and the AI co-pilot isn’t always successful in setting the transponder), but takeoff, climb, and ILS landing were practically flawless, and in general the experience was quite relaxing.

The trip back to Gulfport I had a few more things ironed out, but in the absence of any official FBW-produced documentation I guess I’ll have to watch some more videos.

And finally it was light enough outside to continue my VFR tour of the North American coastline (I’ll do South America when it’s summer there and winter here), now in the Seneca. Compared to the Bandeirante, the Seneca felt a lot more twitchy and will take some getting used to, but the elevator trim also responds quicker.

2 Likes

Well, I wouldn’t try IFR in this poorly equiped school plane. :grinning:

Maybe if I find something like this one :

But more seriously, I’d really like a “standard steam gauges” Dr400, which usually means 2 VORs (including one ILS) and a ADF. A HSI would be great.

2 Likes

Almost at the end of my Air Journey World Tour, headed to Russia next!

Leg 19 - Taipei, ROC to Osaka, JP

Evening arrival into Osaka, JP R23R ILS. Overcast weather but made for a misty sunset.

4 Likes

Is there such a thing as a 55-mile final, at 60 kts?

Cuz, I did it today.

2 Likes

I am sure I will have more to say after the flight to Rapa Nui (Easter Island), but as1200nm I have time to kill… lol

starting where I left off, but the sim dropped my plane in a slightly awkward location. Amazingly the pushback sorted my Horizontal Deviation Situation. Also first attempt to catch a t/o

had vid… 6mb, and even that was too big for the 4mb limit. Would really like to see this issue addressed. I get the need for small files, but I couldn’t even share a 4 second clip

1 Like

Took the H135 up to Fuji from Gotemba. Not an easy climb, on foot or by helo. Set it down in the crater which was inaccessible when I was there the last time. The bird struggled to get there, but that most likely was due to my inexperience with the chopper controls.

3 Likes

I buzzed my house at 1500 feet with a default 747 800 I just set throttle to max and enjoyed the ride

3 Likes

Today I am doing my first detailed city of Florida. 46 Detailed cities in Florida and I plan on flying over all of them. Up first, Brandon Florida.

1 Like

Did a small test flight along the Ohio river.

3 Likes

New Orleans to Lafayette in the Seneca, dodging and ducking around/under clouds the whole way. Slowing down enough to lower the gear is something I still need to get used to (the Bandeirante could do it at 148 KIAS instead of 128), but once the gear is down there’s plenty of drag.

Circling around the downtown scenery before I head out.

Following a mix of rivers, roads, and coastlines as usual to keep things interesting.

Conoco Phillips oil refinery.

Heading out to the Mississippi delta and then turning west.

Decided to turn west/southwest early.

Turning inland to intercept the highway that will take me the rest of the way to Lafayette.

There it is, time to make a hard left.

And we’re finally there. I love the smell of that rain upon opening the door.

3 Likes

If you have PG turned off, you can skim the Ohio river and fly under the bridges all the way to Cincinnati. Once you get to Cinci you have to be careful though there are a couple of bridges where you still cant pass underneath…

1 Like

Clever AI??
During my tour of European Capitals in the CJ4 I parked up at Nicosia/Mammari Airport - no ATC so I parked on a “medium” parking spot (the Sim accepted it as valid). I should note here I use the distinctive “Silver Bullet” livery with my own reg.

I then “rented” a local C172 for a tour of Cyprus itself from what looked like the local flying club. Taxied out for takeoff - and there was my silver CJ4, nicely parked where I had left it! Note; I had closed then re-opened the Sim. TBH I didn’t see if the reg was the same, but was quite impressed that the game had “remembered” me parking there!

Which got me thinking. Are the aircraft that the sim places in airports - and incidentally also appear in Little Navmap - those from other simmers who have landed there?

3 Likes

Lafayette, LA to Beaumont, TX in the Seneca, mostly following I-10. Weather was still pretty gloomy, but thankfully the ceilings were higher. At least until I was almost to Beaumont, by that point things were getting far too risky and I should have had an alternate planned.

Turning onto I-10 west.

A town with the curious name of Iowa. Every time I see a sports field I have the urge to try and land on it, but the Seneca isn’t exactly known for its STOL capabilities.

Lake Charles, LA.

Vinton, the last town in Louisiana before crossing into Texas.

Crossing the Sabine River into Texas.

Ceilings began to drop dramatically the moment I was in Texas. I really should have turned around and stopped in Lake Charles for the day.

Finally on approach to Beaumont. In school I learned it had the highest annual rainfall of any city in Texas, and it did not disappoint.

Safe at last.

After stepping into the local FBO, I ran into a friend who asked if I’d like to tag along with him on a repositioning flight of a Citation Longitude to College Station and then fly back to Beaumont in his CJ4. How could I say no to a peek above the clouds? :slight_smile:

Weather in College Station wasn’t much of an improvement, but soon it was time to take off again in the CJ4 and head back to Beaumont.

4 Likes

See ? :nerd_face: these people don’t know nothing about flying dinosaurs… I’m gonna stop flying when they won’t solve the missing dinosaurs issue.

1 Like

My CRJ training is making progress, little by little. Today went flying from sunny San Jose, CA to Vancouver, BC, KSJC-CYVR.

Weather wasn’t so good in Vancouver.

5 Likes

I’m getting close to pulling the trigger on the CRJ myself! I promised myself I wouldn’t buy it until I had practiced enough and felt comfortable with the WT CJ4 and FBW A320.

Man I’d love to fly Jurassic Park… some Pacific island… I’d be prepared to pay for a good addin !! All dinosaurs are already there, animated dinosaurs… because they were used by Stephen Spielberg…

1 Like