What did you do in MSFS today? (Part 1)

was once again blown away how much m ore I appreciate this planet… especially when learning about hte amazing things we get to see… like the wreckage left from a mega tsunami!
I only flew over this 3 weeks ago and was amazed with it… so this was really interesting

from my flight to Anchorage

5 Likes

More like what didnt I do. Testing, and figuring out why the speed tape on the 300 gps is so crystal clear in VR, but the analog airspeed next to it, with a font twice the size is blurry. I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue.

Then I started doing the flight training, got A A A B A . the B is in attitudes, cause I can’t keep the yoke from sticking. But it will have to do until I get a new one.

I had to stop. I’m in the bathroom cause the tornado siren across the street went off. What a day.

Reached chatuauga NY scouting locations for route 2 my next long flight series may be the Appalachian trail states and cities in the default Cirrus sr22 after flying around the Great Lakes in the Cessna 152

Sometimes you just got to laugh. “You collided with an object and caused critical damage to the aircraft” after an hour long approach, following ATC directions. Twice called to go around (back up to FL140) due to the aircraft in front of me not leaving the runway.

Forgive my erratic flight pattern, I don’t know how to find the waypoints ATC calls out so I periodically ask for a vector, It painted the pattern in the end,

I didn’t see any obstructions, yet it was dark by the time I was allowed to land. Last recorded descent rate -251 fpm, 13ft to go, in the middle of my flare, couple stutters and game over.

It was fun circling NY in the sunset anyway, but ATC really needs to sort out the hand offs. I got switched to another frequency at least 30 times during that landing sequence.

Next flight Calgary to Vancouver, chasing the sunset. ATC tried to murder me on the way while rapid firing descent instructions.

I cancelled my descent of course, only to get scolded at to expedite my descent into the mountain

On arrival in Vancouver ATC just told me to go straight in, gave me clearance to land, together with a west jet flight I was practically on top of. I made a 360 loop and slowed down as much as possible to give Westjet plenty time to get off the runway

It seems AI live traffic stalls after landing, and I was told to go around. I saw him finally turn off (all the way at the other end) while I flew over.

On my second approach, ATC just ignored me, no clearance, nothing. Then on the back leg I got handed off to the tower and got clearance to land while still flying away. Turn around again and yay, landing succeeded! The gate connected by itself as well after parking.

I turned external power on as that seemed to work last time to hold off the logbook interruption when turning off the engines, yet I still got booted. On to the next flight.

4 Likes

Practicing my GA Portland-San Francisco run, here’s some shots from the second leg from Weed (O46) near Mt. Shasta to Concord (KCCR) near SF, done in the Pipistrel Virus on full manual control. Mostly following I-5, this leg runs about 2 hours at ~100 knots cruise:

7 Likes

Well today, I flew from Sedona to Deer Valley Airport in Arizona USA. I used live weather, and since I reside within the State and I know what the weather is like (Stormy! with low visibility, live weather) I wanted to challenge myself, and I was able to land at Deer Valley (KDVT) after 3 go arounds, and bouncing 3 times. The visibility was so low that I had to be under 2,000 feet to start seeing the ground. I’m quite prooud of it.

7 Likes

We would give this 5 likes if it were possible ! Thanks.

Airbus A330-900 Neo

7 Likes

Cant help you with how much when to decrease altitude, since I fly in the dirt most of the time, and ATC is a little screwy in this version so I dont use that, but cool more you fly them the better they get, though there should of been a better selection on the game in the 1st place IMHO.

I remember in an older FS the 1st time I flew to JFK, after a 4 hour flight I arrive call the tower and get put in line, for almost another hour, orbiting the airport waiting for my turn, I finally get approval from the tower Im 600’ from the runway, and I get rundown by a 747 that was behind me, of course since you cant interact with other aircraft it was only a ■■■ moment, in reality all would of been lost on both planes. This was before we had multiplayer in a FS.

There are all kinds of adventures you can get into with this game if you only have a little imagination. Unfortunately computers and the internet seem to have killed that in alot of people. ;p

1 Like

I found that descending at minimum 2500 ft/min manages to keep up with ATC instructions. The ‘standard’ -700 the A320 starts descending at from high altitude is far too slow if you wait for ATC to give you instructions.

Still, trusting them at night would be foolish. In my last flight ATC had me on a 2,000ft VFR approach into KSFO with vectors that would have steered me into the mountains.

I explored the whole world in the Bonanza, alone in the world, while ignoring ATC, now I’m exploring the quirks of ATC with live traffic and multiplayer. Two different games, both a lot of fun!

Flew an FPV drone over Rainbow Bridge, Odaiba … and launched virtual swarm of lights to simulate virtual fireworks :slight_smile:

1 Like

You know what else can be alot of fun, is to ‘land’ on a moving vehicle. Its pretty hard in this since they dont seem to stay on the road very long, but in FSX i had it down to a science. My co-pilot could of gotten out of the plane an got into the moving vehicle if it would have been real life.

The smuggler game can be fun too. Start out with a small GA then overload the hell out of it. Start at point A staying below 500’ and using mountains or whatever as cover, fly across the border still below 500’ until you find a small airstrip, do a touch a go, and announce to ATC you are taking of from x-small-airfield and voila you win lol ;p

2 Likes

Today I learnt about fuel economy. :thinking:

I tend to do fairly short hops so it’s rarely an issue. Full throttle, max revs, max mixture all the way. But while pottering about in Neofly I decided to jump up from bush flights to a short haul. Took a nice heavy cargo job worth a nice chunk of change, removed some fuel to accommodate the weight, and off I went.

Ten minutes later, beep beep beep! Low fuel in the left tank. Oh dear. With at least 40 minutes to go that’s bad. But I’m stubborn, so I decided not to land and take on more fuel, and not to pause the sim while I went to read up on fuel conservation in prop-driven aircraft. I’d either work it out on my own, or (virtually) die trying!

There were a bunch of colourful levers in the cockpit so I yanked on those for a bit, and eventually had the plane just about hanging in the air as it sputtered along. It was a long (and surprisingly immersive) 40 minutes, watching the fuel gauges dropping… even more so since I was flying the XCub which has two sets of markings per gauge, and I had no idea why or which one was correct! But finally with airport in sight I managed to make a perfect landing (by my standards). I parked up and before the ground crew had even finished offloading the cargo, the engine died. Most fun flight I’ve had in FS2020 to date. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Lessons learnt?

1. Read up on official, effective, non-random-lever-pulling methods of fuel economy.
  2. Read up on the official documentation for the aircraft being flown.
  3. Don’t sacrifice fuel for a bigger pay cheque!
  4. If in doubt… wing it! :joy:
4 Likes

Flew the A320NX FBW in British Caledonian livery from EGKK to LEAL. This image is the aircraft breaking through heavy overcast on the SFD9P SID heading south towards the English Channel.

4 Likes

I narrowly avoided a splash down in the Daher. I did a flight to Saint-Bathelemy, IFR. Someone was not following ATC instructions at the destination which kept ATC busy, so I never got landing clearance. I declared a missed approach (only option it gave me) and ATC simply told me to climb back to 2,1000ft, nothing else.

After a couple circles, still nothing, ATC wasn’t interested in giving me any more instructions but to maintain 2100ft, no clearance, nothing. Every time I started an approach, a climb back up instruction followed.

Then the left tank ran dry, the auto fuel switch failed for some reason. I only had 7.5 gallons left in the other tank as well. Switch to manual, switch to right tank, get the engine going again before stalling. Still nothing from ATC, can’t declare an emergency, so I landed while ATC told me to climb back up. Sorry, no fuel. Only options Say again, acknowledge.

Landed safely, taxied to the fuel and enough of that. ATC needs a lot of work! Every flight it tries to kill me :joy:

3 Likes

Took a trip through the Caribbean with my nephew…

8 Likes

I was into airliners in P3D, but this game got me into GA flying. Cheers!

3 Likes

Took my Powersolo up to look for the concrete directional arrow on the top of Brean Down, Somerset; left over from testing during WW2…and found it…

9 Likes

too bad you cannot animate the legs… Great start. Looks so soft inside.

BTW, Totoro also flies on a spinning top… which makes one wonder after three decades why he needed the neko bus…

4 Likes