What did you do in MSFS today? (Part 2)

Took the Black Square Bonanza “base model” from KMYF to L08 (Borrego Valley), used a real terminal chart for planning, and decided to use RNAV to make myself a custom beacon for L08 using 114.0 (Julian), 15nm at 45 degrees (in case any fellow SoCal fans should want to try this flight). As I approached Borrego I got some nice signal attenuation. Made one of the finest descents and approaches, making up for last nights thud fest of bad landings. I’m not done for the day yet!!!

5 Likes

Saturday flight: EasyJet Airbus A320 from Lyon-Saint-Exupéry (LFLL) to Sevilla (LEZL)

10 Likes

Preparing …

3 Likes

8 Likes

Which Long Beach is that? Western WA?

1 Like

CYAZ Tofino BC

2 Likes

It’s a shame we don’t have this little guy available at Xbox…

1 Like

Flew from San Francisco to Reno. Nice flight overall, didn’t mess up the landing this time. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Well, that was a fun ride from London City Center to Le Bourget. Awesome low-viz departure from LC. Winds were beautiful once we got over the Channel and headed easterly - I was running GS 311 True at one point.

ATC decided to descend early. Good thing I dialed in ATIS ahead of time and was in range, it was RWY25 which has only a LOC A offset approach. I knew the best entry was MOPAR6 and just as we were closing on the transition, ATC finally cleared me to it. Unfortunately, the FMS completely cut the corner and I ended up at a bad entry angle to the ILS feather.

It was good that I had practiced LOCs only and speed over distance with the jet - set up a nice 600 fpm rate down to 500’ while recovering laterally. Never, never, never get complacent when you think everything is going just dandy and dialed in. :laughing: Uncle Murphy will Gibb-smack you on the head right. My moment was at about 700’ as I was head up and out trying to cross-check that I had the right approach lights because 21 and 25 were both in my FOV.

A CAS message kept dinging and I finally figured out why - my gear had chosen not to deploy, and the FMS was reminding “Hey stupid, gear’s up and locked.” I cycled the switch twice and decided things were broken, but I had also lost just about 200’ before making the decision to use the emergency gear release. Confirmed out of the corner of my eye that I had three down and locked while cross-checking the approach lights one more time. The other old habit that saved me was setting the manual heading bug to final runway mag. Two sets of lights - look down - yep, stay on course, that’s the one the bug is pointing at. Still got sloppy on line up but recovered nicely for a good landing, but not a greaser.

7 Likes

Took one of the Oregon Air National Guard’s F-15s out for a spin from Portland* :slight_smile:

*Livery: F-15C Oregon Air National Guard 142nd Fighter Wing Flagship - City of Portland » Microsoft Flight Simulator

6 Likes

Leg 13 from Philippines to Hong Kong. RPLI :airplane: VHHX
New Hong Kong airport (VHHH) was not existing, when DC-3 used to fly. So my destination was famous Kai Tak.

Whole flight was over the sea, so almost no navigation cues. I used dead-reckoning with some VOR help. I departed LAO VOR on course 309. I soon established that my heading had to be 307 to compensate wind. Luckily that was small crosswind, so no much deviation. Of course, after some time I lost the signal. The only navigation cue is tiny island on half way. And I passed above it exactly as planned and change course to 307 (heading 305). And in 1 hour I could see Hong Kong right in front of me. Then I joined Kai Tak right downwind 13 and flew visual approach over Kowloon. Unfortunately I was not able to point drone to take photo of Hong Kong Island side.
The navigation was much easier than I expected. Let’s see how it goes on my next leg to Taiwan.

10 Likes

When I took off from a small airstrip called LF54 in the south of France and headed in a southwesterly direction, I saw a strange mountain nearby.
It is called Mount Aiguille.
There are many strange places on earth.

8 Likes

IFR flight from Paro to Kathmandu on a TBM 930

Kanchenjunga, the third highest mountain on Earth

On final

Did this scenic RNP approach coming from IGRIS but the weather was not so good as you can see20230319_151634

7 Likes

Taking off from KOMK early morning. :yawning_face:

flying over Grand Coulee Dam and Reservoir. :raised_hands: :camera_flash:

Say hello to the sun rise! :wave: :sunrise:

Get some breakfast in Spokane and figure out where to go next. South back to California or back East to Colorado?

6 Likes

TAPA-TNCM with 24 pax in DC-3

7 Likes

Preparing for the race after the race before the race

5 Likes

This reminds me of the movie “Airplane!” I just dated myself, I know.

2 Likes

I took the Caribou out for its maiden flight. It’s pretty neat!

7 Likes

Go Charles!

1 Like

Another Longitude trip, LEMG to LFML this time

8 Likes