What do pedals really do in this sim?

It does have in real life and the Mooney Ovation I fly in the sim should also have. But for none of them it is simulated.

@EvidencePlz, I read the Adverse Yaw Effect topic, voted up and marked you answer here as Solution. Thanks. I should have found your topic before posting a new topic. I would be interested in experience of larger plane pilots.

So most of my questions are discussed on your topic already. The only losely related question is the nose wheel steering. It is not simulated. But even for that there are other topics already.

I should search for information more carefully in the forum.

What aspect is not simulated? Seems to work fine to me in the C172.

The nosewheel on a 172 will not turn if the plane is not moving. There are bungees or something that absorbs the inputs so the pedals will still operate the rudder on operational checks during run-up. Watch your nosewheel with the external camera when you’re taxiing. It should turn.

Rudder pedals have added a whole new layer of immersion for me in these sims.
Coupled with VR and a great seating position.
Only thing I’m missing is some sort of force feedback

2 Likes

I stand corrected - it’s been a while :frowning:

Couldn’t agree more. I have yet to EVER have to use right rudder pedal when flying the C152 or C172, in fact in most cases I have to use left rudder. Flight models not good at all in this respect at least. I need to experiment with the C152X mod to see if that helps. Sadly, after paying extra for the C172 steam gauge, seems like it’s model is just as sucky but can’t be fixed by the community.

Not happy about this at all.
Scott

3 Likes

Not my experience at all - just taxi around at normal to slow taxi speed and steer with the pedals and Do Not touch the brakes. The Cessna 152 and 172 will absolutely respond to pedal input. You should not need differential braking unless you’re taxiing too fast. I find the taxi behavior very close to real life responsiveness. iRL your toes should be OFF the brakes unless you’re actually operating the brakes. Takeoff and landing, your toes don’t want to be anywhere near the brakes— taboo!

Incidentally that’s the same
For me with every stock plain including taildraggers, though they may need cautious differential braking for tight turns.

There is a difference between the nose wheel steering not being simulated, in terms of flight model, and the nose wheel steering not being visualized. Judging from the turns I can make at slow speeds, it seems to me that the steering is modelled. That it is not visualized, I did not notice!

1 Like

I find the same, left pedal and precious little else. I hope they get this right when Helis are introduced because pedal input is an enormous part of controlling rotorcraft in hover and slow speed manoeuvres.

1 Like