What do you love about MSFS 2020?

Hey all,

Negativity is always the loudest in the world, and the launch of MSFS 2020 is no different.

I just wanted to start a thread where we posted about all the things we love, and the great experiences we had/are having in MSFS 2020. Not to ignore the issues, but to highlight the positives thus far.

I’ll start. It’s only been a couple of days, but it’s been awesome being able to connect with so many people around the world and fly in their local region. It may not be perfect on the ground. In the air, it’s facilitating hearing others talk about the local stores or local sights and experiences they’ve had in this true to life simulation.

I’ve also enjoyed connecting with others and being able to fly together with no other traffic in the Live World weather in private groups.

I also taxied from my local airport to my house following the streets I would usually drive, which is crazy cool!

What do you love about MSFS 2020 so far?

4 Likes

The future potential.

4 Likes

It has given me some more time off from flying since I uninstalled FSX and I am waiting for FS2020 to work.

My wife likes me again…that’s a plus!

1 Like

I like how you can change the registration on the back of the plane as with previous sims you’d end up having a load of the same liveries from an airline but with different registrations. Now I only need one livery per airline!

2 Likes

I love how I kept my X-Plane current so I could go back to proper IFR and procedures at any time.

2 Likes

The core features of it. To sum up:

• Next gen FS platform
  • 3rd partys onboard
  • Big chances of being updated for many years to come
3 Likes

I love the whole experience so far! I’m only flying the Cessna 172, but flying around my home area is absolutely gorgeous and better looking than X-Plane11. I even just did a tour around NYC starting from LaGuardia and have to say my flying experience, with the settings on Ultra, is the best flying experience I’ve had since FS9! (Which I still have on my machines!) The graphics flow on my machine is amazing. I have the GeForce GTX 1070 with 8GB video ram, an i7 processor with 32GB ram. However I also have an HP Pavilion notebook which has both an intel integrated graphics plus a GeForce MX250 with 4GB of ram and the basic installation with the graphics settings on defaults runs very well. I’m going to go put it through its paces now.

I like that we can configure our own controllers (I don’t like that some of the terms aren’t clear).

I like that there are so many airports to use. I finally figured out that we can save a flight (.flt file) just for flying around our own area if we set the same airport as departure and arrival. You can’t save a flight unless you have both departure and arrival set. That stumped me at the beginning.

There is much to love about this new FlightSim2020. There is much that is frustrating, but I am very very happy that I bought it!

3 Likes

Even with mostly low graphics I am amazed with how good it looks. Sure, I’ve seen the ultra settings screenshots and videos but I don’t feel like I’m missing out too much!

2 Likes

The terrain simulation is wonderful. The sky, clouds, water and mountains are beautiful. It did take me a while to configure my controller properly to adjust the sensitivity settings and also to get use to the cameras. Still having a bit of trouble flying the planes but it’s a wonderful experience when I do manage. Also, I haven’t had any lag or stutter with the frame rates. It’s runs very well. I am sure it will only be improved vastly with time.

2 Likes

I love that Microsoft is back in the flight sim business and taking a huge gamble on this complex ball of technological firsts being successful.

I like that the result is that the world is modeled in very high detail and high resolution. In general aircraft that are low flying and slow, this is an excellent VFR flight sim.

I wish the avionics were fleshed out because in its current state MSFS2020 is not an outstanding commercial airline IFR sim appropriate for real study and development.

6 Likes

Graphics, scenery. Next, I actually enjoy seeing so many live players on multiplayer. I just wish they’d stop spawning on the runway and would take the time to follow the ATC. They do a good job of keeping traffic out of each other’s way. Nothing more frustrating than to be lining up (after being given takeoff clearance) and then to have 2 planes spawn on the runway, then 2 more zoom in over my head to land. WTH? You get out of a sim what you put into it.

1 Like

I’m considering removing X-Plane so that I can get the 500 Gig of space it used up for some seriously crappy scenery quality…and it, too, is buggy.

1 Like

It is incredible. Accurate scenery. The graphics are amazing! The sky and clouds not forgetting the water is absolutely brilliant! The simulator took me about 12 hours to install, in the end it was worthwhile the wait! Though it is without a doubt the best! One major thing I am used to having in a flight simulator though, is the replay section where you can watch your landings. I think that they forgot this, this time. It would be perfect if it was a long saved replay in the system where you can watch your entire flight from beginning to end - with a full view passenger seat of inside the aircraft just like in X Plane 11. I hope that this happens soon. It would be a blast! :smile:

1 Like

I just spent an hour or so flying from Lake Powell to the Grand Canyon. Oddly relaxing and highly immersive. A major aspect of that is the lighting. What Asobo has delivered in that area is absolutely astounding.

I ended up carving through Marble Canyon with the sun low so it was dark at the bottom but the peaks of the canyon walls where bathed in sunlight. There was a point where the reddish light from the canyon top was reflecting in the darkened river in just the right way.

Suddenly it all opens up and the Grand Canyon looms and it triggered full suspension of disbelief; I felt literally there for a moment…

3 Likes
  • First VFR flight sim where pilotage and dead reckoning can actually be accomplished in a realistic manner.

• Actual aircraft icing

• Look of the weather

2 Likes

Hating to reply to my own message, I was premature in my praise for how well FS2020 works on my notebook computer! It did work fine but now I can’t get it to start. The blue progress bar gets just over half-way and then the program boots me back to the desktop. It has somehow synced my prefs from my desktop computer (a much more powerful and capable computer) and those don’t work on my notebook. Is there a way to NOT have FS2020 sync prefs between computers?

I need to qualify my original very happy message to say that I’m still very happy with my desktop experience but very unhappy with my notebook experience! I knew it wouldn’t run with the same video quality as my desktop but I at least expect it to run!

1 Like

My own private world. All of it. Mine. :smiling_imp:

Favorite thing? Accessibility. And good looks.

6 Likes
  1. Weather
  2. Terrain
  3. TrackIR integration from the start on
2 Likes

The environmental side of it is excellent. Really good lighting, weather and water effects, far better in that regard than any other sim currently provides.

2 Likes

I was surprised to see that the whole world land mass has not been used in the simulator from Bing Maps as previously thought. I recall that they had in fact claimed that every single piece of land from satellite imagery was going to be seen in Flight Simulator 2020? Egypt is one area not correct as it shows fake landscape to mimic the real world. The same goes for Tenerife in the Canary Islands. Where else have they not used satellite imagery I wonder? Could this be a bandwidth glitch, whereas only “made” scenery is shown other than satellite scenery?

1 Like