What has Asobo done so far for sim cockpit builders?

I try to do serious flight simming and build a huge cockpit at home. But there is not much Asobo has done to support these projects so far. There is no possibility to save pop out windows on their place or plane specific controller setups. Also ther is no support for multi screens etc. What do you think what else is missing after more than a year since release?

1 Like

They have said that there will be multiple monitor support… but we will have to wait a while.
In the mean time, you run the sim in windowed mode and drag the display across your screens. Not ideal I know, but it’s what I do (or rather used to do, until I went down the VR route) See below…

Regards
Steve

3 Likes

thats what i‘m doing, but there are so many things missing

To answer your headline question. Nothing.

4 Likes

looks at runway line running parallel to the side of the plane

Steve, that’s a proper FOV, that’s not FS2020 :wink:

It certainly is MSFS 2020 :grinning:

Regards
Steve

3 Likes

for example, on the two monitors on the bottom are 5 popout windows placed, and i have to place them every single flight again

1 Like

An in-sim solution would be preferable, but in the meantime, look into FancyZones, which is an app as part of Microsofts Power Toys for Windows 10. Makes placing your pop-out windows much quicker.

thank you for the tipp, but i‘m sick and tired of doing research for some 3rd party solutions. I require a clean insim solution for my money😉

You can’t do pop-outs or multiple screens on Xbox. That appears to be their focus atm. So don’t expect to see PC-specific or home cockpit features any time soon. Already multiple screen functionality has been pushed from 2021 to “2021-2022”. Eventually, 2022 will arrive and dev update will have it listed as 2022 only. And we’ll be lucky if we see that feature by this time next year.

4 Likes

so it seems that we‘ve bet on the wrong horse with this arcade game

3 Likes

Hmmm… keep in mind there are pitfalls with multiple screens. Two screens means 200% render scaling to keep quality. The rendering kernel has to be changed, to display only a large horizontal range, which is also the most expensive part, in terms of scenery and server load. You need a wider camera view and more render scaling…

Render scaling cannot be set on XBox, they’d have to add some switch, maybe disable it on XBox-S… That is all extra work for XBox. If multiple screens can be done for XBox, it can be done for PC easier. Developers work from a PC base, not from an XBox-base. At the top level, there is ONE set of sources, the SU-5 was not a split. When it comes, with SU8 or SU9… both platforms will get it, maybe XBox won’t. Not the other way around.

Yep, multi-screen was postponed many times. Maybe they prefer to let users install NVidia tools for it ?

They would have to add another display out.
Maybe call that version of the hardware “Xbox X multi”?

Which…isn’t going to happen. The Xbox is designed to be plugged into one display (your TV)
It doesn’t even support VR.

1 Like

nVidia’s tools is at best like stretching a newspaper cartoon with Silly-Putty™

Heckfire even MineCraft flippin JAVA has an “experimental” widescreen option.

2 Likes

You need to look up multiple screen / multiple viewports in X-Plane. You don’t understand what it is that the “multi-monitor” support people are asking for is nor the down side of just extending a main window across multiple screens

1 Like

@somethingbrite couldn’t find a way to do it either… but my answer was to Crunchmeister, he suggested they’d focus on XBox… I gave a response about multimonitor support in general. That is not easy to make with MSFS scenery quality, without drastic increase on server load and GPU.

There is no multiple monitor support for PC either and that’s why it looks vanilla with the NVidia trick. See explanation above. XPlane is not a good reference, it has no cloud-server scenery or photogrammetry.

The fact you can be outside and scan around shows that widening the view would not cause any additional server load.

Camera movement left or right “scanning around” gives popping issues related to server transfer already… what do you think happens when you have to keep a much wider area op to date all the time ?

Cloud server scenery or photogrammetry is irrelevant when it comes to multi-monitor support.

True MSFS is going to take a bigger hit to FPS than other flight simulators but that doesn’t mean the X-Plane implementation is not a good reference and I venture to say that when people are asking for multi-monitor, they mean the same type of support that X-Plane has.

1 Like

XPlane can’t be compared in this case. It does not need any server downloads, while moving the camera. It can simply widen the view when you GPU can render it. For MSFS you have a download… and a decompression, before the scenery can be shown. In XPlane, you just read it from disk. Your plane moves. Using three screens, low altitude will triple your server downloads when you want to preserve quality. Clouds same story… three monitors show 3x the amount of clouds.