What in this update broke the fps?

Simple. Deleted all mods from community folder as well as all liveries. Installed update. Hit the fly button and all was well. Yes, as I’ve said ,I have had some minor glitches but no fps drop or ctd since latest patch. That is the simple truth. I’m not a fanboy of Asobo. I fly exclusively the A320nx dev mod and the TBM with WT mods. Once again things are working well as it is many others. Trust me,I want it to bee good for all y’all.

1 Like

What if I’m sitting with 60+ mods in my community folder, I’m supposed to go around and check and make sure each building is there? I will grant you this much; yes the community folder is "use at your own risk " but it doesn’t stop me from saying they shouldn’t break anything in the first place. Yes patches should optional they could run a test sever that people can’t opt into to help test builds instead of this. And leave us with a stable build until they get newer builds to operate better instead of giving us, “Let hope it works” world wide beta routine. With a 30 day turn around.

PACO572

Exactly what I did, just like I’ve been doing with all updates since mid-fall. Then run it once with no mods to make sure all is well.

Only unlike you, the “all is well” didn’t happen.

5 Likes

It’s your choice to be sitting with 60+ mods in your community folder, and yes, it’s up to you.
If you can’t be bothered with that, then don’t use mods.

The general practice is to back up your community folder if you run into issues, and then add them back in one by one until you find the mod causing issues.

Regarding your comment that ‘they shouldn’t break anything in the first place’; it doesn’t work like that. Asobo can’t be held accountable for mods working, since they don’t make them.
Making the mods work with the current version is up to the mod author, and it’s up to you to keep your mods up to date.

None of that answers my question: how do you stop Asobo’s automatic updates borking your “tight” system?

This is happening with no mods.

1 Like

There are a significant number of people that are having problems with this update. Glad your not but pouring salt on the wounds of those that are by referring to them as “whiners” is probably not going to win you many friends. Perhaps you could to take a break from the forum and go outside and try to find some puppy’s to stomp on.

6 Likes

I used to be in your boat, for the first few big updates I would talk about how my fps was perfectly fine (and it was) while other people lamented on the forums about how their fps was in the tank. But, now with the latest world update and sim update, I’m in with the poor performance crowd, and instead of 45~55 fps, I’m getting 10 to 25 fps, and it doesn’t seem to matter what settings I change or where I fly. Could be a huge photogrammetry city, or flying over cornfields in rural America. It usually starts out fine, I can taxi and take off with pretty good fps, but after a little while in the air, it turns into stuttering frustration.

3 Likes

Not meaning this in any vindictive way towards you personally, and I’m sorry that you’ve also joined our bug club.

But I wish that would happen to more of the folks who seem to make it their mission to come into threads of people reporting issues for the sole purpose of putting down people experiencing problems, assuming we’re all having issues because we’re ignorant, computer illiterate numpties with self-inflicted problems because we don’t know what we’re doing.

It’s one thing to report that you’re not having issues, but acknowledging it’s actually happening to others, giving suggestions to help out, etc. It’s completely another when folks seem to make it their mission to defend the game / dev’s honour and put down other people who have issues based solely on the fact that they aren’t experiencing that problem themselves.

17 Likes

Merging those branches surely won’t be catastrophic, given how each one seems to cause more issues.

Not just a terrain LOD issue. The menus and cockpits are laggy as well though not as noticeable. Check your FPS while moving the mouse in the cockpit. The mouse itself feels a bit more sluggish. The bug is likely an optimization attempt in GPU/CPU load usage/memory that may be more evident in certain terrain areas than others. I believe the team has been working XBOX optimization issues as well. I would argue this is a consistent issue across the community despite some outliers due to perhaps how their specific hardware/software is tweaked and managed. I wouldn’t throw the baby out with the bathwater; this sim platform is a game changer and will undoubtedly experience issues throughout its evolution–painful as those are to all of us that simply want to fly bug and glitch free.

2 Likes

Same here. this is pissin me off !! i downloaded the update and my FPS dropped badly. Landing at KSMX (santa maria) No ai traffic, very small city, and im stuttering on approach. stuttering happens when i drop below 4000 feet. What the heck is goin on. These updates are hit or miss. Fix this ASAP.

2 Likes

We were just on a community flight with more than 30 people and interestingly a lot of them were affected by the occasional stutter-bug, and more importantly at the same time.
Most of us are flying since the beginning with more than 500 hours in the game and we are pretty good in fixing systems and tweaking even older systems to get the sim running. I for myself am on a newly and sim-dedicated machine, everything is up-to-date, and I had no CTD until World Update 3. Then the stutter-bug appeared (around one to two times per hour) and it is worse since Sim Upd… sorry Sim Patch III. I hope that there will be a hotfix, they mentioned that they already solved two bugs in yesterdays Q&A. But there are at least three different scenarios I encountered so far. The occasional stuttering, a general worse performance and a degradation and stuttering on approach to an airport which can cause a CTD in the worst case. I hope they find all of them.

Oh and in regards to that “guy” above… Just ignore him, there is a function on the profile page (the “normal” - button). If someone joins a forum and the first three postings are identical fan-boy-behaviour in three different threads, he is just here for trolling. And if someone is seeing himself as a “veteran”, boasting about how he is the best and has the longest (experience) and owns the best system… ignore

See you in the beautiful skies,

• mo
6 Likes

The stutters are very obvious indeed in this update. One thing I noticed very clearly, the drop on the fps due to work that is main thread is doing, possibly loading new orthos. It used to be like this before but the fps drop wasn’t noticable, now is like from 40 to 25 for few seconds and back to 40. Not the annoying micro stutters. Something definitely is ■■■■■■ in this update

Just for the community input . Flew 3 flights today KSBA-KSMX. 1st one was major stutters on approach to Ksmx (but I landed ). 2nd on approach to Ksmx the sim CTD when I was about 800’ high . Lastly the 3rd flight to Ksmx , major stutters on approach to Ksmx. I landed and it was stuttery to parking

I just made some test trying to find out when exactly the statteting appears.First and foremost it’s completely irrelevant with the settings and community folder status in any way.Maxed out or at minimums and community folder completely empty or full of mods/add-ons don’t change a thing.

It’s exactly the same at low altitudes as well as high up.
It’s irrelevant if you are in the cockpit,the external cam or the drone cam.
It’s slightly present on the World Map too (during zoom-in & zoom-out) but not so prominent.
It don’t depends on how much time you are in a flight,however - and this is the most strange - is highly depends on WHERE you are over the terrain!It’s like there are certain “areas” where the stattering starts.Entering that area and here it is,from 60FPS (limited by GPU) down to 15-20 (limited by Main Thread). Upon exiting the stattering area it goes away and everything returns to normal.Return back inside the same area and here it comes again.It’s like there’s some kind of boundaries all over the world where the problem arise while just outside that area nothing strange happens.
It seems there are at least 2 kinds of that “stattering areas”,the one producing the heavy ones where the sim becomes totally unplayable and another one without so prominent statters however if you look closely you can say it’s there compared with the smoothness of the 55-60 FPS.
It’s doesn’t seem for such areas to exist over water.Although my tests weren’t extensively over water bodies there wasn’t any stattering as far as I recall,but maybe I’m wrong it needs more testing over watery areas.
Most likely there’s something on terrain messes up with our CPU otherwise there wouldn’t be the indication “Limited By Main Thread” when it happens.Ah and just for the records I have an i7 8700K.Maybe after all it’s an Intel VS AMD thing…!
Let’s hope they have a way to figure out what broke our Sims and fix it.And I would like to urge as many as possible to do their own testing and report their findings either here in the forums or opening a ticket in Zendesk although they should have countless tickets opened already addressing the problem.

After all we can’t fly normally anymore so let’s try to help things out in our way to give them our feedback about the problem and help them find the solution the soonest possible so we all become airborne again.That’s what such Communities are for,especially ours as Simmers for decades now.

4 Likes

I’m finding the same and I think it’s terrain related too
Crusing at 50 fps and then slugs at 20 and picks up again once passed the block of terain
Fly back of the block and it slows again

I had a few spots like this before (melboune city centre) but no it’s happening in the middle of know where with few objects around!

2 Likes

Probably because moving across one dem/terrain mesh tile triggers the loading of the next. The periodic stuttering is the CPU choking on terrain mesh data from what I’m seeing on my end. It happens even over the ocean. Reducing the Terrain LOD slider from 165 to 35 greatly improved it for me, although it was still there. Perhaps on lesser hardware, even lower settings don’t help.

AMD 5900x
RTX 3090
64gb 3600 RAM

1 Like

In the middle of nowhere too,I forgot to mention that.It isn’t related to complex terrain or whatever…The terrain type is completely irrelevant.

2 Likes

By replying that such complaints are by “the same handful of complainers” (and this is just flat out not true either), you are indeed being dismissive of the legitimacy of his complaints. I too experienced a severe performance drop after this update. If you are tired of hearing complaining then perhaps the forums aren’t a great place for you. The point of these forums is to discuss issues more so than it is to hear about your “reports about my excellent experience”. You’ve completely diverted the topic of the conversation to nonsenical insults like telling him to “get a hug from mom and have her read you a story about the evolution of FS.” In what world is that substantive to a discussion about FS FPS issues that were inflicted by an update?

5 Likes