What is happening after SU11? - stuttering despite low cpu and gpu frametimes

Since updated to SU11 I have noticed some very strange issues. With DX 12 I have very high fps, around 55 in the analog king air and kodiak, and 50 in the fenix a320. I use openxrtoolkit, win 11, have an rtx 3090 and i5 12600. I use the reverb G2.

I noticed that when my cpu frametime is low (around 13-15 ms) the sim is stuttering, but in a strange way. It feels like my fps is halved but it is stilll in the 50 region. This problem occurred in the least performance heavy planes (like the kodiak), and never in the heavy hitter airliners (like fenix). I also observed that the cpu frametime is jumping when the stuttering kicks in. The cpu is trying to catch to gpu framtime (for example it is jumping from 13 ms to 17 ms if my cpu frametime is 13 and gpu frametime is 17).

It is looks like the cpu is waiting for the gpu. I decided to set in nvidia control panel the virtual reality pre rendered frames from 1 to 2, and the stuttering almost gone, but it is still noticeable when I look left from the left seat of the cockpit.

I also tried the turbo mode in openxrtoolkit. Got better results, but the stuttering still there.

Clearly there is some issue with the cpu-gpu communication and task management. Also tried HAGS but no luck.

Does anybody have the same problem since SU11?

Any suggestions to solve it?

Thank you!

No suggestion but I have the same problem with a Ryzen 5900x and a 6900xt. The problem increased noticeable when I changed from a 2060super to the 6900xt.
Sometimes is so hard, that the FPS is lowering to 10fps for a moment. Tried to set from ultra to low, but still there.

3 Likes

raise resolution, therefore you will get higher gpu frametimes which will actually help reduce stuttering for some reason.

Raised resolution from 90 to 110 and got worse results. Back to 90 and fps lock to 45, turbo mode on. It is almost good, but cpu fps drops still happens.

1 Like

I also have intermittent stuttering issues that seem to be completely independent of scenery, settings, and other factors. The confusing thing is that when they occur, fps is still locked SOLID to 45 and the frametimes in the DevMode FPS counter also do NOT spike, but continue to oscillate slightly, just as they do in the smooth phases. How can there be stutters when frametimes remain constant (within 2ms or so) ??

Another weird thing I noticed recently is that changing the cloud detail setting (doesnā€™t matter to what and in which direction, up or down) immediately ends the stutters, returning to full smoothness. But they soon come back, then dissappear again, back and forth every few minutes.

Anyone else get stutters that donā€™t show up in the frame time graphs, while maintaining a locked fps?

This is what I am talking about. Constant high fps, no sign of fps drops in frame time graphs and from nowhere that strange stutters kicks inā€¦ I have no idea what causes it but something is really messed up with SU11 vr.

1 Like

I agree. I can be at 18 msec for both appGPU and appCPU, and still have stutter even though I need only be under 27msec for 36Hz when using my QUest 2 at 72Hz. It can be very smooth even looking sideways since I am using Motion Reprojection but then it will start stuttering for a while.

Yesterday I tried DCS and no stutters there. This is clearly an MSFS bug.

2 Likes

Oh most definitely

1 Like

I have the issue even with lower frametimes, like 9-11 ms for CPU and 14-15 ms GPU

1 Like

Went back to DX 11. It is much better. As I see the workaround is to get high cpu frametimesā€¦ which is a nonsense :smiley:

Hi. how do you lock framerate? For me, it s only possible avec reprojection on. Thx.

Before SU11 I was locked to 45, sometimes to 30 at NVCP. Now at 45 lock: the stutter is still there sometimses, no difference. At 30 lock: a total mess, constant cpu frametime drops (was working perfect in SU 10).

1 Like

So I have changed TLOD from 100 to 200 and OLOD from 100 to 200 and the stuttering is almost gone, the screen is fluid. It looks like the stuttering starts in GPU limited situations. As long as I am CPU limited everything feels much smoother. Strangeā€¦

2 Likes

Yeah MS/Asobo have been working hard on performance issues and now itā€™s starting to all come together. This is probably why after every update complaints reading ā€œsame settingsā€ have me shouting at my monitor ā€¦ and Iā€™m just a MSFS fan so heaven knows what the actual devs must think.

1 Like

It doesnt change something. I tried low as wellā€¦still stutter.

I think Rivatuner is best for locking framerate

Yes! With Rivatuner everything is smooth now. Thanks! But let me mention this is just a workaround, something changed after SU 11. With SU 10 I had good performance without fps lock.

1 Like

Not sure if it helps but I seem to remember setting HAGS on and giving priority to MSFS in my Windows Graphical settings. I do have a 4090/13900 and have no stutters, but I rarely had stutters on my second PC 2080Ti/9900K as well.

If I get stutters the first thing I blame isnā€™t MSFS. Itā€™s third party content like mapping tools and poorly optimised planes. Also though if your settings are ā€˜on the edgeā€™ then a rebalancing between GPU and CPU settings (you get to know which ones effect each - there are some excellent tutorials in these forums) when each new patch comes out is probably necessary as well.

Good post though, poor CPU/GPU frametimes does usually indicate a poorly optimised game but MSFS is pretty complicated and so many factors could be getting in the way. Usually dialling back settings and making use of the built in FPS dialog to make sure all subsystems are ā€˜greenā€™ helps and adding back settings important to you helps but it is a faf if the previous patch ā€˜worked fineā€™, I get that.

For me though there isnā€™t an inherient stutter problem in MSFS but it is easy to break smooth frames, thats for sure.

Thanks, HAGS was my first thought but didnt help so I turned it off. Mostly agree with you but this is clearly a sim issue. With low setting and 60 (!) fps it should be performing fine, but this is not the case, still stuttering despite the high fps and low cpu and gpu frametimes. Your high end system maybe eliminates this, but the sim should be optimized to mid range pc-s as well.

Btw look at the forum, there are a lot topics about main thread and perforamnce problems with SU11.

2 Likes