What is the long-term plan to support FS2020?

I’m really curious about the long term plan to support the simulator. I think most of us realize this product was rolled out very prematurely, but now that the money is in hand, how far will it carry what is thus far been great responsiveness for bugs and updates.

I love the idea of a single cost and a ten year sim, but having a BA in accounting doesn’t allow me to be oblivious to the reality that if we want this product to live we will be required to support it. The servers, and 200 developers costs a grip-load to support long term. Everquest, World of Warcraft, Eve Online and many other extremely long lived, actively developed titles would never have stayed alive without an ongoing income flow.

This product has amazing potential long term, What kind of plan is in place to continue the profitability of ongoing development and maintenance of this product over the long haul?

Are they supposed to sell some DLC once in a while? I guess they will try to fix things before that… That s a guess

The MFS series has always been better off with the community contributing to all the fixes, additions and mods.

If anything, there is too much dev involvement right now. As we’ve seen, they’re only making it worse with these constant updates. Whichever direction this sim goes, you can always count on the community to set it right.

My $0.02… I think 10 year plan means to provide streaming data. I think in 1-2 years it will be stable product (and done), and the community and 3rd parties will fill the void going forward. Asobo will move on to other projects except serious MSFS bugs, and maybe release an addon here and there. And I’m fine with that… But we need to get to a stable platform.

3 Likes

True. You should also see it as an ecosystem. There s 3rd party developers that have an interest to see the sim succeed. Probably also hardware maker.

The servers are needed but not the 200 devs just for support.
Furthermore, most flight sims have a major update every few years, e.g. x-plane with v.5 to 11. Why not expect 3 updates over 10 years. Could repeat (same or almost) initial sales revenue each time. Lots of improvement possibilities can be seen if one thinks about it it and bear in mind the resources MS has.

I’m all fine with them moving on to other projects with only the most important fixes+updates, but ONLY after all the main bugs have been fixed and the sim is playable without worrying about AP trying to kill you for example.

3 Likes

We don’t know the sales numbers vs development costs, but fore sure MSFS being updated for many years to come will only happen if they get good numbers from DLC shares from official marketplace.
I will try to do my part.

I’ve always advocated for fs 2020 to be open source. Especially with all the problems that people are in countering with these so-called patches. When you have over 1000 third-party developers doing the job that asobo should have been doing all along that’s how you know somethings wrong. The game should be open source. Just let the community take care of the game.

In my honest opinion the game was rushed way too quickly. So now all the third-party developers have to fill in the void that asobo made.

Im sure they do have a very ambitious 10 year plan. I also think that the hardest part is pretty much done for them. It definitely will be hard, but theyve already built the foundation of something groundbreaking.

I think part of the deluge of bugs and the flurry of patches over the last month and a half or so indicates that this sim was overall attracting so much mostly overwhelmingly positive attention (and much negative when held to a higher standard) that Asobo has been pretty much taken by surprise. Everything from server issues, the short fuse patches, content pushes, marketing, 3rd party addons piling on, super-emotional playerbase (good and bad) all seems to show that if not a smashing success, it is almost universally considered a massive leap forward (or just on the cusp of it) if not the future of the flight sim genre. Nearly every 3rd party content developer is churning out (mostly great) addon content in terms of airports and even Carenado has made surprisingly great content in the case of the Mooney as only the 2nd 3rd party plane available.

It’s got everyone laser focused, and its not even out on the new Xbox yet. I can’t sit on microsoft boardroom meetings, but If I had to guess they are all wringing their hands elated but very nervous about the game’s public reception but also its growing pains respectively. Asobo is in a wild spot, they already produced something that is of downright magnificent scale, and they have partners in so many different companies like Navblue, Gaya, Orbx, the airframe manufacturers like textron etc, but they literally have to polish out the rough edges of about 30 airplanes, and a simulated 1-1 planet earth with 200 people. Not counting all the future plans they have.

Ive played now, 200+ hours, and ive only flown seriously maybe 3 planes in basically 2 regions of the planet, and im not the kind of person that just sticks around a couple airports. Not because the other planes and regions dont work or they ■■■■ or anything, but theres just so much to do. It’s not as deep as the payware from X-plane of P3D, yet - and the base game planes probably never will be. But every payware developer that ive read about is constantly pushing for improvements to the SDK to get their stuff in the marketplace as soon as possible. Many have said they know they cant yet, but they are adamant that they want to, and will if at all possible.

There will be DLC, and if they work out the kinks of the base game, that DLC looks like it very much will be worth it. With a stable base game, DLC (for example, Helicopters) can pretty much have a “greater than the sum of its parts” effect on the experience. In the sense that helicopters will instantly allow any player to play whats already base game (the environment) in a completely new way - but its the whole planets worth of cities and rooftops and airports from a completely different perspective all over again. I immediately think about cities like Tokyo that have a helipad on nearly every large building in the photogrammetry, how fun will that be to land helicopters or play an addon that involves shuttling passengers from one building to another. Hopefully that DLC will be exemplifications of novel new gameplay systems as the leap to helicopters would be, this concept should be core to what is offered as DLC; does it expand the platform in a meaningful way.

That being said I understand people’s concern, ive been burned by my passion for other games that had the rug pulled out from under them (by MS even). This does not have any of the hallmarks of that kind of project. Even if it does, one of the main things is that Asobo/Microsoft have taken to heart the fact that the community is what keeps these franchises going. So even if they do not produce additional content or the world servers get shut off way down the line, I think that the torch would be passed to the modders and community anyways… I do not get the walled-garden feel of this title that has doomed so many others… Quite the opposite actually. I see so many groups invested in this from 3rd party content makers, the devs, microsoft, the real life airframe manufacturers, Xbox team etc. That this will likely be milked by everyone who possibly can and we will probably be more than happy to take our pick of exciting new content from whoever it comes from. How much do you think they paid for all the licensing to the manufacturers - or even to Gaya to produce base game airport content that they would normally sell at 20 bucks a pop.

So if I had to guess, id take them at their word about monthly updates, but id expect really big updates like Japan about every 3 months. It’s not like they dont have room to expand the game, they will never run out of stuff to do, sounds like a great business to be in honestly.

DLC wise, I can see the following being possibilities and probably things I would pay extra for: Helicopters, High Altitude/NEO, Vintage Airplane pack (properly polished systems, astronavigation), non-combat military planes, expansion of bush flying (spotting missions, SAR), Carrier landings, Gliders, fighter jets, Major seaplane updates (including global seaplane bases). I mean its not hard to think of things, its debatable whether any one person thinks it worth putting it as DLC, worth its time or should be free. Theres just a lot of directions they could go.

Anyways, yeah I think there is a long term plan to support FS2020, all parties involved are licking their chops thinking about what kind of stuff they can get you to buy. But also, the free updates are probably seen as “platform enhancements” that add value to the things they do sell.

So, enjoy, to whatever extent you can at the moment. Yeah its got major, game breaking bugs, but I cant think of many pieces of legendary software that didnt have legendary bugs. That doesnt make it hurt any less when you get CTD on approach to Haneda after a 2 hour flight. Platform stability is key and it will make or break the long term potential of this sim. But all in all, personally, its mostly just annoying in comparison to the stellar experience of the sim when its properly working. It needs fixed if we are going to enjoy it for what its true potential is.

I expect a lot of content from all sources, maybe for longer than 10 years, but even if MS doesnt do it just look at what people are able to do for free. Heres to hopin’ it all comes together as planned :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Not having a degree in accounting. Here is how I think it will make money long term.

1. Product sales. According to the last Navigraph survey there was a HUGE spike in 20-30 year old users of flight simulation software. It was not the bell curve I had expected having genx/boomers at the top with little interest from younger consumers. There are new users coming to flight simulation and Microsoft Flight Simulator with its upgraded visuals will only bring more.

2. The marketplace. I’m assuming that Microsoft gets a cut of every sale there.

3. Decrease support costs. At some point they will start to scale down on dev’s as the platform becomes more stable, feature rich, and fined tuned.

4. The platform. MS has spent a lot building the earth simulation platform that Microsoft Flight Simulator runs on top of. I can easily see Microsoft using this platform to develop other products and/or lease out the platform to 3rd party developers. Now that the R&D is done they just have to spin up another copy in Azure for MS or another dev to start building new apps on top of.

1 Like

I wouldn’t place bets on a ten year plan at all.
Enjoy it for what it is right now.
Hard to imagine where it will be in 10 years. Could be a whole different flight game by then.

We have to hope that server costs and transport costs continue to get cheaper for both the consumers and the servers. If they’re not doing active new development and the they’re taking 30% of the cut from marketplace, the game should be fine for a while.

The hardcore simmers are apparently loaded. Saw a bunch of people drop 20 on a weather replacement addon and some are buying planes from devs that they don’t even like that much from previous experience.

The developers have clearly stated on multiple occasions that this is a long term project. They are also optimising for the new xbox so will again have an increase in sales. They have also shown that there are multiple teams focusing on scenery, aircraft, the core simulator, weather etc. I think over the next year you can expect a dramatic improvement in the core sim, additional aircraft, and constant improvement of the world data. Beyond this you will probably see stuff like additional features such as dlc for missions etc, improved collaborative multilayer, improved sdk, etc…

1 Like

They won’t be getting another cent of my money until (if) they stabilise this product.

1 Like

We must think about ONE,

this Market is going to hell, they see very big potential to take money from users as one year contracts, DLC addons payware and long time support. This is simply not acceptable and users started to be prisoners of developers games. Horrible…

I’ve closed support MSFS some time before because from my constructive and really important things what need to be changed/implemented, they didn’t care. They set better Vote and set this system to users that don’t care about simulation but nice looking things. Seriously, who will vote for G1000/3000 deeply functionality here? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think at the very least any avionics that is a part of planes that they sell as official content should be reasonably functional - I dont know just how deep they can go. But it looks like 3rd parties and Carenado in particular have asked them to work much more deeply on the G1000 and the GNS default avionics. This makes sense that they should be as functional as possible if they will be relied upon by 3rd parties. They have said they are now going to expand their functionality in the latest dev stream. The more common the avionics, the more planes that it will be able to apply to on their end, like the GNS series, they can tack that on to even older planes that they can release, so it makes sense to make it as detailed as possible. Also, I think they should be configured so that it is relatively easy to expand their functionality by 3rd parties, I do not know how hard it is at the moment.

1 Like

Agree,

can you imagine (if you see here tons of problems and frustrated people) that Asobo will prepare all what we see important? In this sim state? :slight_smile: Hope I’m very out of reality but as very long time simmer and also with real life experienced that things looks like they don’t care.

I understand how you feel and I am frustrated with many things about the current state of the game. I actually do think they care, but they are trying to draw a line between what they know they are good at or have the resources to do correctly, and what will be a complete waste of time. When they look at the default airbus and compare it to the 32NX do they really think they will be able to top what the Flybywire team is going to have in 6 months? Im sure they will fix many of the bugs that they can, and I hope they get things to a reasonable level so that people dont have to chase down mods or buy payware to get reasonably functional aircraft. Its just that dividing line is different to everyone. But things need to work by default.

I was little bit frustrated but more if I see lot of people to not have possibility to play.

Now I don’t care because looks like I start to be offened next one here and people absolutelly not read my contributions and constructive/serious additions. i don’t care but is really sad how people can be stupid and can’t look for first to self…

I don’t have still problems with MSFS, no CTDs, stability 100% but that bugs are not acceptable!