What is the purpose of Press any Key to continue?

Fair point, i guess it depends what server we’re connecting to (assuming its even accessing the server at the point) but i’ve 100mbps broadband so dont think it’s my line. It wasn’t this slow at loading during the beta.

I respectively disagree. I think this is one of the cleanest modern looking interfaces I’ve seen in a game. I really like it.

2 Likes

I personally don’t get nor care for the press any key nor pre flight cinematics.

Yes - at least with the Steam version there is a “-FastLaunch” option…it bypasses the logo stuff, but not the “press any key” thing.

Imagine this would work for the .exe if added to properties?

Right-click on the game title under the Library in Steam and select Properties.
Under the General tab click the Set launch options… button. Enter the following :
‘-FastLaunch’ (without the quotes)
Close the game’s Properties window and launch the game.

1 Like

Yes - at least with the Steam version there is a “-FastLaunch” option…it bypasses the logo stuff, but not the “press any key” thing.

Imagine this would work for the .exe if added to properties?

Right-click on the game title under the Library in Steam and select Properties.
Under the General tab click the Set launch options… button. Enter the following :
‘-FastLaunch’ (without the quotes)
Close the game’s Properties window and launch the game.

Thank you kind sir! The “press any key to continue…” now show up after only 10 seconds!

Cleanest I agree, but the elements are unnecessarily huge and takes too much space.

I have yet another opinion on this matter, as I’ve encountered the alternative in various software before.

Any time you have what is expected to be a significant loading time, it is simply a matter of good design to prompt the user that everything is ready and you wish to start. They don’t know how slowly your rig will be loading the scenario.

And they did it in a nice cinematic manner, to boot.

And what do people do?

Complain. Make it a negative.

Today I m getting this problem, when I press any key, it goes back to the same thing over and over, what’s going on? And I keep pressing the keys, but i wont load, ■■■■!

What do you mean? Nothing is loading while the “Press any key” menu comes up.

I see what you’re saying now…That makes like no sense. Thats like giving a convict a day at a shopping centre half way through his sentence just to make sure he knows what hes missing on the inside. Loads half the assests, stop the load for a little break then load the other half…

Its really simple anyone who plays games here will have seen it a million times but pay no attention because most games loads 10x faster than this one.

The game loads, it then asks you to press any key before it loads any corruptible data. This is because its coming out on console. If a console player presses a button on their controller and nothing happens their controller is not plugged in hence they have no way to quit the game without a hard reset so it wont load the corruptible data until they prove they have an input device by pressing any key.

When a game is out on a PC and a console its simply easier to leave it in rather than cause headaches in the future. That’s it… If this was a PC exclusive it would not be there but its not so it is.

Hmmm I don’t know anymore. We could all be talking about different loading prompts for all I know.

1 Like

So, why does it not say PRESS ANY BUTTON? If they took the time to code a Xbox/PC controller/keyboard check they could have just branched off and continue loading on PC.

…Cygnifick you vex me i wont lie. Are you a gamer or a simmer? Have you ever played a console port on PC? I’m not being condescending I’m just trying to figure out why you are so defensively adamant that this has nothing to do with console? “Press any key to continue” has been a by-product of console/PC shared games for as long as i can remember I’m just struggling to understand your refusal to believe its something as simple as this? Especially when it makes no difference at all? Its not going anywhere and in the grand scheme of things means nothing but you religiously just don’t want to believe it.

But you dont know for certain if this key/controller check is done for that reason or just to halt the game just before a update check (or whatever reason). And can I be both a gamer and simmer? I’ve played 1000’s of games and lots of simulators. :wink:

1 Like

You can indeed be both, im both too.

I promise you 100% that its console however I’ll leave it there, its not really important.

Just ask yourself this: Having that option serves a purpose on a console but literally 0 reason to exist on a PC. No PC exclusive has ever had this feature unless its emulated over or a console port as it serves no purpose on a PC at all. Just bare that in mind.

I hope your game is running well and you are not experiencing issues like many others on here.

1 Like

The code base will have separate language packs along side and some will reflect console input and some PC. I’ve no doubt as it stands on a console it will automatically switch the text to ‘button’. But you are quite right, why doesn’t it skip this on PC. That’s kinda the point of the original question.

1 Like

That’s what happens when you put Xbox interface programing in a PC program!
Give Xbox their junk and let PC users use their system in a PC manor!

Are we sure we aren’t getting Way too caught up in this one?

The sim has real problems to look into that they need useful feedback about.

1 Like

A grand experiment in using the same programing on PC and console that is not really doable.

Agreed. Fortunately CLIs have been making a big comeback lately. If the devs would just truly embrace the Azure Way (no more AWS!), we could have an API and CLI where you define your flight configuration in YAML and still get to wade through countless extremely well documented parameters for each command. Bonus points for supporting it on the Xbox version.

Maybe toss in an ASCII renderer too, for the folks whose GPUs melted down during the 90GB download+unpacking marathon, and also to be extra prepared for the next generation console’s RROD equivalent. Asobo could totally one-up this crazy dude: http://asciicker.com/

The more channels a product can be used the more spread out the cost is for R&D and enhancements. Consoles are computers too.