What is this flight simulator

I’ll just highlight a portion of the page @HethrMasn brought up. I hadn’t seen it till now. Tks M8!

This answers your question succinctly:

Here is just a small sampling of what simmers will find in the Microsoft Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Edition:

Historical Aircraft:

• Wright Flyer
  • Ryan NYP (“Spirit of St. Louis”)
  • Douglas DC-3
  • De Havilland Canada DHC-2-Beaver ( my note= That’s the one, right there! )

Helicopters:

• Bell-407
  • Guimbal Cabri G2

Gliders:

• DG Flugzeugbau LG8-18
  • DG Flugzeugbau DG1001E neo

True-to-Life Airliner:

• Airbus A310

Many of these aircraft were made in collaboration with the best third-party developers including iniSimulations, MilViz, Bluemesh, Aeroplane Heaven, and others.

Microsoft Flight Simulator also announced today a unique collaboration with the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum to bring one of the world’s most famous planes, the “Spirit of St. Louis,” to life in the simulator as part of the 40th Anniversary Edition.

Air cleared now?

8 Likes

The ultimate would be if msfs 2020 and gta merged. Now that would be an experience. lol.

This discussion has been going on for decades. I doubt today will “clear” things up. Lol

1 Like

Totally agree. It’s also a gateway. I’m not hard-core yet, but now that it’s finally more or less stable on my PC, I already see myself using more advanced modes and higher fidelity aircraft such the PMDG 737 and Milviz C-310.

1 Like

Good God, no. It absolutely, emphatically is NOT necessary to start another thread / discussion about this ancient topic.

Mods, for the love of all that’s holy, please lock this.

5 Likes

Great work.

1 Like

And don’t call me Shirley :airplane:

1 Like

It’s more fun than a barrel of monkeys. :call_me_hand:

I enjoy that so many others share my wonderful opinions of MSFS. It’s so much more than a game or sim. So much possibility ahead!

1 Like

THIS.

If you don’t like Santa’s Sleigh, the Pelican, any of the boats, cars, etc… then… don’t fly them. :man_facepalming:

(edit) I mean if what you’re after is high-fidelity realism, you might want to check this out.

5 Likes

Years ago, I won an hour and a half ride in a full-motion A320 simulator. In the days leading up to that opportunity, I studied the heck out of the flight crew operating manual and spent many hours flying (a much earlier version of) MSFS using a joystick to simulate the airbus side-stick controller. When I got my hands on the real thing, I had no trouble flying several circuits in a range of weather/visibility. The instructor pilot who was working with me commented that my flying was “pilot proficiency check quality flying”. Maybe he was just being nice, but like I said I had no trouble flying that high-fidelity A320 simulator. I even made a point of flying with the flight director turned off. (The instructor turned it on for me initially but I turned it off because I didn’t want it.)

So while MSFS is “just a game” and you can’t log any flight time for the time that you spend flying in it, it is a game that simulates reality sufficiently well that you can learn something about aviation and flying from it.

9 Likes

A measured and thoughtful response to nonsensical and irrelevant comments. Thankyou and well done.

9 Likes

It’s time to clear the air of inflammatory posts like these which are worded to ignite ‘you vs me’ battles and divide the community.

11 Likes

The correct answer is Yes. If you want to play, then play. Jump into a Pitts and go flippy-spinny-twirly to your heart’s content. If you want serious, get one of the study-level planes and spend 15-30 minutes programming an FMC and then a few hours crossing the Pacific. If you want something between the two extremes, get one of the many high quality smaller planes from the freeware 152 mod to the Twotter. Just like “The answer to life, the universe, and everything,” MSFS can be anything you want it to be.

6 Likes

These threads really get boring.
Newsflash DCS, XP11, P3D, MSFS are all games.

They all “simulate” flights to their best abilities.
I just get the feeling that XP11 and P3D simmers that spend literal thousands of euros/dollars just can’t cope there is a simulator that is creeping up to be the best at an insanely fast rate.
Making them regret spending so much on an old platform.

Just do yourselves a favor and fly in MSFS.
All platforms have their own issues.
But amazing sceneries and high fidelity aircraft are in MSFS and more coming at a fraction of the price of the competitor sims.

U even get the A310 for free from a group that is arguably the best airbus developer in X-Plane.

Also you are allowed to sim on multiple platforms, noone forcing you to pick one or the other.
Stop whining and fanboying and just be happy we have competition in this space.
It’s only a win for us end consumers.

8 Likes

Monk says it’s a blessing, & a curse.

1 Like

“Metaverse” earth digital twin - flight simulator, aviation simulator, all the way to low earth orbit.

Game for you since you probably just plug and play. While the rest of us actually perform from cold and dark, follow checklist, input all required information onto the FMC. Follow procedures, etc. Asobo and Microsoft managed to create a game for gamers and sim for hardcore simmers amid some bugs but what sim or game doesn’t have bugs. Given this is only 2 years old they’ll be plenty of improvements. Anyway, it is what you want it to be.

I’m unsure if it’s a game or a sim. Let’s turn this around and ask: what do you think it needs in order to make this a sim instead of a game?

The question surely is, what’s the difference between a game and a sim? They both entertain, they both have an end goal, they both require you to ‘pretend’.

1 Like