What is wrong with ATC Specifically

Hello guys, I released my EU phraseology mod, doesn’t solve everything but its a start:

1 Like

Well…changing approaches is working well except that you can’t actually change the runway! Getting the approach you want is somewhat invalidated when it is followed by “circle to land…” on a runway I don’t want!

1 Like

You can request a different runway. I’ve seen that option several times.

Figures. They messed it up again.

ATC has been way worse since the patch when it comes to altitudes on approach. Almost every flight I’ve taken since Tuesday had resulted in me being at my cruise altitude until I’m basically at the airport. They tell me to drop to the correct altitude for my instrument approach. Then while I’m still on far too steep of a descent, they tell me to go back up to a higher altitude.

Me too, but that no longer seems to be option after changing your approach.

1 Like

Recent exchange with ATC approaching Salzburg. All of these in the space of a couple of minutes!

1 Like

We certainly don’t want them speaking as fast as they do in real life Thanks. If you want that much realism, use Vatsim. This is a game for people of mixed interest in and ability to follow aviation procedural theory. The game and its ATC system has to cater for everybody. ATC that speaks as fast as they do in real life would be very difficult for many to follow.

4 Likes

861007b0bf7b4534786e66f6d92cecd1

114 miles. I’m afraid my eyes are too bad to spot the runway (especially with this low LOD)

2 Likes

He clearly stated he’d like a way to change the speed of ATC, not to make it fast for everyone by default.

I’ve noticed this as well. We’re now getting these types of instructions either WAY too far out, or way too close to the destination airport.

To be honest I don’t mind the “report rwy in sight” that much. It’s much better than being vectored into the mountains

1 Like

Indeed. But when you get dropped down from FL310 to 3000 feet 1/3 of the way through a 300NM trip and there are 5000 ft mountains between you and your destination, it’s a problem. Had this scenario happen to me just yesterday. ATC seems to be getting worse each time they touch it.

1 Like

I think the fundamental problem is that radar vectoring was removed from the simulator and replaced with functionality to generate a continuous end to end RNAV flight path by rubber-banding procedures together with bogus USER waypoints. Then “radar vectoring” was added to those RNAV flight paths by giving you the option to request a vector to your next waypoint on that bogus RNAV path.

That method is a bad idea that does not work.

I talk about that in more detail here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/still-expecting-vectors/263353/15?u=flyingbear01

1 Like

Yes I know what he clearly stated but the practicality of having a variable speed for ATC is more complicated than it sounds. They have enough issues with other things so the likelihood is they would just change the default speed, not give us a variable slider which adjusts pitch automatically to compensate for speed change in the voices.

Speed adjustment of text to speech has been a part of TTS since it was first shoehorned into Windows 25+ years ago. It’s a matter of a slider to select the speed. I don’t know how this would overly complicate things. This is old tech that already exists.

Well without knowing how the voice system works its pure speculation how easy or difficult it would be I grant you. All I know if Asobo seem to be having enough problems getting things that are already in the sim working properly without adding something else that may go wrong. If people want fast realistic ATC vatsim is the best way forward and light years beyond what any automated ATC system can provide.

Not arguing that. Vatsim is by far the best option for the most realistic experience.

But I still wouldn’t mind the option of adjusting TTS speech. But certainly not requesting it. Like you said, they seem to have some issues understanding what people ask and when they deliver on our wish list, it’s usually not what people actually asked for.

2 Likes

lol! yeah quite.

I completely agree with you. Which is why it would be nice to have a choice in the settings.

I’ve heard accents that aren’t American.

I guess they COULD be American, since we have people with accents from all over the world, but they aren’t American-originated.

Apologies for reviving an old thread and I’ll admit to only having skim read it but have searched and not found it mentioned that ATC routinely sets altitudes for unpressurised aircraft above 10000ft, despite specifying Low Altitude Airways and setting the cruise altitude below 10000 in the navlog. A recent flight in the Xcub from Gdansk to Hamburg had me ordered to FL220 immediately after hitting the inital climb altitude. Requests to reduce the cruise altitude are ignored until you get to the ordered altitude, which of course you can never achieve.

3 Likes