What is your favourite weather conditions?

My favourite is live weather.

7 Likes

That’s exactly what I was going to type as I saw the subject!

Whatever it’s doing outside in the area I’m flying is my favorite. I always fly real time, real weather.

3 Likes

Live weather, although I’m not a fan of it being mostly visual only. The lack of atmospheric forces eliminates a lot of the challenge and excitement of flight in my opinion. However, the new solar radiation feature of SU9 and wind gusts coming back to live weather for SU10 are big steps in the right direction. Looking forward to having to put a bit of thought into planning my flights. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Live-weather for sure, I liked live-weather better before su7 though. I like the thermals they added in su9 and also looking forward to gusts in su10. I only wish i could turn off the new METAR-blending and only use the old Meteoblue weather that felt much more unique and different everytime i was flying. Sometimes i could just stop and look at the sky as i can do sometimes IRL when i see a rare sky. Now the sky looks mostly the same all the time with comulus-clouds everywhere.

5 Likes

Real weather, real time.
I’ll look for something sunshine on takeoff with weather on an ILS landing. That way I get the views for the 1st half of the flight and a challenge on instrument landing.

1 Like

Live weather isnt exactly a condition. Its a means to get to certain weather conditions. My favorite was always flying hurricanes in my trusty e-6. Ah good times. Last hurricane I flew into in MSFS it looked good, but the storm itself was grossly unsatisfying.

My live weather never shows ANY clouds.
I call that garbage condition and I do not like it.

I only fly VFR so my favorite is live weather … as long as it’s VMC :rofl:

Love scattered clouds, pushed higher in altitude, sunset. Magic hour right there!

4 Likes

I almost exclusively use live weather and time unless I specifically want to try a new aircraft out or guarantee i can see the scenery. If the weather is bad where I want fly I tend to try and find an alternative location and stick with live weather/time. I hope at some point historic weather is possible though as with other weather apps for alternative sims.

2 Likes

Yes live weather all the way. I never use custom

1 Like

Yes always live weather. Shame the devs seem to only use presets as they don’t seem to be noticing the regressions in live weather.

3 Likes

Live weather always for me.

1 Like

I am always using my own presets. Time’s too valuable for spending it in
bad weather conditions. I am only flying VFR, so no view, no flight.

Scott

1 Like

The problem I have with Live Weather arises from a combination of my local haunt and the time of day/night I get to fly the sim. Namely, I take off in the Los Angeles basin and have to contend with the nightly marine layer (a low 100% overcast), even if I slide the flight time into daylight hours. No sightseeing for me unless I want to skim rooftops.

Live weather pre SU7.

3 Likes

Custom if I’m VFR and want to watch the world go by.

I’ve just started a journey from EGSS Stansted to YSSY Sydney in my 310R (via various stopovers) and am using real-time and real weather for that.

It all depends what I’m doing and, to a lesser degree, where I’m doing it.

2 Likes

I ususally fly VFR so I like to be able to see what I’m doing. The visual experience is important to me.

Because of the unrealistic levels of contrast in the sim brilliant sunshine is too bright and complete cloud cover is too dark. The only clouds depicted in the sim seem to be cumulus and they don’t look quite right on their own particularly because the brightness contrast in any large cloud looks overdone.

If the real world weather is too cloudy I go for a pre-set…usually “few clouds”. I may customise the wind.

The only place we get any turbulence and the aircraft will get tussled is through mountains. Going through a cloud because theres no way around? Nothing, smooth sailing.

I only use live weather, but to give an actual answer, I love when it’s raining. There was a moment about a year ago where there were rain showers and thunderstorms around me, but also breaks in the clouds with sunshine peeking through. I could navigate around the rain showers, or fly thu them. I could visually see the rain showers to avoid them, and the sunshine mixed with rain… it was incredible. It was probably the most fun I’ve had in the sim. I’ve yet to come across weather like that again.

3 Likes