What is your most memorable aviation experience?

Just as the title says - what’s your most memorable experience in aviation?

For me, it’s when I took my first flight in small, 60 year old Cessna with a friend of mine who owned an airplane. We took off from my home airport and flew around our town for a little while. I remember how amazed I was at flight and how I knew it was going to be my passion in life :slight_smile: :airplane:

6 Likes

Easy…in 98, got the chance to sail out of SF Bay aboard USS Carl Vinson for Friends & Family day. They conducted launches from the deck, supersonic fly bys, as well as landings while we watched from a cordoned off area of the flight deck (got tours throughout the ship of course too). Absolutely spectacular once in a lifetime aviation experience to witness that up close as a civilian.

5 Likes

For me it is when I went for my first solo flight in Cessna - It was only circuit but still to this date I remember the day and aircraft reg. I didn’t even knew I was going solo that day - my instructor stepped out off the airplane and said “It is now time do this on my own”

7 Likes

Hmm, that time the pilot came on the PA and said we probably won’t be able to take off for our flight to Heathrow, then a minute later said “Nevermind!” and we rolled onto the runway and didn’t stop until the arrival gate!

2 Likes

Second flight ever was the return from EGHH to EGAA… gate 49, anyone remember that in 1987?

I was 11, the flight out from Aldergrove was a 737. I hated (and still do) the 737 because IMHO its a pig ugly aircraft. I really wanted to fly in a Trident but they were being phased out at the time. The outward leg was the 737 and I was gutted. My father worked for the Ministry of Defence and flew from Belfast to London regularly on Tridents, One Eleven’s, the occasional Vanguard and even a Tristar once and I wanted to emulate him rather than fly on this little horrible stumpy boring jet.

Anyway, the return flight had been delayed for hours and eventually we got to board the shiny new 757, Kilo Victor, arguably the best looking aircraft Boeing has built. Got the jump seat the whole way home and 11 year old me was completely in awe. One of the best experiences of my life.

3 Likes

Beside the obvious first solo, check rides etc. one that stands out was landing on 22 right at Bos Logan as a 15-year-old kid with my instructor and then following the follow me truck to the ga ramp.

4 Likes

Shortly after getting my PPL and flying my wife in a C172 for an hour to her favourite winery, with its own beautiful grassed strip, for her birthday, and surprising her with lunch in the restaurant (not the cheaper cafe) and 12 white roses. Followed by a lovely dusk flight home. Absolutely perfect beautiful weather and scenery all the way. Cheers.

6 Likes

Unable to choose between…

Flying over Central Park, VFR, no flight plan, no PPR, with my french accent and a Canadian registered C172 :wink:

Flying with my father over his house with a Cirrus in the center of France

Making circuit at St-Barth with a PA28

Making a flight tour in Bahamas with a C172

Flying with my wife&daughter for vacations all around the west US coast

Landing at KATL, with a rented C172, VFR, no flight plan at 5pm week-day

… and some others…

8 Likes

I was maybe 10 years old and the plane was departing Sarasota for the flight back to Milwaukee after a long visit at Grandma’s in Englewood.

The weather was very unsettled, with patches of rain and sunshine scattered all around the airport. As we lifted off and began the climb out, the plane flew through sun, rain, sun, rain, and then as I looked down through the window I saw a bright circular rainbow underneath us. It was spectacular, and I’ll never forget the wonder I felt.

2 Likes

It’s an even split between two.

First would be the first flight I can remember ever taking at the age of four(?) in a single Cessna of some sort. It was on a Sunday after church out of W88. The pilot was Baxter Scott.

Second is the “orientation” lesson I took on my 40th birthday out of KBUY. 30 minutes in the left seat of a C172 because “I’ll only turn 40 once!”

4 Likes

On a Westjet flight from Toronto to Calgary a few years ago, that fathful request came over the intercom. (Is there anyone on board with medical experience?) Being a retired Paramedic, my wife raised my hand for me. There was a woman on board that had lost consciousness. She had had hip surgery earlier in the day in Toronto, then the stuck her on a plane to Calgary. After the exam she regained consciousness. The flight attendant asked if the pilot should divert, I asked where we were and she said close to Winnipeg. The woman said she felt better so we continued on. About 30 minutes later, the flight attendant again called on the intercom to ask me to come forward as the woman again lost consciousness but was awake now. By this time we had gotten closer to Calgary so the pilot elected to continue on.

We arranged some passanger so the woman could lay down further in the seat. The flight attendants were very gracious and offered me anything I wanted on the rest of the flight. (I should have asked to fly the plane :slight_smile:

After landing the woman was removed by Calgary EMS, the pilot came back to thank me and after taking my contact information, they later sent me a $200 flight voucher. Decent, as I wasn’t expecting anything, it’s just something I’ve done most of my life.

9 Likes

I was 5 in 1976 flying west to Los Angeles to visit my grandmother and go to Disneyland for the first time, this was also my first time in an airplane.

Mind you this was way prior to 9/11, and once we were at cruising altitude a flight attendant asked if I wanted to visit the cockpit!

We were in an American Airlines 727.

She pinned a pair of plastic wings on my shirt and walked me up to the front.

She opened the cockpit door and I was just overwhelmed by all the dials, switches and lights.

Then I looked out the front into the setting sun we seemed to be chasing.

The flight engineer took over from the flight attendant and explained some things and let me sit in his chair.

I was in the cockpit probably for 5 minutes but that alone started a life long love of aviation that persists to this day, I am 52 now.

I may have gone to Disneyland for the first time but I remember more about that time in the cockpit than anything else on that trip!

7 Likes

Haha! Definitely.

Summer 1987 “Centro Universitario de Aviación” (Aviation University Center) Argentina. Flying alone. Wind shear in short final with a C152. Automatically I’ve put the nose down, when speed was recovered the plane was over the runway head. The landing was normal. When I join the witnesses them told me taht the Cessna was stabilized almost 3 meters above the ground. Only at this moment I had being consious of the dangerous situation and the importance of the training on emergency maneouvering, in those situations are not time to think.

4 Likes

A specific flight in the C-414 Chancellor from home base, Corpus Christi, to KTEB for a week of NYC. Last fuel stop was Richmond VA and weather had turned hard IFR. I filed requesting 9000 to stay below the 0C level in the solid overcast, and received a clearance to TEB that involved at least a dozen segments winding up the East coast avoiding the DC area, Baltimore, Philly, etc. LOL I had to sit on the taxiway and work my way through the clearance finding every waypoint on the charts. This was before GPS and EFBs, we had VORs and Loran. Anyway, long flight solid IMC frequent ATC deviations and we finally lined up to intercept the ILS06 and as we descended for the approach we broke out of the overcast and to my starboard was the entire Manhattan skyline all lit up and massive. That was a heck of a sight after a intense flight.

7 Likes

I raced a Boeing 727 - yes you read that right, LOL

1 Like

Reminds of my trip to Scotland, and our round on the Machrihanish Golf Club, an Old Tom Morris links course that borders the Campbelltown Airport.

1 Like

That is exactly how my instructor did it too. We had been doing touch and goes for an hour and he said make the next one a full stop. He had me taxi off the runway and stop the plane. He then opened the door and said I want to see 4 touch and goes. Now our C150 did not have a radio. It was in the shop being fixed. I asked him what do I do if I get into trouble? His reply was to apply what I learned. I had this feeling of dread and then total excitement come over me. I said “Cool” and he closed the door and walked away. The feeling of being in the air by myself and looking down and thinking that those people on the ground are missing out on this was awesome. I messed up only once. On my third touch and go I forgot to turn off the carb heat before climbout. I knew something wasn’t right and after a few seconds of thinking about it I was like “DOAH!” Turned the carb heat off and the plane climbed like normal. I loved the way my FI surprised me. I would have worried so much if he had told me I was going to solo on a certain day. I was 17 and it was July 1979. I still remember it like it was yesterday.

5 Likes

For me it was the day I passed my private checkride. It was such a massive amount of preparation up to it. It was a marathon of a day ,and when I shut the engine off and he said “Well sir, its a pass.” Never feel that feeling again. First solo was kinda cool too but it came and went so fast, and then after solo it was back to stalls and more tough training, so I think its the checkride thats better.

6 Likes

The history of this airfield is very interesting….

1 Like