What plane is this?

I can’t recognize this plane…anyone know what type, brand etc this plane is?

Looks like an older Beechcraft Bonanza with a v-tail.

3 Likes

This seems to be an article on the incident: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2020/11/23/light-plane-lands-on-highway

1 Like

Correct, it’s an older Bonanza, a precursor to the G36 in the sim.

Best I could research, apparently the V tail was discontinued over a possibility, or perhaps more of a reputation, of structural issues. Best I could tell it was never really proven to necessarily be more dangerous, but in general the V tail was more susceptible to instability if poorly maintained or damaged, and the traditional stabilizer and rudder config is more robust in general. I suppose that is why they went with it going forward and dropped the V-tail altogether.

It is an interesting read if you look into the history of the Bonanza in general. As a very aerodynamic and fast GA plane it had a rocky safety reputation for a while due to it being a bit too much plane for pilots who started flying them without much type specific experience. Pilots used to much more forgiving aircraft like high wing Cessna’s got in over their heads given everything in a Bonanza needs to happen a bit faster to keep it in the air.

Also, check out the tip tanks on that plane! The little bulbous features on the wingtips hold extra fuel capacity.

It’s a B35 Bonanza. These were originally produced just after WWII and I still see a few here locally. I’ve heard they tend to sway back and forth due to the lack of a true vertical stabilizer, but I’ve never flown in one to know that first hand.

They’re sure a pretty aircraft…

That is the famous “Forked Tailed Doctor Killer” - otherwise known as a Beech Bonanza. The name came from their once less than perfect safety record and the fact that they were often bought by lawyers, doctors and suchlike.