What PSU with a 3090?

I have just ordered a RTX3090 beast and wonder what kind of PSU is necessary? What are you 3090 owners use?

Current setup:
AMD 7500XT
Ryzen 7 5800X
32 MB Ram
Gigabayte X570 Ultra Mobo
BeQuiet 720W PSU
HTC Cosmos

Thanks in advance, Marcel

Corsair HX Series HX1000 — 1000 Watt 80 Platinum
H100i liquid cooler

1 Like

I got a Corsair RM 850X when I upgraded to my 3080. Its 850W. I guess the 3090 would need the same or slightly higher.

1 Like

750 bare minimum with your CPU. Given the price difference I would go with 1000 for some future proofing.

Nvidia recommends a minimum of a 750watt PSU with the 3080, so id probably just jump up to a 1000watt PSU for a 3090

Corsair rm850x. Works fine.
Whatever you get, use two cables instead of one.

2 Likes

I overclock both my 5900x and 3090 and it runs stable with a Corsair RMX 850w. Your mileage may vary. Many seem to go overkill with the PSU. However, an argument for going more on the wattage is that some have reported power spike issues with the 3000 series cards.

2 Likes

Steve, Jay, And Linus all say 850w minimum because the 3090 has short power spikes all the way up to about 450w. I would say get a 1000w, better to have your psu working at 80% than 100%

Thank you all for pointing me in the right direction! I ordered a 1000W PSU, just to be on the save side. With the posibility of using two cables. I just saw Nividia recommends three 8pin cables. Is that really necessary? I dont plan to overclock…

I have been using a 1000watt 80 psu for 6 years now, still going strong :+1:

I’ll start by saying I have a 3080 not a 3090.
I have my PC, monitor and all my usb controllers (thrustmaster warthog, pedals, racing pedals and fanatec wheel, VR headset etc…) running through an inline monitoring device that allows me to see voltage, current and watts for the whole system.

In VR whilst flying over Miami with PC fans on full it pulls 480W maximum.

My pc is set to run with fans always at maximum, liquid cooled cpu running at 5GHz on all cores all the time. Like I said with a 3080 so pretty hungry.

So a 500W PSU is out of the question for me (even after removing the wattage for peripherals it would be running too close for comfort.

I don’t think 1000W is required is what I’m trying to get at I suppose…

Wow, that was a scary experience: I installed a LC1200 (just because it was in stock and a one day delivery) and nearly ruined my new mobo. Could not get this thing to work. Random shutdowns, not booting up the CPU everytime and other strange quirks. So I reinstalled my old trusty 720W PSU put the 3090 in, booted up, tested all my sims and games and all is running well to date. As stated, I do not overclock and use balanced settings in general and ultra only where I see benefit. That said, everything run very quiet with only DCS a bit more demanding on the GPU. Good Combo I think:

Gainward 3090
Ryzen 7 5800X
32 MB Ram @3600
Gigabayte X570 Ultra Mobo
BeQuiet 720W PSU
HTC Cosmos

So thank you all again for the tips
Marcel

Just received system from XForcePC with an I9 ten core CPU and they put a 850 PSU in the system.
Pulls so much power it depletes the 850va standby battery I use for frequent power outages we have here. So wishing I had a 1000 PSU since I run ultra on everything.

I think I saw that film a while ago. What was it…oh yes, “Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?”

In my case blind as a bat and out of control.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.